A Section VAFA Premier 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else see De La's own Tim Silvers is the new CEO of the Hawks. Another mover and shaker from the VAFA ranks.
Think it's an interim appointment at present while a recruitment firm searches the market.

Nonetheless it places him in a good position to get the permanent 'nod'

Think it's an interim appointment at present while a recruitment firm searches the market.

Nonetheless it places him in a good position to get the permanent 'nod'

Hand on heart .. methinks you might be right !

It's no surprise to me as Wesley is currently being smashed at Maplebet. Every second bet is for them.
Currently:
SKOB AFL - $1.50
Wesley - $3.10
Trinity - $5.00
Xavs - $7.00

Not much interest beyond that.

Maplebet considers it a bit of a lock down lock 4.

Cant have Xavs at $7.00...swap them with Wesley and put OT on $7.00 as well.

So keep SKOB as favourites then? Whilst Canada's odds and general style to posting is just to get a rise out of everyone on here, I personally can't agree as SKOB didn't show a huge amount in 2016, have lost Salopek, Jones and Bail, yes they have added 3 ex AFL but let's see how they fit in to Ammo level footy first.

Penski thanks for sharing that article, reading through the list of additions I would agree with previous posters' that these are just the types that tend to excel at VAFA level. Mid 20's, used to having to win own ball as VFL closer to VAFA in style IMO than the big league.

And finally if Xavs haven't really lost any and have added the 3 or so mentioned this week then look out.

Wesley have recruited super well.
Inside word at Xavs is that they are hoping to make finals knowing what SKOB and Wesley have been able to attract. From there (finals) anything is possible. Dream big!
But hard to compete with what others are achieving off season...

So keep SKOB as favourites then? Whilst Canada's odds and general style to posting is just to get a rise out of everyone on here, I personally can't agree as SKOB didn't show a huge amount in 2016, have lost Salopek, Jones and Bail, yes they have added 3 ex AFL but let's see how they fit in to Ammo level footy first.

Penski thanks for sharing that article, reading through the list of additions I would agree with previous posters' that these are just the types that tend to excel at VAFA level. Mid 20's, used to having to win own ball as VFL closer to VAFA in style IMO than the big league.

And finally if Xavs haven't really lost any and have added the 3 or so mentioned this week then look out.

2016 form is no more than an indicator F28. Factoring in the disruptions you had off field and injuries to key players it doesn't tell us that much about 2017 really.

When taking account of your AFL influx, new coach with a good record and hopefully a reasonable run with injuries you deserve being the reddest of hot favourites for the silverware.

Anything less would have to be regarded as a failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Young back to Uni Blues, fair pick up!!!

Have said this before but last year, man for man, Uni Blues had the best list in the VAFA and by some margin. Several with AFL experience and a heap of players who played senior VFL football. While they could rarely get them all on the park at the same time, overall and considering the talent at their disposal they underachieved.

I could be wrong but had been told by a UB powerbroker previously that Ross Young is not playing. Maybe Brian is thinking of the Young recruited from the Bendigo League?

Xavs will be untouchable.

Adding Ambrose, Golds, Scarce and Waller to an already stunning lineup will make the reigning premiers unbeatable.

Going back-to-back will be their benchmark anything less and it'll be a poor season for them - Making finals will be a cakewalk for this list.

Adding Ambrose, Golds, Scarce and Waller to an already stunning lineup will make the reigning premiers unbeatable.

Going back-to-back will be their benchmark anything less and it'll be a poor season for them - Making finals will be a cakewalk for this list.

They will be favourites and deservedly so but they were hardly unbeatable last year. Hit form at the right time but many balanced observers reckon they might have pinched it last year. OT dominated large parts of the GF but some poor conversion, particularly in the 3rd when they were all over Xavs, cost them in the end. Like all good sides Xavs found a way and good on them.

If the wraps on Scarce are true, then that is a handy quartet but would argue that the additions at another club’s rival or even surpass those.

Got to agree with Rooster.....Xavs didnt have a star studded list. Really just crept up in the Finals and snatched it. Good on them.
Even with those additions compared to some other Clubs,( ie : OT, UB). I think it would be fair to say Xavs went in as underdogs
in the 16 GF... It will be a lot closer than people think...game on.

They will be favourites and deservedly so but they were hardly unbeatable last year. Hit form at the right time but many balanced observers reckon they might have pinched it last year. OT dominated large parts of the GF but some poor conversion, particularly in the 3rd when they were all over Xavs, cost them in the end. Like all good sides Xavs found a way and good on them.

If the wraps on Scarce are true, then that is a handy quartet but would argue that the additions at another club’s rival or even surpass those.

The question is whether or not Xavs are likely to make finals. It's a lock they'll play finals (if they don't it's a huge failure). And then you only need to look at their track record of what happens when they make it into finals. So they must be odds on favourite to take it out again.

