Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Probably best known to people of my vintage (43 y/o) as a commentator with 3AW in the 70's and early 80's with Harry Beitzel, Bill jacobs died yesterday aged 91.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/vale-bill-jacobs-91-20110729-1i4du.html

Was a major player in cricket administration also with Victoria and even the early 70's with the Australian summer of 1971-72 (the last summer devoid of a test-playing nation touring). Quite an enduring legacy he leaves, he famously wasn't a huge rap for Rex Hunt and ceased commentating with 3AW after the Big H left.

It also puts into context just how long ago the late 70's and early 80's are now from a bloke who really got into footy at that time!

Wonder how many others on this forum recall Bill Jacobs in his role with Harry Beitzel and the famous crosses to 'Are you there Tommy' Lahiff? A time when footy was played on Saturday afternoons and games were played at all the suburban grounds, hence all the crosses to the 'around the grounds' scribes who would hurriedly call out the scores in between play.

I am the same vintage as you Catsace. I used to love listening to footy on the radio when I was a young fella. They used to paint such a wonderful picture of the game in your mind's eye, and then you could look forward to watching the replay on 7 that evening (especially when your team won!)

Bill and Harry and Tommy Lahiff on 3AW, and the Captain and the Major on 3KZ were an integral part of my childhood/early adolescence.

I'm 43 as well and very much remember listening to Bill on 3AW. He was a pretty no nonsense guy and not into the showbiz. A good special comments man who contributed to the game and many people's love of it.

R.I.P.

Probably best known to people of my vintage (43 y/o) as a commentator with 3AW in the 70's and early 80's with Harry Beitzel, Bill jacobs died yesterday aged 91.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/vale-bill-jacobs-91-20110729-1i4du.html

Was a major player in cricket administration also with Victoria and even the early 70's with the Australian summer of 1971-72 (the last summer devoid of a test-playing nation touring). Quite an enduring legacy he leaves, he famously wasn't a huge rap for Rex Hunt and ceased commentating with 3AW after the Big H left.

It also puts into context just how long ago the late 70's and early 80's are now from a bloke who really got into footy at that time!

Wonder how many others on this forum recall Bill Jacobs in his role with Harry Beitzel and the famous crosses to 'Are you there Tommy' Lahiff? A time when footy was played on Saturday afternoons and games were played at all the suburban grounds, hence all the crosses to the 'around the grounds' scribes who would hurriedly call out the scores in between play.

I'm even older than you :eek: and have vivid memories of Bill on the radio back when all games were played on Saturday arvos. R.I.P. Bill. Loved those "are you there Tommy". Those guys called the footy without frills yet made you feel you were at the game. Some people, and they know who they are, could take a lesson in sports calling from these guys.

On a side note I hated listening to North games on 3DB (?) if I couldn't make the game as they also did the racing and right at a crucial moment you would hear "and now the weights from Morphetville" Who gave a toss about that!!! grrrrr.

He also called the VFA sunday matches on CH0/10 with Phil Gibbs in the 1970-80s

I'm even older than you :eek: and have vivid memories of Bill on the radio back when all games were played on Saturday arvos. R.I.P. Bill. Loved those "are you there Tommy". Those guys called the footy without frills yet made you feel you were at the game. Some people, and they know who they are, could take a lesson in sports calling from these guys.

Tommy Lahiff was a scream, he was never there for the cross when they wanted it and then put on a bodgy interview with his squeaky voice.

And what I really want to know, when they went around the grounds for the scores, why was it always "Polly Perkins at Geelong". What did Polly do that was so bad that he got banished to Kardinia Park for eternity ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back