Vale Barry Jarman

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Test cricketer Barry Jarman has died aged 84.

Jarman was Australian wicket keeper for 19 Tests and SA keeper from 1955 to 1968.

Fine cricketer, had a long wait to get a regular test cap as second to Wally Grout. Went on a lot of overseas tours as a result.

He made his A grade district debut when he was 14 or 15 says how good he was. Broke his leg playing footy for West Torrens underage side and gave footy away to concentrate on cricket and was a regular state player for about 16 years.

I bought stuff at his sports store before he sold it to McDermott, McGuiness and someone else who was a VP at Glenelg and I played footy with his son at uni, but name escapes me. He said hello when I was inside the store, what was I after, said footy boots, and he said so and so will look after you for them.

His lasting legacy to Aussie cricket is greater than his playing record and coaching and administration stuff. He gave Nugget Rees a job, when most people in the 1950's would have said no way, gave him his nickname and then introduced him to the state teams and then Australian teams and the rest is history.

Vale Barry Jarman.

I remember Barry Jarman joining a very young Greg Chappell at 6 for less than 150 latish on the first day of a shield match against WA at Adelaide oval in either 1966 or 67.

From memory it was the same game that SA had a left arm googly bowler named David Sincock, who could literally turn the ball sideways, but he could only land 1 or 2 in an 8 ball over on the pitch, and the loose balls the batsmen could reach were regularly smacked to, or over the boundary.

Barry was out just after lunch on the 2nd day for 196 stumped when trying to hit a 6 for his double ton, and Chappelg made about 170 as an 18 or 19 yo.

SA made well over 550 runs and won the match outright.

Vale
Barry Jarman

Nice story about Jarman on Cricinfo. Will quote this bit about his ICC test match referee stuff. Was referee at a couple of interesting tests.

In the early 1990s, the ICC's commissioning of neutral match referees to oversee player behaviour for international matches brought Jarman to prominence once again, as he presided over 25 Tests and 28 ODIs between 1995 and 2001. Perhaps the most notable of these was the abandoned Test match between West Indies and England at Jamaica in 1998, called off within an hour due to the dangerous nature of the pitch.

"[The umpire] Venkat got in touch with me and said, 'What do you think?' I said, 'I think it's horrific'," Jarman said at the time. "I told him, 'You do what you want to do and you'll get support from me.' I spoke to Mike and Brian and they said, 'We both agree it's too dangerous and someone's going to get seriously hurt'. The pitch is just nowhere near up to standard."

Jarman was also the match referee for the infamous Centurion Test between South Africa and England in 2000, where after several days of rain, the Proteas captain Hansie Cronje engineered a fourth innings chase for the visitors after two innings were declared closed at 0 for 0 with Jarman's blessing. England won late on the final day, and Cronje was to confirm that he had been influenced to open the match up by illegal bookmakers as part of what was later revealed to be a long and sordid history of match-fixing. Jarman, though, had not seen anything untoward.

"I cannot remember anything that really made me think that way," he had said in April 2000. "I have been a betting man all my life and I know what has been going on, but there was nothing there to suggest that anything was being manufactured."

I remember Barry Jarman joining a very young Greg Chappell at 6 for less than 150 latish on the first day of a shield match against WA at Adelaide oval in either 1966 or 67.

From memory it was the same game that SA had a left arm googly bowler named David Sincock, who could literally turn the ball sideways, but he could only land 1 or 2 in an 8 ball over on the pitch, and the loose balls the batsmen could reach were regularly smacked to, or over the boundary.

Barry was out just after lunch on the 2nd day for 196 stumped when trying to hit a 6 for his double ton, and Chappelg made about 170 as an 18 or 19 yo.

SA made well over 550 runs and won the match outright.

Vale
Barry Jarman

Yes, I was at that game and watched Barry Jarman bat for most of a day.

When I as an apprentice Barry Jarman was guest speaker at the firm's end of year function. He spoke of his early working life and told how he started work as an apprentice at a carvan builder on the Port Road. Not sure if that was fact or just a story he told as we were all employed as apprentices in the motor trade.

Another piece of SA sporting history passes.

On the 1968 Ashes tour, Jarman captained Australia in place of the injured Bill Lawry during the Headingley Test.

Coincidentally, Tom Graveney was also filling in as England captain.

"We got halfway out to the middle and Tom Graveney said, 'hey hang on, there is something wrong here, usually someone takes a photo when we toss the coin, we don't want to miss that do we?' and so he went back and got a photographer," he recalled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back