A Section VAFA Premier 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big results. Claret and Stout goneski.
Oh Trinity...what did you do to the football gods 2.5 years ago. One can only assume it has something to do with the burning bush. Or in your case..hedge.
SKOBS rolled into $1.05 and we are still taking some nice bets. Have received via Twitter some very large action.
Schulz and Brown running amok up forward would have been a site for all AFL fans to enjoy. Incredible stuff.
Not sure how good my mail is here, but was told that Paul Murphy was heard before the game saying re Josh Kelly and Levi Casboult..'don't rule us out. I realise Carlton and StKilda are front runners..but don't rule us out' watch this space..

T’s really only have themselves to blame. Have only lost one player from the group that was good enough to finish on top after the H&A rounds last season. Conversely, they were playing a team who finished 5th last year and have lost 4 or 5 genuine stars and another half a dozen very capable ‘A’ grade players. Yesterday with a full-strength side they coughed up a 5 and a half goal lead to an opposition who were significantly depleted.

De La might lack class but they lack nothing in ticker. Have won 5 games by less than 10 points this season and several others when trailing at ¾ time. Man for man they had De La covered easily. But for resilience, mental toughness and will to win it was no contest.

T’s really only have themselves to blame. Have only lost one player from the group that was good enough to finish on top after the H&A rounds last season. Conversely, they were playing a team who finished 5th last year and have lost 4 or 5 genuine stars and another half a dozen very capable ‘A’ grade players. Yesterday with a full-strength side they coughed up a 5 and a half goal lead to an opposition who were significantly depleted.

De La might lack class but they lack nothing in ticker. Have won 5 games by less than 10 points this season and several others when trailing at ¾ time. Man for man they had De La covered easily. But for resilience, mental toughness and will to win it was no contest.

Agreed. DLS have been awesome and are all heart.
T's side on paper is still rock solid.
I saw them play against the Sharks and it was there method that was left wanting. What they lacked that day was a coach. A game plan to play into and with the wind. The..'it's up to us, we need to win this for our supporters, for ourselves' speech was great, but the players had no idea what to do or how to do it.

Agreed. DLS have been awesome and are all heart.
T's side on paper is still rock solid.
I saw them play against the Sharks and it was there method that was left wanting. What they lacked that day was a coach. A game plan to play into and with the wind. The..'it's up to us, we need to win this for our supporters, for ourselves' speech was great, but the players had no idea what to do or how to do it.

They lacked a coach because despite taking them to 3 GF's in 4 years they sacked him the week before. For on field talent they sit only behind the ‘big 3’. Another observation is that compared to other teams many of their players spend an extraordinary amount of time complaining to the umpires. If you play the victim all the time eventually your will develop that type of mentality.

Hope they stay up. A good club and I much prefer a visit to Marles over a double dose of uni main any day.

On that note - memo to B grade clubs. Please make sure we get one more years respite from those feral bogans at West Essendon. Not the players as they are fine but those abusive, one eyed clowns who support the club.

They lacked a coach because despite taking them to 3 GF's in 4 years they sacked him the week before. For on field talent they sit only behind the ‘big 3’. Another observation is that compared to other teams many of their players spend an extraordinary amount of time complaining to the umpires. If you play the victim all the time eventually your will develop that type of mentality.

Hope they stay up. A good club and I much prefer a visit to Marles over a double dose of uni main any day.

On that note - memo to B grade clubs. Please make sure we get one more years respite from those feral bogans at West Essendon. Not the players as they are fine but those abusive, one eyed clowns who support the club.

Yep. Those crazy old men are not fun for any opposition team. Plus it's a long drive.
I also love visiting Trinity as I'm likely to stop in at either Carey or Marcellin as well for a quarter. Sometimes both. The triple treat is rare, but when it occurs it makes for a solid Saturday. You normally get a cliff hanger somewhere.
The only thing good about travelling to the Uni.. in order are..
1. A couple of players girlfriends and the ex Blues coaches wife (smoken..)
2. Afternoon tea spread. Delicious.

