A Section VAFA Premier 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the VAFA, the South Australians haven't put up the SA team on their website. In the main, the VAFA have gone with the same team that beat Victoria Country last year.

Tip for the state game: Victoria by 60pts.

Sent from my 4055T using Tapatalk

I’m tipping Vics by 15 pts. South Australia are a great team. Will be close all day IMO.

It's far better Jase. No comparison between A grade now and 30 years ago. Speaking of Russell Barnes good to see his young bloke getting a run tomorrow.
a little history lesson 'jimmyjack'.In '82 and '83 the VAFA beat the VFA much to the shock of the football world.Thats the equivalent of beating the VFL today! they came close to repeating the performance in '85.Players from those sides were immediately snapped up by League clubs(Bennett.Honybun.Brown).These days a big deal gets made if a vafa player gets drafted or gets a VFL game.Remember League football back then only had 12x20 spots available each week not 18x22.Going back a little further some amateur players were even guaranteed senior League games(Bourne,Maguire.Cordner).Don't think there's too many running around today with that invitation

a little history lesson 'jimmyjack'.In '82 and '83 the VAFA beat the VFA much to the shock of the football world.Thats the equivalent of beating the VFL today! they came close to repeating the performance in '85.Players from those sides were immediately snapped up by League clubs(Bennett.Honybun.Brown).These days a big deal gets made if a vafa player gets drafted or gets a VFL game.Remember League football back then only had 12x20 spots available each week not 18x22.Going back a little further some amateur players were even guaranteed senior League games(Bourne,Maguire.Cordner).Don't think there's too many running around today with that invitation

No need for the history lesson DD. I’m old enough to remember those games, in fact I remember them well. Albeit the halcyon VFA days of the 70s were over, they still got a very rude shock. Like most metro comps they saw the VAFA (or lilywhites) as soft school boys with silver spoons. Those games did much for the reputation of the VAFA, just like the three pantsings we dished out to the EFL over the last decade.

Since the Amateur rules were relaxed to allow those from paying comps to return the comp has got stronger and stronger year. No slight on those who have gone before but there is more elite talent now than ever before. You could pick another two sides from those not playing today who would give today’s rep team a run for their money.

A combined SKOB and Collegians team would be better than this VAFA team, although this basically is that!
Hate to say it but Chopper waaaaaay past this level. Barney’s boy dominating!

A combined SKOB and Collegians team would be better than this VAFA team, although this basically is that!
Hate to say it but Chopper waaaaaay past this level. Barney’s boy dominating!

There are guys out there, that if playing at SKOB or Collegians, would be in their best couple of players. But yes, these two are our strongest clubs.
Handley is slow. Really slow. Xavs look for him a lot. He shouldn’t have been picked today. But he has been a great over the years. But never again. Treacle.

VAFA TV could learn a lot from it's SA counterparts when it comes to streaming live football. Watched a quarter of the state game today, and I have to say the SA Amateur FL TV camera work was very good, in fact much better compared to the VAFA TV coverage of last year's Premier Grand Final at Sandringham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need for the history lesson DD. I’m old enough to remember those games, in fact I remember them well. Albeit the halcyon VFA days of the 70s were over, they still got a very rude shock. Like most metro comps they saw the VAFA (or lilywhites) as soft school boys with silver spoons. Those games did much for the reputation of the VAFA, just like the three pantsings we dished out to the EFL over the last decade.

Since the Amateur rules were relaxed to allow those from paying comps to return the comp has got stronger and stronger year. No slight on those who have gone before but there is more elite talent now than ever before. You could pick another two sides from those not playing today who would give today’s rep team a run for their money.
Your point about the VFA standard having declined slightly is a valid one.I have watched VAFA rep teams since "73 and by any measure the '82 team was the best.(there's no self interest here)Put another way two years ago the SAAFL wouldn't have got within 10 goals.I also accept your point about the greater depth now at club level but suspect our definitions of elite talent differ.Great reminiscing though!

Your point about the VFA standard having declined slightly is a valid one.I have watched VAFA rep teams since "73 and by any measure the '82 team was the best.(there's no self interest here)Put another way two years ago the SAAFL wouldn't have got within 10 goals.I also accept your point about the greater depth now at club level but suspect our definitions of elite talent differ.Great reminiscing though!

In retrospect, the 1982 win by the VAFA over the then VFA was the beginning of the end for the once great VFA. As if to show the 1982 victory wasn't a fluke, they repeated that performance with another win in 1983. According to the VAFA history book, the VFA turned the tables by winning the next 3 games in 1984, 1985 and 1986.

Two years ago the SAAFL wouldn’t have got within 20 goals of the 2017 team that flogged Vic Country. That 2016 game was bit of indictment and demonstrated the lack of commitment to rep footy that had evolved over the previous 5 years or so. It was a watershed moment and since then Stuey Powell to his absolute credit has managed to convince clubs and many (but not all) of our elite talent to support rep footy. I probably reflected many within the VAFA community. I couldn’t care less about rep footy but now that many of the best players are getting involved my interest levels are much higher.

Every era has some brilliant players (not many, if any better than Bruce Bourne) but there is way more now than ever before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SAAFL must now probably wished they hadn't beaten the VAFA at Sandringham 2 years ago, because Victoria has sent SA Amateur football back 20 years with their comprehensive win in Adelaide tonight.

The SAAFL must now probably wished they hadn't beaten the VAFA at Sandringham 2 years ago, because Victoria has sent SA Amateur football back 20 years with their comprehensive win in Adelaide tonight.

A bit like the Bulldogs regret winning the AFL premiership in 2016.

Delighted to have undersold it. Was hoping this team would do what they ended up doing...but didn’t quite dare to dream. This will help the VAFA on the ‘outside’ view. And on the inside we all know who we are and what we are doing. This league is on fire.
Beer time!

Delighted to have undersold it. Was hoping this team would do what they ended up doing...but didn’t quite dare to dream. This will help the VAFA on the ‘outside’ view. And on the inside we all know who we are and what we are doing. This league is on fire.
Beer time!

That’s an interesting spin on your inaccurate prediction !

Was watching on the live stream and did some research.. Adelaide Footy League don’t pay Deliberate Rushed Behinds and have a stance against Holding The Ball.. oh to be half an hour and 25 years behind.

Great result by the VAFA yesterday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering how good the VAFA is now in regards to representative football, it's hard to see rival competitions beat the VAFA in future representative games.

Sent from my 4055T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back