Vale Barry Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before my time…stories of him paint a wonderful individual and ripping player...
but these are the images that come to my mind... true giant ...rip Barry.

20240523_190225.jpg 20240523_191243.jpg

Very sad to hear of the passing our first Premiership Captain, he retired a year before I was introduced to the game, but he was always a well-liked and respected member of the club and he always spoke very well of the club and team mates on the various NMFC documentaries I've seen.

RIP Barry.

Shinboner legend. Led from the front, never took a backward step in the Blue & White and with Barassi, Aylett, Joseph, Cheatley led us to the promised land.

Thanks Barry 👍🏆♥️

Hey Hojy you would have seen him play a bit of footy at North.

For those too young to have seen him play, describe him as a player and is there a current day player that reminds you of him?

Probably like Bertie and a few others here l probably saw every game he played for us.

Barry wasn't a big accumulator but he would make every possession count. And he'd " ruck-rove " against the oppositions r.r.and every team had a first-class player in that role. He was a lovely kick and a forwards dream leading up to him. Thing that got me with Barry was he had this really upright running style, like he had a sore back. But he wasn't a young fella when he came to us and he had already played in premierships as a young fella at * in 62 & 65.
Current day ? Wahhh.....different era's, but, maybe a Mitch Duncan ?
Not too many players in two teams of the century at two clubs.

Probably like Bertie and a few others here l probably saw every game he played for us.

Barry wasn't a big accumulator but he would make every possession count. And he'd " ruck-rove " against the oppositions r.r.and every team had a first-class player in that role. He was a lovely kick and a forwards dream leading up to him. Thing that got me with Barry was he had this really upright running style, like he had a sore back. But he wasn't a young fella when he came to us and he had already played in premierships as a young fella at * in 62 & 65.

Thanks hoju….🍺

Took some balls to cross to a club that was always seen as a competition anchor. Set the standard, took the reins and became an emblem of what it takes. A legend of our club. Condolences to all the Davis family.

Really good insight Hoj. I cannot think of a modern day player to make a comparison. Suffice to say he was a very steady influence when required; knew when to play a kick behind the ball. As you say, never wasted a possession and was a sensational kick*. That is leadership and I reckon that was his greatest contribution, above all else that he brought. For those who were too young to see him play, get a copy of the 75 Grand Final and watch how he just appears in the play in key moments of that game. The most kicks for either side I recall. He knew where to be when the going got tough. Leadership!!!

Plus he twice won the Syd Barker in his 3 years at North, including the Premiership year. Nothing more to add really. Gun.

*Apparently Barassi banned the drop kick at North. With two exceptions, the two Barrys, Cable and Davis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back