Canada, been any takers for the 7/1 on offer for SKOB's for the triple crown - Premier Blokes, Premier Women & U19s?

I'm sure there would be plenty at those odds. Maplebet has them at 11/2, so not quite as generous.
We see their unders as a good chance, but any of the finalists can win it. SKOBW and SKOBAFL are locks with us. It's certainly shaping as a skobtastic year. Which all diehard APS fans will embrace in some way..

I'm sure there would be plenty at those odds. Maplebet has them at 11/2, so not quite as generous.
We see their unders as a good chance, but any of the finalists can win it. SKOBW and SKOBAFL are locks with us. It's certainly shaping as a skobtastic year. Which all diehard APS fans will embrace in some way..
Would make a great TeeShirt.

Great to see the VAFA Integrity Division come out today with a 'Nothing to see here' conclusion on the SKOB affair.

Hopefully it's now put to bed.

Let's celebrate what they have done importing all this incredible AFL talent. Get out and watch them. Come finals time they are sure to be all playing, so it will be a treat for all footy fans.

mr canada,

as you know i am an avid follower of your work here and like you think that it is fabulous the t.h.king boys have come out of the conjecture as pure as the driven snow. even more fabulous for all clubs is knowing that investigation findings will be on the basis of “the evidence provided” and pro-active fossicking into clubland and/or related employerland is not needed. a win-win.

Big results. Claret and Stout goneski.

Oh Trinity...what did you do to the football gods 2.5 years ago. One can only assume it has something to do with the burning bush. Or in your case..hedge.

SKOBS rolled into $1.05 and we are still taking some nice bets. Have received via Twitter some very large action.

Schulz and Brown running amok up forward would have been a site for all AFL fans to enjoy. Incredible stuff.

Not sure how good my mail is here, but was told that Paul Murphy was heard before the game saying re Josh Kelly and Levi Casboult..'don't rule us out. I realise Carlton and StKilda are front runners..but don't rule us out' watch this space..

your boys are definitely in the sh1thompson mr canada. i am tipping that under the vafa “ what you provide” integrity operation that your boys will have your eyes on dan hannebury, josh kennedy and maybe take a shot at getting jobe to run around again in 2018. so when you open maplebet for 2018 i will have a monkey on your boys to really muscle-up in the recruiting stakes.

i am sure you will agree it is exciting times.

for the love of it.

it is a big ask but would love to see your worker dees take the flag jimmyjack. it would be a great result for our comp.

along with brown your coach is the best coach going around. sign him up.

it is a big ask but would love to see your worker dees take the flag jimmyjack. it would be a great result for our comp.

along with brown your coach is the best coach going around. sign him up.

Absolutely agree NI. Would be an enormous effort to take this group to a finals berth considering the depth of quality in A grade this season. I recall Rooster, who sadly no longer frequents these parts, lauding Satterley’s efforts at keeping what was at best was a mid-table B team up in A grade in 2014 and they have remained in the top half since.

It must be discouraging for gaffers in A grade ranks to come up against clubs that you know you will never be able to match on the recruiting front. Getting De La in finals or keeping St Bedes in A grade is a much tougher task then getting SKOBs a flag or Uni Blues into a GF.

Absolutely agree NI. Would be an enormous effort to take this group to a finals berth considering the depth of quality in A grade this season. I recall Rooster, who sadly no longer frequents these parts, lauding Satterley’s efforts at keeping what was at best was a mid-table B team up in A grade in 2014 and they have remained in the top half since.

It must be discouraging for gaffers in A grade ranks to come up against clubs that you know you will never be able to match on the recruiting front. Getting De La in finals or keeping St Bedes in A grade is a much tougher task then getting SKOBs a flag or Uni Blues into a GF.

Not sure James Walker would agree with you here. Talking JW..he's an up and comer!

Not sure James Walker would agree with you here. Talking JW..he's an up and comer!

