News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember him coaching Richmond. Bit young to remember him as a player.

Frawley was old school. Determined and reliable, like Mick Martyn. Went to Moorabbin with a St.Kilda supporter for the first game in 1987, but actually just wanted to watch Ablett. Frawley was in his first game as captain and played up the ground and leaned on Ablett's shoulder all day, preventing him from jumping at the ball. The Saints went down by a point but not through any fault of Frawley's.

St.Kilda supporters loved him. When he was announced as Richmond coach, one of them only half-jokingly waved his finger in my face and said "Richmond better not drag Spud's name through the mud!". I'm not sure we quite managed to comply.

R.I.P.

It's a heavily flawed, outdated old saying that gets unnecessarily trotted out far too often. Like of course when a problem arises, big or small, you look for a solution that's permanent.

Not sure there's a whole lot of logic in this statement either. For the love of God, can people just stop grandstanding and just reflect on the life and times of Spud Frawley and his tragic demise. You don't have to get up and show off your 'superior understanding'. Just leave the attention where it belongs.

Golden fist award if it goes ahead -

Should it be based on the best defnder adjudged by a panel or should it go to the most spoils/fists in the year?
I loved Danny Frawley, and hope / know that there will be a fitting tribute, but a golden fist sounds the tackiest award they could possibly have in his honour. There's a million stats in footy, we don't need awards for each one. At most a "best defender award" I would have thought.

Should it be based on the best defnder adjudged by a panel or should it go to the most spoils/fists in the year?
If they made it best defender in general, they'd wind up just giving it to a bunch of high-possession half-bank flankers.

I loved Danny Frawley, and hope / know that there will be a fitting tribute, but a golden fist sounds the tackiest award they could possibly have in his honour. There's a million stats in footy, we don't need awards for each one. At most a "best defender award" I would have thought.
Would be more about best defensive player in terms of their capacity to shut a forward down, I would have though, not necessarily just based on spoils. We have an award for the mids (Brownlow) and one for the forwards (Coleman). Would be appropriate to have one for defenders who serve an effective defensive function.

Jason Akermanis made a pointed remark on Jim Stynes' passing. No doubt it was his honest opinion but the comment deeply offended Stynes' family and the timing of it cost Akermanis his media career.

I think Akers media career was already hanging by a thread at that stage

I'd suggest a panel of ex defenders.
Trophy should be less comical. Perhaps a pack with Spud's image punching the ball away.
Anyway, my say has no weight but am sure those in charge will honour Spud accordingly.

I'm guessing The Bounce won't air till next season.

I personally watched that show for spud. Such a great character and family man saddened by his late personal circumstances

Just a gem of a bloke from all reports gave plenty back to the game and anyone associated with it.

He almost feels like a friend I have probably listened to him several times a week previously on Triple M. Or on fox for feels like the last decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it's the opposite, if it's an accident. If it's an accident the pain would be shortlived (well hopefully). This way he has clearly suffered and has done so for quite a long time.

Sounded like all the big issues obviously long struggle with mental demons. Marriage break down & financial.

It's just so sad what ever the circumstances I personally don't want to know.

To see the majority of the football community absolutely heartbroken just shows what a true great character he was and that he will be missed by all.

That is the measure of a man after he leaves this place he was loved by his friends, family & community.

Completely irrelevant but eerily 4 years to the day an aircraft (VH-ZEW) crashed into the hill on the same property frontage where Frawley’s accident occurred.

RIP mate

I'd suggest a panel of ex defenders.
Trophy should be less comical. Perhaps a pack with Spud's image punching the ball away.
Anyway, my say has no weight but am sure those in charge will honour Spud accordingly.
A real defender, lock down defender award. Doesn’t get the stats but spoils, marks. Does the true defender’s role
I’d model it in the Rising star award. But a defender coming in to spoil coated in gold.

Grimes would be my guess for the award this year or Harris Andrews. Real courageous lock down defenders

So upset with this news, more than usual when someone like this passes.
Fair enough I was lucky to meet him once and spend an evening with him a few years ago so I guess when watching Bounce it was always a fun watch, "That's my mate Frawls I met him" I could say.

Genuine bloke and as you see him on TV is pretty much how he was. Good natured and sense of humour.

Man he is going to be missed big time by everyone.

RIP Spud me mate Frawls.

Best and kindest wishes and condolences to his Family.

I used to rip into On the Couch as it was trash but to be honest I always had a laugh when it was on and it kept me coming back every week. Dunstall and Spud's chemistry made the show.

Seemed like an emotional bloke who wore his heart on his sleeve and gave 100% to everything - that's my kind of bloke. Sounds like the work he did in the community was amazing and he did it all from a footy perspective.

He played a huge part in my first really happy footy memory of beating the Blues in the '01 semi final which I won't ever forget.

RIP Spud.

I am sure Bounce will go on as well.
Would be one of those "Spud wouldn't want the show to stop so the show must go on" things.

At least he will finally get the show to be all about him for once (said in the best possible taste just how Spud would have)

I hope it is not true that he did it to himself.
Well the thing is, they are investigating. It may be weeks or months before we know the reason, if we do at all.

What does the media do? Runs multi page articles about depression and leaves the old "if you have problems call lifeline" that they only ever put on articles about suicides because they're not allowed to report on suicides but want you to know it's suicide. It's atrocious behavior from every journalist that has covered this.

As much as people knocked Bounce I guess we never realised how much the kids loved it and it’s humour, hopefully we tend to be more forgiving of AFL programming in future
I believe it is one of Fox Footy's highest rating shows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back