Toast Vale Danny Frawley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a Danny Frawley rule on this board. Verbal abuse, threatening violence, name calling should be called out and dealt with harshly. Nobody knows what others are going through, and if Spud hadn't spoken about his struggles we wouldn't have had a clue.

Reckon we can all get behind this.

Need a Danny Frawley rule on this board. Verbal abuse, threatening violence, name calling should be called out and dealt with harshly. Nobody knows what others are going through, and if Spud hadn't spoken about his struggles we wouldn't have had a clue.

I generally agree & avoid getting into heated on-line arguments myself, as it's all a bit pointless. The 'harshly' bit worries me a tad, as we could well be isolating someone that is also struggling.

Such a sad sad day for the family and football world. I just hope the Podcast he was on didnt bring back all the memories and thoughts that the great man had a few years ago.
Great man RIP SPUD...

I generally agree & avoid getting into heated on-line arguments myself, as it's all a bit pointless. The 'harshly' bit worries me a tad, as we could well be isolating someone that is also struggling.
Well we can't just let disgraceful behaviour like this continue. We have a dedicated thread for people to seek help outside of this place, and we obviously can't assume what people are going through but we most definitely can treat others with respect.

I would hope that others can use this tragedy to make change in their own lives and how they treat people either outside of here or not. And instead of saying that they care all the time it would be nice to see an evident change in behaviour. Actions speak louder than words.

Putting an end to this kind of stuff, on this board at least, may make a big difference.

A bit of light through the gloom ....

As a Saint's tragic for 50 years I often think back about the great players of yesteryear. Strangely I was talking to a fellow tragic only a week ago and I recounted a story about Spud from the good old Moorabbin days.

At the time my mates and I were watching from behind the goals at the Nepean Road end of the ground. This was an especially popular vantage point whenever Plugger was at his rampaging best. Of course, you only got to see Plugger strut his stuff up close and personal for two quarters. For the other two quarters we got to see Spud doing his best impersonation of Spiderman clinging like a leech to some poor bastard.

Now Spud was a decent footballer and an excellent defender. A strong overhead mark and capable of spoiling by punching the ball 30 metres into the crowd. On this particular day we were playing the Cats and at close hand I witnessed another weapon in his repertoire.

The Saints often played Plugger one out in the goal square, clearing everyone else outside the 50. The Cats decided to follow suit and sent Gary Ablett Snr to the goal square, one out on Spud. Right in front of us.

Well, the first time the Cats pumped the ball in long to Ablett, Spud was caught out of position and all he could do was hang on to Ablett's back. He scragged and held Ablett sufficiently to bring the ball to the deck. Instinctively, Spud dived on the ball as it was barely 5 metres from the goal line. Obviously, he was a prime candidate for being caught holding the ball.

It was then that Spud worked his magic. Before Ablett could lay a tackle or fall on top of him pinning the ball, Spud pushed the ball out from under him and away from his body. However, importantly it stayed with arm's length. Ablett, seeing the ball free (well sort of) reached for the ball, thinking he would simply prise it from Spud's grasp. As soon as Ablett's hands touched the ball Spud grabbed him around the waist and pulled him down on top of the ball. At the same time his other hand grappled for the ball. The ball was hopelessly pinned between them, neither effectively in control.

By this time the umpire had arrived as well as reinforcements. The umpy had no alternative but to ball it up. From the resulting ruck contest we easily rushed a behind. When Spud came to the fence to retrieve the ball from a spectator I noticed he had a big grin on his face. It was a simple tactic but hugely effective.

Having noticed it for the first time that day I continued to watch out for it future games. I saw Spud do it many times, often with subtle variations. On similar occasions when he was caught out as 'last man standing' near the goal, he almost handed the ball to the opposition player before immediately tackling them and wrestling for possession. I don't ever recall him conceding a goal when he used the sneaky tactic.

If any of you have old match videos of Spud playing, I'm sure you'll see him employ the trick. It was like dangling bait in front of a fish or cheese in front of a mouse. Very few could resist, not even the great Ablett. Once the Spud Mousetrap snapped shut there was nothing to do but wait for the ball up.

When I remember Spud now, that grin on his face the first time I saw him do it against Ablett will always stay with me.

A bit of light through the gloom ....

As a Saint's tragic for 50 years I often think back about the great players of yesteryear. Strangely I was talking to a fellow tragic only a week ago and I recounted a story about Spud from the good old Moorabbin days.

At the time my mates and I were watching from behind the goals at the Nepean Road end of the ground. This was an especially popular vantage point whenever Plugger was at his rampaging best. Of course, you only got to see Plugger strut his stuff up close and personal for two quarters. For the other two quarters we got to see Spud doing his best impersonation of Spiderman clinging like a leech to some poor bastard.

Now Spud was a decent footballer and an excellent defender. A strong overhead mark and capable of spoiling by punching the ball 30 metres into the crowd. On this particular day we were playing the Cats and at close hand I witnessed another weapon in his repertoire.

The Saints often played Plugger one out in the goal square, clearing everyone else outside the 50. The Cats decided to follow suit and sent Gary Ablett Snr to the goal square, one out on Spud. Right in front of us.

Well, the first time the Cats pumped the ball in long to Ablett, Spud was caught out of position and all he could do was hang on to Ablett's back. He scragged and held Ablett sufficiently to bring the ball to the deck. Instinctively, Spud dived on the ball as it was barely 5 metres from the goal line. Obviously, he was a prime candidate for being caught holding the ball.

