News Vale Bill Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

A Bill Stephens moment - going home on the Hurstbridge train after a Lions win ( 2003 /2004 ) at the Dome. Parents and kids in tow. Happy faces. Who should be sitting in the carriage but Bill - on his own. Took awhile to take it in, wrangle the kids , point out Bill and tell them that basically Bill wrote the Lions club song. Some of the kids played with FJFC so .. wow ! They were a little non plussed but approached Bill and chatted about the game. Adults stood back. Got off at Clifton Hll - magic moment.

I hope the Club does something more than simply donning black arm bands as a mark of respect for Bill Stephen.
Bill is in contention as the greatest figure ever for the Club so I just hope whoever's running the show now acknowledges this and let's a little bit of his spirit live on.

Mind you he'd be embarrassed if he read what I just said.

Bill is in contention as the greatest figure ever for the Club so I just hope whoever's running the show now acknowledges this and let's a little bit of his spirit live on.

Mind you he'd be embarrassed if he read what I just said.
This is one of those moments when the Lions could make a great gesture and lock in countless extra Lions members in Victoria for 2021 and beyond. In a year when Victorian fans will not see a live game, playing in the Fitzroy jumper next round, especially because we are playing Collingwood, would be a wonderful tribute to Bill Stephen. Because of COVID 19 the hundreds of people who would have attended his funeral will be unable to and in these circumstances the Lions need to fill the void and provide a focus the celebration of the life of an extraordinary figure at our club. Sometimes organisations and decision makers have a moment when they can do something truly great and they should seize the opportunity to do something great for Bill Stephen. He deserves more than a black armband, some vision on the scoreboard and a few comments from a ground announcer. I hope the Lions don’t miss their chance.

This is one of those moments when the Lions could make a great gesture and lock in countless extra Lions members in Victoria for 2021 and beyond. In a year when Victorian fans will not see a live game, playing in the Fitzroy jumper next round, especially because we are playing Collingwood, would be a wonderful tribute to Bill Stephen. Because of COVID 19 the hundreds of people who would have attended his funeral will be unable to and in these circumstances the Lions need to fill the void and provide a focus the celebration of the life of an extraordinary figure at our club. Sometimes organisations and decision makers have a moment when they can do something truly great and they should seize the opportunity to do something great for Bill Stephen. He deserves more than a black armband, some vision on the scoreboard and a few comments from a ground announcer. I hope the Lions don’t miss their chance.
Absolutely.

Had the Lions survived they'd be a niche club in Victoria now . There is still a vast underbelly of support especially in Melbourne. I think we had the highest H/A attendance for the year in the Richmond game last year.

The club needs to not miss this opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back