News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

On Monday, a day after his 56th birthday, Danny Frawley drove his Toyota HiLux into a tree. He died just a few kilometres from his home town. It is a sad and confronting fact, and publicly there is a confused coyness about it.

There shouldn’t be. Frawley made the decision to speak publicly about his mental health. About his anxiety, depression, the weeks of sleepless despair. In life, he was praised for it. It is strange that we might undermine that legacy by speaking so indirectly about his death. There are professional apprehensions about reporting details of a celebrity’s suicide, but here we have the bizarre dislocation of three already public facts: that Frawley died in a car crash, that police aren’t considering it an accident, and that he suffered mental anguish. The failure to join them only thickens the fog that obscures the issue of suicide.

In his final years, Frawley began rethinking some things. “Back in the day, I was a stoic farm boy, seven generations from Ireland, potato farmers,” he told the Herald Sun’s podcast Sacked, just a few months ago. “Manning up in the past was suffering in silence. Manning up now is to put your hand up.”

And he did, but tragically it wasn’t enough. Frawley would come to realise that his most serious injuries were no mere flesh wounds. “I just thought [depression] was like a broken arm,” he told the podcast’s hosts. “I would be the first to admit I had taken my eyes off the ball.”

Anita Frawley has released the following statement on the passing of Danny, plus details of his memorial service to be held this Wednesday.

On Monday, the love of my life was tragically taken from my girls and I.

Many have speculated on the cause and lead up to this tragedy. Danny, as a champion of mental health would want me to continue his legacy and be open with the public of the events leading up to this heartbreak.

While the circumstances of the event are unconfirmed and will remain uncertain until the investigations are complete, it was true that Danny’s mental health had deteriorated in recent weeks.

As is widely known, Danny had experienced and lived with depression dating back a number of years. But to his credit, he had put up his hand and accepted psychiatric treatment, counselling and medication. He recovered and returned to being the Danny of old.

The road leading up to last Monday’s events began 8 months ago when Danny made the decision to take himself off his prescribed medication. At this point Danny felt invincible, like the true competitor and proud man that he was; he felt that he had beaten the disease. In fact, he felt bullet proof, which contributed to his decision to remove himself from his support network including his psychiatric care and not continuing to work with his team of mental health professionals.

The reason I am making this public is that I want this to be a reminder to all those grappling with mental health conditions and to those whom have made progress with their wellbeing that you should always seek help from professionals when considering making decisions surrounding your mental health, even when you feel as though you have fully recovered.

Our final memory of Danny is one we will cherish forever, a night spent sitting around our family table, playing board games and laughing on his 56th birthday. He will never be forgotten and will forever be in our hearts.

I would like to leave everyone with this quote from Danny, “manning up in the past was to suffer in silence, manning up now is to put your hand up.”

That’s such a familiar story unfortunately, I’ve seen it way too often people stop taking medication because they think they’re in a good spot again only for it to turn real bad.
RIP

Has anyone heard any details about the funeral? Might go pay my respects if it's in Melbourne.
Wednesday, 3pm at Linton St Oval

Thousands of St Kilda supporters, football lovers and members of the public will be welcomed to RSEA Park, Moorabbin on Wednesday afternoon to say goodbye to St Kilda champion Danny Frawley.

Giant screens will live-stream a private funeral service which is being conducted at the Moorabbin Town Hall from 3pm.

Parking in the vicinity of RSEA Park will be extremely limited, so attendees are encouraged to travel via public transport.

Those attending are also encouraged to bring a picnic blanket as the screens will be positioned on the playing surface.

Once the private funeral service has concluded, Frawley’s hearse will make its way to RSEA Park to complete a lap of honour.

At the request of the family, attendees are encouraged to make a donation to Beyond Blue rather than paying their respects through flowers and cards.

Last edited:
Wed 3pm at Linton St Oval

Thousands of St Kilda supporters, football lovers and members of the public will be welcomed to RSEA Park, Moorabbin on Wednesday afternoon to say goodbye to St Kilda champion Danny Frawley.

Giant screens will live-stream a private funeral service which is being conducted at the Moorabbin Town Hall from 3pm.

Parking in the vicinity of RSEA Park will be extremely limited, so attendees are encouraged to travel via public transport.

Those attending are also encouraged to bring a picnic blanket as the screens will be positioned on the playing surface.

Once the private funeral service has concluded, Frawley’s hearse will make its way to RSEA Park to complete a lap of honour.

At the request of the family, attendees are encouraged to make a donation to Beyond Blue rather than paying their respects through flowers and cards.

Cheers. Will make an effort to get there.

I know this may sound a bit cold but Anita's clarification of Danny's recent events which lead to his decline in mental health have eased my mind a bit. As someone who has suffered over recent years Danny's death had a fair impact on me. To see a high profile advocate for mental illness suffer such a dramatic demise was both shocking and disheartening. It made me feel like even with treatment the illness can still be so overwhelming for even the strongest mind. I just wish Danny had been able to recommence treatment in time. I met Danny twice in a professional context. He was one of the nice guys. Such a shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this may sound a bit cold but Anita's clarification of Danny's recent events which lead to his decline in mental health have eased my mind a bit. As someone who has suffered over recent years Danny's death had a fair impact on me. To see a high profile advocate for mental illness suffer such a dramatic demise was both shocking and disheartening. It made me feel like even with treatment the illness can still be so overwhelming for even the strongest mind. I just wish Danny had been able to recommence treatment in time. I met Danny twice in a professional context. He was one of the nice guys. Such a shame.
Doesnt sound cold at all and i think that was the intent of Anita's statement.

Was tough to watch. Some great stories and heartfelt speeches. Personally fount it a bit disappointing that Campbell tried to incorporate the 'let Toby play' discussion into his speech but maybe that was just me.

The yarn about a fan giving him coaching advice at the urinal at half time and then Spud implementing said advice was golden.

Was tough to watch. Some great stories and heartfelt speeches. Personally fount it a bit disappointing that Campbell tried to incorporate the 'let Toby play' discussion into his speech but maybe that was just me.

The yarn about a fan giving him coaching advice at the urinal at half time and then Spud implementing said advice was golden.

It was really tacky, he will regret it one day you would think

I agree with the Let Toby play line. Not the time nor place to bring up that, and l thought it was poor taste. I know really hope the appeals board don't lift his ban, and we absolutely smash them!

Nah I think it's exactly the sort of thing Spud would have laughed his arse off about. It was clearly said in jest.

Nah I think it's exactly the sort of thing Spud would have laughed his arse off about. It was clearly said in jest.
Yeah I knew that would be the other side of the argument, I just found it cheap and unnecessary. Agree it was said in jest but I do think there was a small element of it that intended to put pressure on Gil and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back