VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton

The payments between leagues is discussed in the article.

And club president calling for more league umpires as two clubbies were forced to call off a match:

I know the VAFA has previously identified trouble making matchups and they’ve got full panels even down in D4. Although I suspect the EDFL it’s probably 90% of clubs!!!

But those figures for some of those leagues are unbelievable, who’d umpire The top division on Southern when you can earn more in the lower divisions elsewhere?

zeroseven

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2007
city
AFL Club
Collingwood
VAFA apparently have again failed to pay their umps on time (again) for apparently the umpteenth time in 4 years. no player umpiring footy on a Sunday & if they did that would soon quit as they only get paid a little over 110 ish for a lower game match or 99 for wowmens games it's not really massive money then add to it you never get paid on time... does it look attractive to you ?

Well i might as well declare I'm going to the VAFUA meeting tomorrow night. Not happy the pay is late again. How hard is it to push some buttons? I have one key question. WHY?

This could/will be my last year and I think I'd rather coach umpires that wave the flags anymore. Got sent to the wrong bloody ground.

RednWhite

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I know the VAFA has previously identified trouble making matchups and they’ve got full panels even down in D4. Although I suspect the EDFL it’s probably 90% of clubs!!!

But those figures for some of those leagues are unbelievable, who’d umpire The top division on Southern when you can earn more in the lower divisions elsewhere?
There hasn’t been a serious incident like this for a while in the EDFL. There is the occasional niggle like in all games, yes even VAFA games. Some clubs have tried hard rid their clubs of players and parents who are known to cause trouble.

vafaeye

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2009
Melbourne
There hasn’t been a serious incident like this for a while in the EDFL. There is the occasional niggle like in all games, yes even VAFA games. Some clubs have tried hard rid their clubs of players and parents who are known to cause trouble.

THE EYE

STARTING A WEEKLY VAFA TV B Grade next week

"WHAT ABOUT THAT UMPIRE!"

Mon Blues v Mazenod

2nd quarter 24 min mark ohhhhhh was that a concussion head slam?

:devil:

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
THE EYE

STARTING A WEEKLY VAFA TV B Grade next week

Mon Blues v Mazenod

2nd quarter 24 min mark ohhhhhh was that a concussion head slam?

:devil:
Not a good look, but no. Correctly paid a free kick.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Clubs happy to pay mercenaries $1000 a game, but squeal when umpires ask to be paid a fair amount.

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Not a good look, but no. Correctly paid a free kick.
Need to see the girl from St Mary's got 4 weeks for a sling. (15th minute final quarter). Didn't appear to be that severe an incident, but the OX player was hurt badly, with the game being abandoned. Consequence over action in this case. In my opinion should appeal the severity.

vafaeye

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2009
Melbourne
Need to see the girl from St Mary's got 4 weeks for a sling. (15th minute final quarter). Didn't appear to be that severe an incident, but the OX player was hurt badly, with the game being abandoned. Consequence over action in this case. In my opinion should appeal the severity.

Out of touch Maxwell

Game abandoned - lucky to get 4 given concussion is the word of the moment!

THE EYE

:shoutyoldman:

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Out of touch Maxwell

Game abandoned - lucky to get 4 given concussion is the word of the moment!

THE EYE

:shoutyoldman:
So the result injury is more important than the action. It wasn't a body slam tackle, it was a player being slung by her jumper. Deserved a penalty, but not 4 weeks. Your example at the Mazenod game was more physical and dangerous, but because the player got straight up, no penalty.

McCartin versus Gaff. Both were the same type of hit, one player gets less weeks because the injury to the victim was less. Ridiculous.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
So the result injury is more important than the action. It wasn't a body slam tackle, it was a player being slung by her jumper. Deserved a penalty, but not 4 weeks. Your example at the Mazenod game was more physical and dangerous, but because the player got straight up, no penalty.

McCartin versus Gaff. Both were the same type of hit, one player gets less weeks because the injury to the victim was less. Ridiculous.
Gaff was a bigger hit , nothing to do with Ammo's

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Gaff was a bigger hit, nothing to do with Ammo's
Was it a bigger hit coz he broke his jaw? Using this as an example.

The sling was from a jumper grab, not a body slam tackle. I still say a tough penalty especially when women play 4 fewer games a year. Effectively a 5-week suspension for the men.

Max "See ya Saturday" Leader

RednWhite

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Correct the outcome overrides the action.

TheArmy

Debutant
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
wonder how our head overlords volunteer umpire coaching is going (the coaching he bragged about in his weekly rant sorry I mean article) anyhow still zero assistance for volunteer umps..

I think that’s just the way all footy is heading from the top down. Eventually we will all know that the outcome is more important than the action.
Using a criminal law analogy - if you threw a punch at someone in the street and they end up with:

1. Minimal/superficial injuries; or
2. bad injuries from which they recover fully; or
3. Life threatening injuries leaving them permanently incapacitated; versus
4. Fatal injuries causing death

You would receive differing levels of punishment based on outcome/suffering to victim.

Why should actions on a football field be any different?

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Using a criminal law analogy - if you threw a punch at someone in the street and they end up with:

1. Minimal/superficial injuries; or
2. bad injuries from which they recover fully; or
3. Life threatening injuries leaving them permanently incapacitated; versus
4. Fatal injuries causing death

You would receive differing levels of punishment based on outcome/suffering to victim.

Why should actions on a football field be any different?
Just view the incident. It wasn’t a 4 week action. The girl just landed awkwardly. What hurt the accused was he4 behaviour after the incident. Carried on like a tool.

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Thanks for not answering the question ScoMo 😜
Because the action causes the result.

I punch you, and you get a split lip, I punch Bedford and I break his jaw. Same action different result. Remove the action no split lip or broken jaw, simple! Result should be irrelevant.

Again watch the incident. Not a 4 week action.

Max "Where's Dan the Man" Leader

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Because the action causes the result.

I punch you, and you get a split lip, I punch Bedford and I break his jaw. Same action different result. Remove the action no split lip or broken jaw, simple! Result should be irrelevant.

Again watch the incident. Not a 4 week action.

Max "Where's Dan the Man" Leader
Try it tomorrow champ

Back