VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

No probs. There was a meeting last night. The club has apparently decided to stick out the season rather than fold. They will struggle with the loss of players. Word is a money man/player was paying players out of his private account which affected the salary cap. SFNL looking into it.
Play stupid games, always comes back to bite.

Appreciate the current news as always. Interesting developments - well done.

Big doings at SFNL club St Kilda City. Mass walk out . Players not paid 2 days before clearances close. Dale Swan gone to Pines. Major sponsor pulled pin. Just a bit of news outside of VAFA.
Dale Swan, is any relation to Dane Swan ????

No probs. There was a meeting last night. The club has apparently decided to stick out the season rather than fold. They will struggle with the loss of players. Word is a money man/player was paying players out of his private account which affected the salary cap. SFNL looking into it.
SFNL looking into it. !!!!!!!!! That will go no where, i'd suspect they have allot more pressing issues to be worried about such as legal proceedings pending!!

XavsAFL have suffered three forfeits from opponents today. Everyone scared of playing the red and black mafia
If they shared some players with other clubs they may not be in the same position😱😱.

It is getting harder every year to get reserves teams together during the European summer. It’s just a fact if life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want to know the best way to kill off a footy club? Get them to lose by 200 points each week.
I think one of the biggest issues when some clubs have an extraordinary number of sides. When these players in the past would have arrived at other clubs in the area. Which would assist is keeping as many as possible viable.

Currently rumours exist around Ivanhoe and parade to the northern league, St. John’s to southern and queries around the return of old mentonians and also old Westbourne. Will be interesting off season for sure…

Could we see some mergers? Jocs and doveton eagles getting back together, or jocs and masala? Eley park and BHN could be another…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sadly I can see mergers being on the agenda yet again. Society is very different now. I see it at a premier section club, I could only imagine that these few issues, which seem to be societal and across all sports / divisions being further magnified further down the divisions:

1. Players not making playing football a huge part of their identity, i.e. most sides I see every week playing in the reserves would have 90% of players under 24. Blokes just don't seem to have either the time or desire to continue to play 2s footy once they start full time work is what I have seen.
  2. Sport is either serious or social, if you can't get a game in the seniors, blokes don't want to come and train twice a week, they would rather play in the thirds, train once a week at best.
  3. Commitment shown off the field is waning and waning terribly. You have to now beg blokes to come up on a Thursday night for dinner, where as 10-15 years ago it was stock standard everyone would come up for a feed post training and have the teams read out.
  4. The ability for volunteers to put their hands up is seriously worrying. Far too few are doing far too much and almost anyone you ask to come onto the committee runs away at the sound of it.
  5. Work demands for players have increased and playing footy for the love of the game doesn't quite have the same appeal that it used to. For example, I know of a player a few years ago at our club who works at a desk (non-tradie) who had a concussion in a game and was off work for the best part of 10 days post being knocked out. Blokes weigh it up and think, is it really worth it and they decide to do other things. Even this year and last year, we have had players with multiple concussions who I know closely monitor their symptoms.

I don't see this sort of stuff changing. I have rather radical idea to get rid of the reserves competition and merge the under 19s with the reserves into an under 23 competition where you can have up to either 6 or 8 players over 23 playing, because there is rarely more than that currently playing at that level.

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back