SKOBS had one of the best lists on paper last year but they weren't able to put it all together, even on the back of a 20-0 season. The same applies this year until they prove otherwise, regardless of their recruits.

Collegians had the one of the best defences going around, SKOBs leaked plenty. It's easier to add players that want to attack than it is to add players that want to defend. And I believe the players Collegians have recruited will help tremendously in that area.

Unfortunately for SKOBs, I suspect the new additions won't be making defence their primary objective. Even if Brown plays in defence I doubt he'll want to do anything more than play as a loose man.

Obviously this is my armchair opinion but I said the same thing last year about Xav and anything less than a premiership was a failure, they went on a BIG recruiting drive last year if you remember. I also said that OT were a good, well-drilled side but didn't have what it took to take home the silverware.

2016:
Thomas
Howe
Bruno
Noonan
Goss
Johnston
Johnston
Johnston

2017:
Ambrose
Golds
Scarce
Waller

All very very good players, especially at VAFA level - Best recruiting of any ammo's club.

Have said this before but last year, man for man, Uni Blues had the best list in the VAFA and by some margin. Several with AFL experience and a heap of players who played senior VFL football. While they could rarely get them all on the park at the same time, overall and considering the talent at their disposal they underachieved.

I could be wrong but had been told by a UB powerbroker previously that Ross Young is not playing. Maybe Brian is thinking of the Young recruited from the Bendigo League?
Was just relating what I heard from Quinten Gleeson. They also have the ex North bloke with the dodgy ankle playing.

The question is whether or not Xavs are likely to make finals. It's a lock they'll play finals (if they don't it's a huge failure). And then you only need to look at their track record of what happens when they make it into finals. So they must be odds on favourite to take it out again.

SKOBS had one of the best lists on paper last year but they weren't able to put it all together, even on the back of a 20-0 season. The same applies this year until they prove otherwise, regardless of their recruits.

Collegians had the one of the best defences going around, SKOBs leaked plenty. It's easier to add players that want to attack than it is to add players that want to defend. And I believe the players Collegians have recruited will help tremendously in that area.

Unfortunately for SKOBs, I suspect the new additions won't be making defence their primary objective. Even if Brown plays in defence I doubt he'll want to do anything more than play as a loose man.

Obviously this is my armchair opinion but I said the same thing last year about Xav and anything less than a premiership was a failure, they went on a BIG recruiting drive last year if you remember. I also said that OT were a good, well-drilled side but didn't have what it took to take home the silverware.

I think OT's will be the "big sleeper". Seems odd to say last years runners up as being a "sleeper". But they are a fab club who know how to
blend their talent into a good fighting force. Twice runners up 15 and 16. They will definitely be about for this season. I am suggesting top 3.

I think OT's will be the "big sleeper". Seems odd to say last years runners up as being a "sleeper". But they are a fab club who know how to
blend their talent into a good fighting force. Twice runners up 15 and 16. They will definitely be about for this season. I am suggesting top 3.

Would have to agree with you there. Though would it be a fair assessment to say they would again need a really good run without injuries to ensure they solidify finals? Whilst true of every team, if I recall they stumbled through the middle of 2016 but their strong start and a reasonable end to H&A meant they secured top 2, and in 2015 they also had a great run when it comes to injuries.

Their core as a group is brilliant, a genuine team but I have a question on their depth if they lose a few. I'm sure the hunger is still there, backing up after 2 close GF losses would sting. Is Iezzi confirmed? Heard a whisper last year was it for him, though the loss may have changed things.

Have to agree re OT's..both with them being a genuine contender, but also on their greater reliance on key players to stay fit than most.
Trinity had an incredible number of players in 2015 play 16-20 games. Can't remember off the top of my head, but was like 15 or 16 players.
Unheard of.
And last year when injuries hit, they did stall.
Perhaps they have improved depth post season?
But certainly a big chance. Most punters had them beating the Xavs last year.
Big wraps on Xavs, Wesley, Trinity and SKOBS.
Uni clubs always hard to guage.
Roosters Rambos also flying under the radar.
Not much love for the 2 new comers and the Gazmen...

Have to agree re OT's..both with them being a genuine contender, but also on their greater reliance on key players to stay fit than most.
Trinity had an incredible number of players in 2015 play 16-20 games. Can't remember off the top of my head, but was like 15 or 16 players.
Unheard of.
And last year when injuries hit, they did stall.
Perhaps they have improved depth post season?
But certainly a big chance. Most punters had them beating the Xavs last year.
Big wraps on Xavs, Wesley, Trinity and SKOBS.
Uni clubs always hard to guage.
Roosters Rambos also flying under the radar.
Not much love for the 2 new comers and the Gazmen...

While Beauy are rumoured to have attracted some big names, very little news coming out of Brindisi St. I see 2014 B&F winner Tim Doherty is back from Oakleigh plus a few depth players but not many others. Have also heard one of their best players might have retired or is taking a year off. They are tough to beat on that small ground of theirs but will need a lot to go right if they are to figure in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back