News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't want to achieve anything, I'm just being honest, more people should try it...

For what benefit though? You knew full well that people would react the way they have. It's really just an embarrassing display of a lack of emotional intelligence from you. You should take some time to reflect on why an adult might not have made the same decision that you have.

I'll remember Spud as the media performer and advocate for mental health personally.

Like Danny I've been through my own demons and people in the media like Spud, Schwass and Glenn Mitchell to name a few, have been a positive influence for me in seeking professional help.

They've been the human face to mental health, anxiety and depression in men and I'll be forever grateful for there openness about it and humanizing positive mental health .

Loved him on The Bounce and MMM in particular, didn't hear him as much on SEN and seemed like a person you could have a good chat with over a few beers, could take the piss out of others in a fun way while taking the piss out of himself just as much and even though I'm sure spent a lot of time in the metro area of Victoria, he never lost that Victorian country, Bungaree boy at heart attitude.

Rest in peace Spud, you'll be missed more than you might've recognized.

It's a heavily flawed, outdated old saying that gets unnecessarily trotted out far too often. Like of course when a problem arises, big or small, you look for a solution that's permanent.
The thing a lot of people don’t understand too, is that depression is not merely a “temporary problem”. It plagues people for decades, it really can’t be cured as such, only managed - and even then, things that may have worked to keep depression under control in the past suddenly no longer work. To a person who has been on the roller coaster for 15-20 years, the idea of suicide often seems like mercy to them. And when faced with the alternative - medication after medication that may make things a little less terrible (but not necessarily better), frequent admissions to both public and private mental health wards where someone with depression is expected to cohabitate with hardened ice using criminals who are faking illness to avoid prison, or floridly psychotic people who are unwell in their own way that is often intrusive and frightening to others, the idea of silence and nothing -permanently- can seem inviting to them.

Like a lot of people out there I only 'know' Spud as a class clown from Fox Footy. I remember the end of his career with the Saints and his coaching tenure with Richmond but my enduring memory is his time on TV as a non serious footy personality. He played up to the lovable simpleton typecasting beautifully. Great full back, average coach, pretty ordinary commentator and likeable media figure.

Last night's regular Monday programming was sombre. Gerard and Robbo spoke for a while and then Jonathan Brown choked up talking about going to country footy clinics with Spud as a kid and then joining him as an ex player 20 years later. They are professionals and the show must go on, but it would not have been easy losing one of their own suddenly. Understandable that Dunstall and Lyon couldn't go on.

The next time Bounce airs (assuming it does) will be tough to watch. How do spend 10 years taking the piss out of the bloke next to you and then go to air with an empty seat? Professionalism is one thing, maintaining a lighthearted take on the week's footy is another. I hope they just say a few words at the start and do a highlights package of all the silly Spud moments from past challenges etc.

RIP Spud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?
You scream Essendon......
Being promised for 17 years by your mum that you can win finals.....
Imagine hijacking a tribute thread for a bloke who died 24 hours ago and turning it into this sh*t. There's no possible way on Earth that you're 34 years old either. Please don't breed after you hit puberty in another five years.

You scream Essendon......
Being promised for 17 years by your mum that you can win finals.....
Gee, it says in your profile you're 34. Could of fooled me. I would of gone with 12 max and thats being harsh on 12 year olds who probably wouldn't post the following trash

Why because he necked himself we should all be on tippy toes?
GTFO you vermon

One of my friends was a first responder to the scene.
She has seen it all and even she said she was shaken by it.
My heart goes out to the Frawleys, Danny's friends and particularly his daughters.
Also to the first responders who do an amazing job.

I was just watching Spud’s final episode of Bounce from Saturday night. In the first 2 mins they give him a birthday cake and after he blows out the candle Dunstall asks him “what did you wish for Spud” and he replies “fair to say, you wouldn’t want to know” and then trails off...
Also in the last minute you can see him waving to the camera is that sign of him waving goodbye RIP Spud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back