VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps the VAFA could have use/d "reserve days" like how local cricket leagues do if a game gets washed out?
Instead of bad weather, it's for potential short sharp lock downs like we're in at the moment? That way no points will be missed out. I note local cricket werent prepared for this (fair enough given the short time frame to get a season going). But last weekends game are all missed and counted a bye/no round.

Have to expect there'll be more lockdowns until a vaccine is introduced, which might be some time away given how far back Australia is in the rollout compared to many other advanced/first world countries

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps the VAFA could have use/d "reserve days" like how local cricket leagues do if a game gets washed out?
Instead of bad weather, it's for potential short sharp lock downs like we're in at the moment? That way no points will be missed out. I note local cricket werent prepared for this (fair enough given the short time frame to get a season going). But last weekends game are all missed and counted a bye/no round.

Have to expect there'll be more lockdowns until a vaccine is introduced, which might be some time away given how far back Australia is in the rollout compared to many other advanced/first world countries

Aren’t the cricket leagues prepared? Most I’ve seen have postponed the games and will wait to see if it stops at 5 days before trying to fit the games in.

Glorious One

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good story as always by Paul Amy about the struggles of Parkdale , they accept they might have to be in B and no one else is keen to replace them . Would set a dangerous precedence to allow them to go down . It would just open up the floodgates for others to find an easy way out.
They have a massive junior club affiliation through Mordi-Brae so they should be fine if they work that relationship.

blueblood005

Senior List
Apr 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
25407CAF-F6C0-40F7-9A74-CA9A57E7FBE7.jpeg

anyone know who?

Jimmyjack

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They have a massive junior club affiliation through Mordi-Brae so they should be fine if they work that relationship.
Mordi-Brae feed a ship load of senior clubs – SMBT, Edi-Asp, Mordy and others. Parkdale have done well from this alignment in the past but kids probably won’t be rushing to a club that is battling.

Agree with Bedders about the precedent and we can’t have clubs dictating where they want to play. However after reading the Leader article I do have a better appreciation of their battles and they seem to have a solid case. Owen Lalor is a well-respected in VAFA circles and not one prone to housing the white flag without good reason.

Surely someone in C grade want's to have a crack?

Jimmyjack

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How did De La manage to nab Minchington?
Good to see some elite talent going to B grade clubs other than Old Haileybury and Uni Blacks. I only know what I read on the club communications but all seems to be explained in this Leader Local Footy article. Is paywalled so I have attached full article rather than the link.

The list of former AFL players joining the VAFA lengthens by the week.

Clever former St Kilda and Hawthorn midfielder Darren Minchington is the latest ex-league man to link with the amateurs, joining De La Salle.

It’s another coup for De La, which a few weeks ago appointed Melbourne AFLW coach Mick Stinear as its head of football.

“He’ll slice it up,’’ one rival coach said today after learning Minchington would be joining Premier B.

The right-footer arrives at De La Salle after two years at Hawthorn, where he played four senior games. He had previously had 28 matches with the Saints after being drafted from the Dandenong Stingrays in the 2012 rookie draft.

De La beat a number of clubs to the signature of Minchington, who is living on the Mornington Peninsula.

“A tough, goal kicking forward and midfielder, Darren has all the attributes to make a big impact in the VAFA,’’ the club said.

“His presence is sure to add some genuine class to what we are sure will be a very competitive playing group in 2021.

“As expected competition for a player of Darren’s quality is fierce so we are thrilled he has chosen to make De La Salle his home. Ex-AFL players do not just land on our doorstep and significant efforts were made behind scenes to secure employment. We are grateful to those involved, particularly Tom McMahon, for making this happen.’’

It’s believed Old Haileybury was particularly keen but the De La Salle was able to secure him employment in the waste management industry.

The club had already secured former North Melbourne VFL player and Collegians star Fraser Cameron as it prepares for the 2021 Premier B season under returning coach Dave Madigan.

Madigan steered De La to a grand final in 2009 and a preliminary final in 2010 before going on to roles at Box Hill Hawks and Knox, which he took to a premiership in 2017.

Stinear is a former De La player and his role will entail coach mentoring, player development and club leadership across the men’s, women’s and junior teams.

“We are rapt to have Mick on board with his experience, leadership, insight and passion for all things De La,’’ president Matt O’Callaghan said.

“Mick’s coaching experience at AFLW and TAC Cup will stand the club in great stead as we embark on our goals for the 2021 season. That Mick is a past player and school captain is an added bonus for the club.’’

Stinear was a development coach at Melbourne in 2016-2020 and head coach of the Oakleigh Chargers from 2014-16.

May 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are the VAFA going to announce if the under 19s will be playing a top 4 or top 6 finals series? Or are they going to wait until the last round of the season to decide again. Shocking integrity for that 2019 finals series in the lower 19s grades.

Size4

Draftee
Aug 21, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are the VAFA going to announce if the under 19s will be playing a top 4 or top 6 finals series? Or are they going to wait until the last round of the season to decide again. Shocking integrity for that 2019 finals series in the lower 19s grades.
Standard form would be to decide beforehand in a secret meeting and then not bother to tell anyone

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Was talk in 2019 and at the start of last year about VAFA changing rules to allow clubs to sell alcohol throughout the seniors. This seemed to get shelved with the Covid shutdown, is this still on the cards??

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Reading the NFNL thread seems like they're going with no water boys (Covid) and are implementing the man on the mark rule from the AFL

Anyone have any news on whether the VAFA is heading in the same direction?

TBH, I would absolutely hate to see both come in.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Reading the NFNL thread seems like they're going with no water boys (Covid) and are implementing the man on the mark rule from the AFL

Happy with the bar open , as long as it's indoors and maybe to HT. Would hate that man on the mark rule to come in and we need to give the 50m the arse

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Happy with the bar open , as long as it's indoors and maybe to HT. Would hate that man on the mark rule to come in and we need to give the 50m the arse

Man on the Mark rule is hard to police at AFL, let alone local football. There's enough to deal with for local umpires, lts not add a silly rule that as well. I hope VAFA dont implement this rule.

What's the talk to South Mornington, are they in the clubbies comp? I thought they had left to join SFNL or Mornington Peninsula league?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

No, VAFA are not implementing the man on the mark rule.

Back