Vale Bob Willis

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The pace bowler made 90 Test match appearances for his country and took 325 wickets, placing him fourth in the all-time list of England bowlers. He famously played a key part in the memorable 1981 third Test defeat of Australia at Headingley that was won from a seemingly impossible position, taking a career-best 8-43 before enjoying a long career in broadcasting, first for the BBC and latterly on Sky, after his retirement in 1984.

Willis’ family, who revealed he had died “after a long illness”, said in a statement: “We are heartbroken to lose our beloved Bob, who was an incredible husband, father, brother and grandfather. He made a huge impact on everybody he knew and we will miss him terribly.

Had no idea he was ill.

Great fast bowler, I used to mimick his action sometimes in the backyard. Remember him ripping through the Aussies in England, bowling like a man possessed. Enjoyed his commentary, he called it the way he saw it. RIP.

Too young to have seen him bowl but loved his work on the long run on the verdict. Some absolute gold.

Vic Marks always does a good job with these:

And did like this part:

When Willis was assistant manager to the England team in West Indies on the 1985-86 tour he was once asked by a BA steward if there was anything he wanted to be taken back to England. “Thirty-four journalists and two camera crews” was his response. While still captain he declared: “I don’t know what I’m going to do when I give up but I can tell you this: I’m not going to go on TV slagging off the players.” Which is what he did rather brilliantly on Sky TV’s The Verdict towards the end of a long broadcasting career.

The first Ashes series I can remember is the 1978-79 series when we were thrashed 5-1. It was easy to dislike the Poms for dominating us, but I didn't mind Bob Willis too much after I heard Keith Miller allude to his resemblance to "that guy who plays Doctor Who" (Tom Baker). Doctor Who was one of my favourite shows during my childhood. I suppose the two of them did have a thing going on with their flamboyant 70s hair.

Willis.jpg

Baker2.jpg

Attachments

• Baker.jpg
    Baker.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 146

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sky Sports in England suddenly has a total new look.

For twenty years David Gower, Ian Botham and Bob Willis were a part of the furniture but the first two were retired after the Ashes and sadly Willis has passed away. It's a sad end to an era.
Yeah very sad. I only really know him as a commentator and pundit and not as a bowler. When I first really started following cricket religiously as a kid in the early 2000s I remember counting down the days until an England series started just because I’d get to hear the Sky commentators on Fox Sports. Willis, Bumble and Gower were always my favourites for different reasons.

Around 2006/2007 I think Willis stopped the ball by ball commentary and moved in to a studio role, which disappointed me as I wouldn’t get to hear him anymore.

RIP.

At the beginning of the innings where Willis took his 8-43 in 1981, he began by bowling uphill and into the wind while Botham was given the easier task of bowling downhill with the wind. Willis was later switched to the downhill and with the wind end to take those 8 wickets. After the natch Willis asked Mike Brearley why he had been asked to bowl uphill and against the wind at the start of the innings. Brearley replied, "To make you angry."

I remember his working out Kep Wessels when he first debuted. Wessels got 162 (?) in his debut but Willis worked out that he was weak outside off stump with that odd stance of his and very much limited his effectiveness in the rest of the series. Good bloke too it's said.
Yep, 162 it was. I think Joel Garner even worked out Wessels, more.

Bob Willis used to run in like a chook. He was fun to impersonate his action as a little kid, bowling in back yard off a long run up.
Good honest bowler for England.

Was too young to remember most of Bob's playing career but from what I saw he was a very good fast bowler and at Headingley in 81 he became a legend along with Botham with one of the best fast bowling displays of all time.

I knew Bob more as a commentator and loved the way he would rip into the English players in his no nonsense style after one of their many dire performances. Ironically he hated the English press as a player and vowed to never criticise English players the way they did when he retired but then he went on to make a name for himself doing just that, he had the runs on the board though as an ex-player and captain to do it and he did it in style.

Before my time, but pretty sure some last ball of the day where Doug Walters hits a six in Perth to get his hundred in last session of a Test was against the chook bowler.

I only really remember him for Headingly Test and his funny bowling action and not a lot more. Did not hear him much as a commentator. In an era of super fast bowlers he did not stand out but certainly was a good bowler all the same.