Walker has some very decent cattle at his disposal. While his ex AFL players did not play anywhere near as many games as Schulz Jamer, Salopek, Brown etc, he does have the luxury of having several players who were good enough to appear play at the top level.

A much easier tasking coaching the Blues than say the Blacks or Beaumaris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker has some very decent cattle at his disposal. While his ex AFL players did not play anywhere near as many games as Schulz Jamer, Salopek, Brown etc, he does have the luxury of having several players who were good enough to appear play at the top level.

A much easier tasking coaching the Blues than say the Blacks or Beaumaris.

This year..yes. But there are swings and roundabouts with all clubs.
All achievements are hard fought and won IMO. But I do agree with your point to a reasonable amount of extent.

Xavs must be pretty embarrassed about not making finals this year.

Huge recruiting drive and marketing push in the pre-season to try and match it with their Catholic counterparts looks to have been a failed adventure.

Heads will roll no doubt!

Huge recruiting drive and marketing push in the pre-season to try and match it with their Catholic counterparts looks to have been a failed adventure.

They're still a chance. They beat OT next week and the Lions roll DLS and it's 2 points in it with two rounds remaining.

Mathematically at least, only the top two guaranteed a finals berth at this stage, and relegation still not sorted.

From my experience as an outsider..this is not unusual for Xavs in this exciting, crazy and volatile VAFA caper. But what will be most important is how they bounce back from this. You can never win them all, but it's nice to win 3-4 every decade to keep the history books and honour boards updating nicely.
Xavs will expect a flag in the coming seasons and will do everything they can to achieve this goal. Just like 9 other sides will endeavour to do in Premier section.
History suggests success will be just around the corner, but you can never take anything for granted. Will heads roll Chazz? Time will tell. I'm sure new ideas and bold efforts will ROLL in..
Gonna be a ripping final series. Can De La continue to just find enough to win for another 6 weeks? Can a full strength Wesley or Blues do it?
Or are they all just playing for 2nd as Maplebet suggests?
Gripping.

Should Xavs fail to make it..........2 Coaches in 2 years?.....I would like to see that.

Xavs far from dead. DLS have Collegians and Uni Blues both away and would not be expected to win those. Probably start favourites against OMs at home so should finish on 11 wins. Xavs play Trinity (8) and Blacks (9). While neither are easy beats Xavs would start favourites. They then have Collegians at home in the last round. Could be a dead rubber for the Lions while Xavs will likely have everything to play for. Win all 3 and they probably play finals.

But if they don’t ….. a big fail. Reigning premier who recruited strongly would surely have been expecting to at least figure in the big dance.

Xavs far from dead. DLS have Collegians and Uni Blues both away and would not be expected to win those. Probably start favourites against OMs at home so should finish on 11 wins. Xavs play Trinity (8) and Blacks (9). While neither are easy beats Xavs would start favourites. They then have Collegians at home in the last round. Could be a dead rubber for the Lions while Xavs will likely have everything to play for. Win all 3 and they probably play finals.

But if they don’t ….. a big fail. Reigning premier who recruited strongly would surely have been expecting to at least figure in the big dance.
From time to time, Old Xavs do miss finals off the back of a flag. It is tough, but not every flag can be backed up with another.

The small silver lining of this calamitous and undeserved misfortune is the unbridled joy that it brings forth in so many others.

Im with you JJ. Xavs still definitely in the race. They are a well run, play it hard, club.

Im with you JJ. Xavs still definitely in the race. They are a well run, play it hard, club.

Certainly hard to be critical of a club that's won 13 of the last 22 flags on offer and is the reigning champ. Bouncing back is what they do very well.

FWIW surely we are due for a post from someone in particular regarding finals venues?

It would be a good idea if the VAFA could stage the 2017 VAFA Premier Grand Final at Trevor Barker Oval in Sandringham. Imagine how big the crowd would be if St Kevin's plays off against Collegians, or Old Xaverians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back