MRP / Trib. Vale Barry Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Many Port supporters will not know who Barry Wilson was, indeed many will not have heard of him. Barry was a Port Adelaide Past Player having played mainly Reserves football and a long standing Member of the Port Adelaide Football Club Management Committee and he was a Director when Port made it into the AFL. I looked up the 1997 Annual Report and found that Barry had attended 15 out of 15 Management Committee meetings in 1997. A perfect attendance record in an age when we elected Director's to our Board. Barry was also one of those Board Members who attended every game and was always accessible in the Clubrooms after each game.

One of Barry's most notable achievements was the introduction of Dad's Army at Alberton and through this initiative the Club saved many dollars. Known to those in Dad's Army as 'The Colonel' Barry was the chief organiser of this band of volunteers who met at Alberton every Monday to clean the Oval, collect cans and perform a multitude of maintenance tasks.

Barry was also a keen bowler and Member of the Port Adelaide Bowling Club.

With the passing of Barry Wilson another part of the old PAFC as we knew it has also passed.

Barry Ernest Wilson R.I.P.

Many Port supporters will not know who Barry Wilson was, indeed many will not have heard of him. Barry was a Port Adelaide Past Player having played mainly Reserves football and a long standing Member of the Port Adelaide Football Club Management Committee and he was a Director when Port made it into the AFL. I looked up the 1997 Annual Report and found that Barry had attended 15 out of 15 Management Committee meetings in 1997. A perfect attendance record in an age when we elected Director's to our Board. Barry was also one of those Board Members who attended every game and was always accessible in the Clubrooms after each game.

One of Barry's most notable achievements was the introduction of Dad's Army at Alberton and through this initiative the Club saved many dollars. Known to those in Dad's Army as 'The Colonel' Barry was the chief organiser of this band of volunteers who met at Alberton every Monday to clean the Oval, collect cans and perform a multitude of maintenance tasks.

Barry was also a keen bowler and Member of the Port Adelaide Bowling Club.

With the passing of Barry Wilson another part of the old PAFC as we knew it has also passed.

Barry Ernest Wilson R.I.P.
Great post. I remember him well. As you said always happy for a chat and regularly around the club.

RIP Barry.

Sad news and even sadder to see that there's not one mention of this by the club.

RIP Barry.
A mate of mine who is also a Port supporter told me there was an acknowledgement by the club of Barry's passing, including condolences to his family in yesterday's obituaries, even so you would have thought they could have put something on the website.

A mate of mine who is also a Port supporter told me there was an acknowledgement by the club of Barry's passing, including condolences to his family in yesterday's obituaries.

Doesn't rate a mention on our socials or website though.

I'm sure they'll do something at some point... won't they?

Via Matthew Richardson's letter.
1698999441921.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back