Mod. Notice Vale Barry Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Just one more tribute listening to SEN on Off The Bench.
The Boys said it was a sad passing of a great man. Barry coached at Geelong where Pickering played.
At Pickering's 30th they ran out of money at the bar despite Pickering putting $5000 on the bar. Apparently Barry gave it a nudge.
No better person to meet and in the top 5 people you wanted to have a beer with.
A very sad day but happy memories from those that met and knew him.

Last edited:

Barry was on the front bar last year. Starts 24.25. Had some great stories.

Posted up on the Bulldogs board. When you have half an hour, have a watch. The big fella could tell ripping yarns.

Only if Barry’s family agreed I reckon the Bloods and Bullies could play a bi-annual practice match in Warragul in his memory. Half the proceeds could go to community footy and half to a charity of the Round family’s choice. Every second year could be a similar practice match between Williamstown and Port Melbourne.

Only if Barry’s family agreed I reckon the Bloods and Bullies could play a bi-annual practice match in Warragul in his memory. Half the proceeds could go to community footy and half to a charity of the Round family’s choice. Every second year could be a similar practice match between Williamstown and Port Melbourne.
It doesn't have to be a praccy

Growing up in Victoria in the 80s the swans were on the tv every SCG game so you really got to know and like players like Barry, Browning, Stevie Wright, tilt Carter and Dennis Carrol.

About that time I bumped into Barry on the Ocean Grove tip/golf course and he let me join him for the last few holes…pretty exciting for a 12yo footy fan.

Have a mate who would occasionally stay at an apartment next to his house on the Gold Coast and he would talk about how friendly Barry was and how he let my mates grandkids try on his Brownlow, & invited him to Aussie Rules Club Lunches mentioned in the Neil Corday article.

Condolences to his family and swannies supporters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a fantastic tribute today for the great man at Carlton Brewhouse , but on by the AFL , Swans and Willy footy club and still going .
Will post some stuff later on.
Also the great local scribe Paul Amy will be tweeting some stories and pictures later on.
A who's who of the Swans and the VFL/AFL .

What a fantastic tribute today for the great man at Carlton Brewhouse , but on by the AFL , Swans and Willy footy club and still going .
Will post some stuff later on.
Also the great local scribe Paul Amy will be tweeting some stories and pictures later on.
A who's who of the Swans and the VFL/AFL .
I was wondering if you went when I saw the tweet.

Great celebration of a great person.
Mark Browning was the speaker for the club and spoke for 30 minutes . His theme was the club song and broke it down into segments with most including this from Baz , it made you so proud to be a Swan no matter whether you came from.
To those that thought the club might change to 2 blues or something like that , it was never going to happen , as they would have all gone , but Baz mended everything and as said , he is the greatest clubman ever for the club.
Great representation of the past and present , with Colless , Horse , Carroll , Bedford , Wright , Hoffman , Hounsell , Scott , Evans and then there were Shimma , Perovic , Daniher , Madden etc and so many more . What a legend and what a club.

Bazza's great mate and fellow Brownlow winner Bernie Quinlan was supposed to be MC , but sadly got Covid.
Former coach when Baz first come to SOUTH Ian Stewart also spoke well . He spoke about the time Baz said we want to back ourselves this week at 7/2 against a well known and very rich club , Stewie said no , but Baz said no one will know . Anyhow there was no rain that week but the Lake oval was a quagmire from CHF to CHB and Ressies before made sure it was worse , guess what we won !

Some snippets from a lengthy Paul Amy article talking about the wake;
(I focussed the extracts on Barry the person, rather than Round the footballer).

Barry Round once joked that he chose to play at Williamstown because he counted more pubs in Willy than the other VFA club chasing him, Port Melbourne.
Many former teammates and opponents of the champion ruckman and Brownlow Medallist lifted a glass in his memory on Friday at the Carlton Brewhouse in Abbotsford.

Ian Stewart;
Stewart told how he received a call saying Round was gravely ill and, having not spoken to him for a long time, decided to make contact.

Round was in care, but a nurse accepted the call and held the phone to his ear as Stewart spoke.

“I said, ‘Roundy’, you’re the best player I ever coached’. I said, ‘You’re one of the best team men I’ve ever seen’. I said, ‘The whole football community loves you’,’’ an emotional Stewart said.
“And in a voice just louder than a whisper, ‘Roundy’ said, ‘I appreciate that, Stewy’, and they took the phone away.
“That was 48 hours before he passed away.
“A beautiful, beautiful human being was ‘Roundy’. I sat down and put the phone away and all the memories started flooding back …

Mark Browning;
Round was a “glue’’ for the club when it was experiencing tough times in the South Melbourne-to-Sydney era.
The Swans name their best clubman award after Round. Browning said it was appropriate, because “he was the best clubman in the history of the club’’.
Browning highlighted that Round played in an era of brilliant ruckmen, including fellow Brownlow winners Len Thompson, Gary Dempsey, Graham Moss, Graham Teasdale and Peter Moore.

Pridham tribute (read by Browning);
Round was a “true Bloods champion and will always hold a special place in the history of the Swans’’.
“Barry was a unifying figure who always identified the positive in everything and everyone,’’ Pridham said.

Garry Baker (teammate of Round's at Footscray & Sydney, although best known from his Melb stint);
....recalled a training camp in Thailand in which Round had a long session on the drink at a beach bar, but still found the stamina to finish third in a 6am running session.
“Then he sat back down on the same table and had another good old crack,’’ Baker said.

“Rest in peace, Bazza!’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back