VAFA Women's 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightning Premiership results so far.

Old Geelong defeated Oakleigh in the grand final yesterday.

2nd Lightning Premiership today.

Fixtures:

Premier - St. Kevins v Ajax and Brunswick v Fitzroy.
Grading 1 - West Brunswick v UHS-VU, Brunswick v Fitzroy, Therry Penola v Melbourne University
Grading 2 - Marcellin v Carey, Bulleen-Templestowe v Ivanhoe, Melbourne University v Yarra
Grading 3 - St. Kevins v Old Brighton, Swinburne v South Melbourne, Old Xaverians v Collegians
Grading 4 - Hawthorn v Canterbury, St. Marys v Old Trinity, Old Geelong v Old Camberwell
Grading 5 - Caulfield v Old Haileybury, Oakleigh v De La, Mazenod v Monash
Grading 6 - Hampton v Ormond, Beaumaris v St. Marys, St. Bedes v Old Mentonians

Joining the founding Premier clubs, Fitzroy-ACU, SKOB Saints and Brunswick Renegades, are Caulfield Grammarians, Marcellin, Melbourne University, Old Trinity and Old Xaverians.

Development Division 1: Beaumaris, Monash Blues, Old Brighton, Old Geelong, Old Haileybury, Ormond, St Mary’s Salesian and West Brunswick.

Development Division 2: Collegians, Hampton Rovers, Oakleigh, Old Camberwell, Old Carey, St Bedes/Mentone Tigers, UHS-W and Yarra Old Grammarians.

Development Division 3: Ajax, Ivanhoe, Mazenod, Melbourne Univeristy (2), Old Mentonians and Therry Penola.

Development Division 4: Brunswick Renegades (2), Bulleen Templestowe, Canterbury, De La Salle, Fitzroy-ACU (2), Hawthorn, SKOB Saints (2), South Melbourne Districts, St Mary’s Salesian (2) and Swinburne University.

All teams carry over their match points from the first three rounds into the next phase and the Development Divisions will all reset their percentages to zero. The teams entering Premier from the Grading Groups will have their percentage reset to zero. The remaining teams in Premier will keep their percentages.

AM I beg to differ.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to have a female coach or at least assistant coach.

Max "jobs for the boys" Leader

I wonder how many Women's teams in the VAFA actually have a woman coaching them in the inaugural season?

Wouldn't be too many I'd suspect.....

AM I beg to differ.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to have a female coach or at least assistant coach.

Doubt anyone would disagree with the desirability of having a woman as head coach and I'd guess that would be even more so at VAFA HQ, Maxwell.

Problem is can you name an available woman who presently has the experience and credentials to take it on? If Peta Searle was still in an assistants role at St KAFL's she would have been a serious candidate I suspect, but she's not and now has a full-time role with the Saints and I can't think of anyone else. My understanding is there is a dearth on female coaches in the V.A.F.A women's league as it stands. I'm sure that will change.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if there are not women aplenty gaining experience and expertise in support roles. However, if winning the contest and in so doing providing the best mentoring are key considerations in the V.A.F.A's thinking then you can understand why they have opted for experienced and successful people.

A " Maxwell, as usual making a valid point" M

AM I beg to differ.

Couldn't agree more Max. They trot out this tired old dinosaur who has hardly coached in the past five years to coach the girls because he is known and in with the powerbrokers at HQ.
A woman from outside the VAFA would have been fine or a male coach who has say coached the girls for a few years ( a few of them exist).
Backward move.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree Max. They trot out this tired old dinosaur who has hardly coached in the past five years to coach the girls because he is known and in with the powerbrokers at HQ.
A woman from outside the VAFA would have been fine or a male coach who has say coached the girls for a few years ( a few of them exist).
Backward move.
An 'interesting' appointment considering Mr Kanis' lack of enthusiasm(and that's putting it nicely) for anything remotely related to women's football.

Doubt anyone would disagree with the desirability of having a woman as head coach and I'd guess that would be even more so at VAFA HQ, Maxwell.

Problem is can you name an available woman who presently has the experience and credentials to take it on? If Peta Searle was still in an assistants role at St KAFL's she would have been a serious candidate I suspect, but she's not and now has a full-time role with the Saints and I can't think of anyone else. My understanding is there is a dearth on female coaches in the V.A.F.A women's league as it stands. I'm sure that will change.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if there are not women aplenty gaining experience and expertise in support roles. However, if winning the contest and in so doing providing the best mentoring are key considerations in the V.A.F.A's thinking then you can understand why they have opted for experienced and successful people.

