News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I read something yesterday where Michael Roberts said the beginning of his downfall was his departure from MMM. Not sure what happened there, but I believe it all began with the Barry Hall comments on Leigh Montagna's wife. Now I'm not going to start blaming people, but this is where theses attacks on people by the media and do-gooders lynch mob types can destroy a person. A simple apology should suffice, but I remember that rubbish being in the news for months, calling for the sacking of everyone in the conversation and an absolute berating of them.

Again, not blaming this incident in it's entirety on what happened to Danny, but this is where people need to be careful on how hard they demonize someone after they do make a silly comment or do something that may offend.
Frawley was already gone from MMM by the time those comments were made. There were 2 things that happened. First Gaz and Bills falling out which pushed out the wolf and then the Caroline Wilson drowning joke.

Frawley was already gone from MMM by the time those comments were made. There were 2 things that happened. First Gaz and Bills falling out which pushed out the wolf and then the Caroline Wilson drowning joke.

Maybe it was those other incidents. I can't find the article now, but Roberts does think that this current breakdown began with the MMM departure. Danny also had 2 other incidents effect him greatly - The Richmond coach sacking, and the Essendon saga when he was boss of the AFLCA. So I suppose these 3 events were just too much, he spiralled out of control and apparently he told some close friend recently his marriage was over and he had some bad investment. Poor guy... he must have really felt his life had failed, but all of us could see he was a great and successful man. There is always a way through, I've learnt that crap just happens in life.. but we find a way to deal with it. I wish he could have seen it like that too.

Maybe it was those other incidents. I can't find the article now, but Roberts does think that this current breakdown began with the MMM departure. Danny also had 2 other incidents effect him greatly - The Richmond coach sacking, and the Essendon saga when he was boss of the AFLCA. So I suppose these 3 events were just too much, he spiralled out of control and apparently he told some close friend recently his marriage was over and he had some bad investment. Poor guy... he must have really felt his life had failed, but all of us could see he was a great and successful man. There is always a way through, I've learnt that crap just happens in life.. but we find a way to deal with it. I wish he could have seen it like that too.

In that Sacked Podcast he spoke about his depression and included his lack of success at St. Kilda as a factor. "The Richmond days, not playing a flag, all those things built up..." I can understand the Richmond horrorshow - that would take its toll on anybody - but he was a St. Kilda legend and loved by all associated with the club, one where very few players have enjoyed premiership success.

It is something I have trouble with too. Things I accomplish that others would deem a success I too often find the negative in the process and let that darken the entire deed. I get the impression that had Danny won a flag with the Saints he would then have focused on what went wrong in other years as a player. It can be a dreadful mindset...

In that Sacked Podcast he spoke about his depression and included his lack of success at St. Kilda as a factor. "The Richmond days, not playing a flag, all those things built up..." I can understand the Richmond horrorshow - that would take its toll on anybody - but he was a St. Kilda legend and loved by all associated with the club, one where very few players have enjoyed premiership success.

It is something I have trouble with too. Things I accomplish that others would deem a success I too often find the negative in the process and let that darken the entire deed. I get the impression that had Danny won a flag with the Saints he would then have focused on what went wrong in other years as a player. It can be a dreadful mindset...

Yes you have to stop focusing on negatives as a result but rather as a learning experience (accept that negatives/failures are a normal part of life). That is what I have done. And don't associate with people who promote negative thoughts or who try and inject them into your head another thing I do now.

I think we are getting confused between Michael Roberts and Mark robinson.

Robinson is a MMM hater. Spud did not get fired or let go from MMM. I know for a fact through Michael Fitzpatrick that they were trying to work through how Spud can be more involved outside of just football and couldn’t find a spot whereas SEN offered him a wider role. I’m sure he felt upset with the move as a Triple M gig with JB, BT etc rates double digits and SEN rated only 3-4. But there was nothing more sinister around that.

Secondly the Barry Hall incident happened a good year after he had already left.

Spud was a champion, he was a great broadcaster. Together JB, Garry, Bt, purple and himself put together one of the greatest ever radio shows and easily the best football radio show. It was all about mateship and taking the piss. I loved it - it was m favourite six hours of my week.

I did not know Spud but I have never been more affected by a “celebrity” death in my life.

The age seems to have memory holed its stories about his marriage being over. Links no longer work

Footy legend Danny Frawley’s heartbreaking final days have revealed a brave fighter that was overcome and distant. In the final days before his tragic death in a single-vehicle car crash near Ballarat in Victoria on Monday, the 56-year-old reportedly never showed up for a family birthday celebration and never made it to a psychiatrist appointment scheduled for the day he died.

Fellow Fox Footy On The Couch panellist Garry Lyon was too upset to appear on the show and Frawley’s close friend Jason Dunstall also grieved in private. Fox Footy announced the show would not be filmed this weekend during the second week of the AFL finals series as a mark of respect to the popular footy larrikin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The constant anguish experienced by family members living with the never ending cycle of chronic depression can be debilitating. What stood out in Danny Frawley's interview with Hamish McLaughlin was his devotion to his wife and children. Despite failures (in his own mind) his marriage was his ultimate mark of success. His wife was his rock and when that was withdrawn, his life unravelled. There is no cure and, despite everyone's best efforts, the cycles of depression can gradually wear a spouse down to the point where they may have to choose themselves whether to sink or swim and she chose to swim, which left him adrift. RIP

I am getting really really p*ssed off with the amount of people who are "guessing" as to what the cause was.
How about we let the police and coroner do their job first before jumping to any conclusions.

R.I.P. Danny Frawley.

I think it's likely suicide given the circumstances.

Some people have assumed suicide in comments about their personal struggle. I think it is appropriate to post positive comments that may help people who face similar circumstances.

The constant anguish experienced by family members living with the never ending cycle of chronic depression can be debilitating. What stood out in Danny Frawley's interview with Hamish McLaughlin was his devotion to his wife and children. Despite failures (in his own mind) his marriage was his ultimate mark of success. His wife was his rock and when that was withdrawn, his life unravelled. There is no cure and, despite everyone's best efforts, the cycles of depression can gradually wear a spouse down to the point where they may have to choose themselves whether to sink or swim and she chose to swim, which left him adrift. RIP
Regardless of whether this is a genuine attempt at shedding some light on to the circumstances surrounding Spud’s demise or it’s just an exercise in seeking closure about it for yourself, it raises some questions about how we evaluate success in life. Everyone obviously has their own view but sometimes from the outside I see too many people set themselves up for failure and by their own hand make the consequences of that failure incredibly dire. I don’t know what really happened with Spud but I’ve only gotten sadder about it in the time since I first heard.

My understanding is he didnt have a nervous break down, nor did the shrink diagnose Spud with inform him he had clinical depression until the
Essendon supplements saga.

Due to the stress he has a coaches association head

Not specific to Frawley but if you haven't then research Imposter Syndrome. It's a real thing and can be very debilitating to all aspects of life.

Such a shame it had to happen under these circumstances but it will be good to get Garry, BT, JB and purple back together again.
And I can’t see it being a very jovial listen. I reckon there’ll be a plethora of “best bits” done private stories we haven’t heard before and I reckon a telethon kind of set up for donations to Beyond Blue / Lifeline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back