VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Wouldn’t they just roll over last years? Might be few adjustments with U19s and 3rds and maybe the odd venue change but you would think 95% of the work is already done
I'm led to believe the fixture for the Premier grades will be the same , no reason to change.

Wouldn’t they just roll over last years? Might be few adjustments with U19s and 3rds and maybe the odd venue change but you would think 95% of the work is already done

One would think so but I dare say lower grades might have a few changes with teams per club ie seniors, reserves, thirds.

All this talk of clubs potentially leaving VAFA or folding due to lack of numbers, D3 & D4 could be mered into one? Anyone shed any light on this?

One would think so but I dare say lower grades might have a few changes with teams per club ie seniors, reserves, thirds.

All this talk of clubs potentially leaving VAFA or folding due to lack of numbers, D3 & D4 could be mered into one? Anyone shed any light on this?

D4 is going back to 8 team comp from memory. 3 dropping back from D3

Nothing like a rumour to perhaps generate some conversation. This one has been gathering legs for a while and release of fixtures yesterday has poured some fuel on the fire.

Don’t shoot the messenger but word is Parkdale have asked to play in C grade in 2021. As 3rd placed team in C grade in 2019 Ormond was asked to come up but declined (shame as an Ormond v DLS would be a blockbuster). OGs (9th in B in 2019) given next crack. If they don’t it will be offered to Monash Blues who have indicated they are happy to play in B grade if OGs decline.

Perhaps explains why Premier and Div. 1 fixtures posted last night but not B and C.

Anyone from any of these clubs able to either substantiate or refute?

Last edited:
Disappointing Ormond so soft and won’t take the challenge especially with the recruits they have, seems like they would be more than competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing like a rumour to perhaps generate some conversation. This one has been gathering legs for a while and release of fixtures yesterday has poured some fuel on the fire.

Don’t shoot the messenger but word is Parkdale have asked to play in C grade in 2021. As 3rd placed team in C grade in 2019 Ormond was asked to come up but declined (shame as an Ormond v DLS would be a blockbuster). OGs (9th in B in 2019) given next crack. If they don’t it will be offered to Monash Blues who have indicated they are happy to play in B grade if OGs decline.

Perhaps explains why Premier and Div. 1 fixtures posted last night but not B and C.

Anyone from any of these clubs able to either substantiate or refute?

We will have a crack if no one else will.

Disappointing Ormond so soft and won’t take the challenge especially with the recruits they have, seems like they would be more than competitive.
It's absolute crap believe me so don't talk crap. Parkdale are down in numbers but will stay . Ormond would jump at the chance with the list on board and it was only a shitfight behind the scenes that stopped them being in B.

It's absolute crap believe me so don't talk crap. Parkdale are down in numbers but will stay . Ormond would jump at the chance with the list on board and it was only a shitfight behind the scenes that stopped them being in B.
You really so sure it's "absolute crap"? Refer page 75 in today’s HS. And the part about Ormond declining the offer came from one of your club’s top dogs. Have no issue with clubs wanting to earn promotion but disappointed from a home game lunch, post-match point of view as DLS v Ormond would be huge. OGs probably best placed to come up but not sure they are keen according to below article. Only got relegated on the back of an absolute pantsing in Rd 18 in 2019. Also reckon Old Ivanhoe and Mazenod have the structures to make a go of it also. Parkdale unlikely to be in B grade in 2021 and unlikely to be in the VAFA in 2022.

VAFA ponders musical chairs

ON the subject of the VAFA, word has it that Parkdale Vultures have requested to be demoted from B Grade to C Grade for 2021 as the club attempts to rebuild. That would see the last team demoted from B Grade in 2019 (Old Geelong) reinstated, although it’s believed the Como Park lads under new coach NATHAN BROWN (ex-Old Melburnians) would prefer to win the right to get back into B Grade.

That leaves Monash as next cab off the rank (given it was the first team to be demoted from B in 2019) or former powerhouse Ormond, which finished third in C Grade in 2019

You really so sure it's "absolute crap"? Refer page 75 in today’s HS. And the part about Ormond declining the offer came from one of your club’s top dogs. Have no issue with clubs wanting to earn promotion but disappointed from a home game lunch, post-match point of view as DLS v Ormond would be huge. OGs probably best placed to come up but not sure they are keen according to below article. Only got relegated on the back of an absolute pantsing in Rd 18 in 2019. Also reckon Old Ivanhoe and Mazenod have the structures to make a go of it also. Parkdale unlikely to be in B grade in 2021 and unlikely to be in the VAFA in 2022.