A " Maxwell, as usual making a valid point" M
The qualifications of Rohenna Young would be sufficient for her to be considered.

I believe that OX would completed a solid due diligence on her when appointing her to their senior coaching position for their 1st female team.

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The qualifications of Rohenna Young would be sufficient for her to be considered.

I believe that OX would completed a solid due diligence on her when appointing her to their senior coaching position for their 1st female team.

Cheers

She has a good track record in some minor developing grades, Maxwell, and 'Chopper' Handley as her go-to person at Xavs. Fair old hike to a State team as head coach I'd have thought.

Agree she would be a plus in an assistants role. Maybe she was spoken to but was unable to take it on due to other commitments.

The fact you could readily come up with only one name says something, as does the actuality that there are a dearth of female head coaches in any of the comps as I understand it.

Brian Chaos's criticism of Kanis is coloured by his disdain for the gent as remarked upon here in the past.

The take home message for me is that we all - VAFA HQ included I'd suggest - would like to see more females involved but sadly there just isn't a wide choice as we speak and the coaching group that has been put together is a very competent one.

Interesting topic. All i can add is that JK is very excited about it and very positive about woman's football in the VAFA moving forward.
An old dog can learn new tricks. Or at least have a change of heart and attitude.
Rosy times ahead...

Interesting topic. All i can add is that JK is very excited about it and very positive about woman's football in the VAFA moving forward.
An old dog can learn new tricks. Or at least have a change of heart and attitude.
Rosy times ahead...
"Rosy times ahead"! Perhaps the powers-that-be could take that on as the next VAFA catchphrase.:rolleyes:

Brian Chaos AM? That would add to Sausage Roll, Harrow, Ron Jeremy and any other troll present or past on this board, hell I may even be you? It's very possible the above are the one person, they're just not me, as old mate bedford can attest.

In regards to Kanis, we don't need someone who's not passionate about women's footy to be rep coach, in my opinion, which is my opinion only.

Have a great weekend of footy old mate!

Last edited:
Brian Chaos AM? That would add to Sausage Roll, Harrow, Ron Jeremy and any other troll present or past on this board, hell I may even be you? It's very possible the above are the one person, they're just not me, as old mate bedford can attest.

In regards to Kanis, we don't need someone who's not passionate about women's footy to be rep coach, in my opinion, which is my opinion only.

Have a great weekend of footy old mate!

Me ol' mucker, I'm as sure as I can be about anything that no one here would even remotely bob down that far.:)

While I might not entirely agree with your comment about the "Greying Mantis" in your post, it does have some merit. Just interested as to why you have such a disdain for him as shown by previous posts. He has a very good track record as a player. Some would suggest he was the one who was instrumental in turning the Blues into a seriously competitive outfit as their coach.

You and the Captain have a great weekend too.:thumbsu:

My mail is the Captain has an as yet undisclosed Premier Division Catholic association, but is not connected to SKOB .
Removing all the game playing, there is much to like about that post, Hedge. Had you finished with "now" I'd find it hard to fault.;)

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm sure all our best wishes go to the women notwithstanding our differing views on who is coaching them.

Wow! Been out for dinner and I have missed this fascinating discussion about my identity ! AM couldn't be further off the mark - I am not Brian and it can be confirmed by Ip!

Ksnnis ... I do concur with Brian's assessment and he has shown himself to be a divisive character over the journey !

Wow! Been out for dinner and I have missed this fascinating discussion about my identity ! AM couldn't be further off the mark - I am not Brian and it can be confirmed by Ip!

Ksnnis ... I do concur with Brian's assessment and he has shown himself to be a divisive character over the journey !
Get back on the OGGs Captain.

They need your staunch support in their time of need.:huh:

No idea who this Ksnnis you speak of is, but maybe you need to stop drinking on a school night?

Get back on the OGGs Captain.

They need your staunch support in their time of need.:huh:

No idea who this Ksnnis you speak of is, but maybe you need to stop drinking on a school night?

?? . I don't drink! Thr fact you don't know kannis says it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back