VAFA ponders musical chairs

ON the subject of the VAFA, word has it that Parkdale Vultures have requested to be demoted from B Grade to C Grade for 2021 as the club attempts to rebuild. That would see the last team demoted from B Grade in 2019 (Old Geelong) reinstated, although it’s believed the Como Park lads under new coach NATHAN BROWN (ex-Old Melburnians) would prefer to win the right to get back into B Grade.

That leaves Monash as next cab off the rank (given it was the first team to be demoted from B in 2019) or former powerhouse Ormond, which finished third in C Grade in 2019
Ormond will be playing C grade , if anyone goes up it will be a demoted team. Ando's writes crap at times. The rumour of Parkdale going to the s**t footy league has been around for several years now.

Ormond will be playing C grade , if anyone goes up it will be a demoted team. Ando's writes crap at times. The rumour of Parkdale going to the sh*t footy league has been around for several years now.
I know a bit more about this now than I did yesterday when I posted it as a rumour. Parkdale have made an official request to play C grade in 2021. That is a fact and the B and C grade fixtures are delayed as a result. However there are no guarantees that the VAFA will grant the request as they are concerned about the precedent it might set. A couple of clubs have been sounded out about the possibility of coming up if Parkdale’s requests is approved. One flat our rejected and the other is considering but likely to decline.

I agree the Parkdale rumours about going to the SFL come up every year but for a combination of reasons this time it is different.

I know a bit more about this now than I did yesterday when I posted it as a rumour. Parkdale have made an official request to play C grade in 2021. That is a fact and the B and C grade fixtures are delayed as a result. However there are no guarantees that the VAFA will grant the request as they are concerned about the precedent it might set. A couple of clubs have been sounded out about the possibility of coming up if Parkdale’s requests is approved. One flat our rejected and the other is considering but likely to decline.

I agree the Parkdale rumours about going to the SFL come up every year but for a combination of reasons this time it is different.
I heard a bit yesterday at cricket from a couple of people close to the sauce that they will stay.

We will have a crack if no one else will.
From what I recall the bottom end of B was pretty ordinary in 2019, it was that long ago that I’ve almost forgotten. Any top 4 team from C in 2019 should be confident of enough wins to stay in B if given the opportunity. However, I’d rather see a team go winless and relegated the traditional way than giving up before the season starts, for all they know half a dozen teams are in a similar situation after the year off.

From what I recall the bottom end of B was pretty ordinary in 2019, it was that long ago that I’ve almost forgotten. Any top 4 team from C in 2019 should be confident of enough wins to stay in B if given the opportunity. However, I’d rather see a team go winless and relegated the traditional way than giving up before the season starts, for all they know half a dozen teams are in a similar situation after the year off.
It was a bloody long time ago but if memory serves De La got relegated after winning 6 games, which included a victory over your mob. However depth was not Premier quality and when key players were out they got opened up like a tin of peaches. Carey won in Rd 1 but lost the next 17.

The top 4 were miles ahead but not a lot between positions 5 and 9.

Tend to agree that lots of clubs will be doing it tough. I know that all the momentum my club gathered pre the 2020 seems to have evaporated and expect many will be in the same boat. Things must be crook at Parkdale if they are waving the white flag already.

Whilst on B grade - Blacks and Haileybury very active on the recruiting front and look the teams to beat.

It was a bloody long time ago but if memory serves De La got relegated after winning 6 games, which included a victory over your mob. However depth was not Premier quality and when key players were out they got opened up like a tin of peaches. Carey won in Rd 1 but lost the next 17.

Tend to agree that lots of clubs will be doing it tough. I know that all the momentum my club gathered pre the 2020 seems to have evaporated and expect many will be in the same boat. Things must be crook at Parkdale if they are waving the white flag already.

Whilst on B grade - Blacks and Haileybury very active on the recruiting front and look the teams to beat.
Can confirm Ormond in C grade , would rather go up deserving to which is the If right way and the Ammo way . If this is allowed it sets a precedence that would never change. All clubs go through tough times and this is piss weak , maybe they deserve to be in the s**t footy league

Briza was talking about B/C not A/B wasn’t he?
Agree with his comments.
2021 is hard to work out form wise.
Saw a few Scotchies at the Geebung and they think they have recruited extremely well. Extremely well indeed!

Thanks for the explanations. After what’s happened in the past twelve months with Covid and the year’s break, it’s understandable that some clubs might have issues with their playing lists. Hopefully, things will settle down in the coming year.

I wonder how the university clubs are going in light of the fact that more and more classes will be done by remote meaning less time on campus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back