It was then that Spud worked his magic. Before Ablett could lay a tackle or fall on top of him pinning the ball, Spud pushed the ball out from under him and away from his body. However, importantly it stayed with arm's length. Ablett, seeing the ball free (well sort of) reached for the ball, thinking he would simply prise it from Spud's grasp. As soon as Ablett's hands touched the ball Spud grabbed him around the waist and pulled him down on top of the ball. At the same time his other hand grappled for the ball. The ball was hopelessly pinned between them, neither effectively in control.

By this time the umpire had arrived as well as reinforcements. The umpy had no alternative but to ball it up. From the resulting ruck contest we easily rushed a behind. When Spud came to the fence to retrieve the ball from a spectator I noticed he had a big grin on his face. It was a simple tactic but hugely effective.

Having noticed it for the first time that day I continued to watch out for it future games. I saw Spud do it many times, often with subtle variations. On similar occasions when he was caught out as 'last man standing' near the goal, he almost handed the ball to the opposition player before immediately tackling them and wrestling for possession. I don't ever recall him conceding a goal when he used the sneaky tactic.

If any of you have old match videos of Spud playing, I'm sure you'll see him employ the trick. It was like dangling bait in front of a fish or cheese in front of a mouse. Very few could resist, not even the great Ablett. Once the Spud Mousetrap snapped shut there was nothing to do but wait for the ball up.

When I remember Spud now, that grin on his face the first time I saw him do it against Ablett will always stay with me.

He was a gem and a horrible miser to his poor opponents. Did anyone ever witness Ablett getting a kick on him? I don't remember one occasion.

Embarassment, shame and anxiety aren't the only emotions that drive any person to suicide. There are far too many amongst us that fantasize about suicide as a means of ending their own personal suffering, but don't act on that because they understand the impact that their death will have on their loved ones.

It's when people actually start to believe that the world in general, and their world in particular, will be a better place without them in it that things get scary. These people cultivate a philosophical desire to die that, in their minds, is based on sound reasoning and strong logic. For these people the act of sucide becomes almost heroic.

Perhaps even more terrifying is that studies show that self destructive behaviour spikes in the immediate aftermath of suicides involving celebrities, especially when media reporting is intensive and glorifying.

It is important that we all find some time to focus on the living. The Frawley family, our own families, Jack Steven, any one else with depressive tendencies that needs to feel the touch of our love. They need to be told that the world will not be a better place without them in it. That any self-destructive thoughts they have are, as others like MOLTEN GANGLANDS have spoken about previously, just temporary. Hang in there and get help! There are some really, really good places to find professional help at the touch of a button or the click of a mouse. These include:

Lifeline : 13 11 14 https://www.lifeline.org.au/
SuicideLine Victoria: 1300 651 251 https://www.suicideline.org.au/
Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800 https://kidshelpline.com.au/
Suicide Callback Service: 1300 659 467 https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/
Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

People need to take heed of your wise father's words Cursing. "You can have nothing and make people laugh". No one is useless and anyone has something to give the world.

Yeah, it's all just assumption atm. Reason I posted, was to counter this notion, that, 'maybe he didn't realise how much he was loved, and maybe he'd still be here if he did.'

For 2 years, I've listed to him speak on his 'No man should ever walk alone' show about his battles. Many of which, mirror my own. Between that and all the other reports coming out, I'd like to think this scenario is closer to what happened.

Whatever the case, it's up to his family and close friends if they want to discuss any of this. After all, It's their story to tell, if they so wish. So far, most of the discussion ive seen has been tasteful, I hope it remains that way.

I heard some one on SEN saying that there is a real issue after your football life ends to find meaning. Rooey also suggested this morning that Danny spent three days in his St Kilda jumper because taking it off made it real. He was disappointed Rooey didn't do the same after suggesting it.

I know people who are on radio and the media is also a very insecure industry. Our friend worked on JJJ and once you stop being youthful, youth radio isn't your place. She's found stuff to do in the industry and still has some on air work but it was a major stress as she was always seeing the end coming from about 25 years old. She's over 40 now and still feels like any year could be her last. If you couple that with financial issues the stress must be unbearable.

You probably had somekind of come down after having a very exciting career too Juggy. I reckon it must be hard to adapt back.

George that's when i loose interest on here is when people get the personal hate crap going. Why get so wound up because someone has a different opinion, perception or view of something. Only shows a lack of respect, tolerance or intelligence.
Time is better spent appreciating what is important.

George that's when i loose interest on here is when people get the personal hate crap going. Why get so wound up because someone has a different opinion, perception or view of something. Only shows a lack of respect, tolerance or intelligence.
Time is better spent appreciating what is important.
Yep. It shouldn't have to come to someones death for us to start being nicer to each other but I think any time something tragic like this happens it's good for us to reflect on our own lives and how we can be better to each other and to ourselves.

We're all Sainters at the end of the day and need to consider what someone may be going through before posting.

I've posted a few times about this today because I felt compelled too given how many PM's I get from people on here that are doing it tough and it isn't helped when abuse is hurled around and things get heated.

I take the club will announce what they are doing for Danny next week, I would guess something at Linton street

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching 360, lyon and dunstall shattered

One of the most raw and emotional interviews I’ve ever seen.
Two absolutely shell-shocked, devastated men.
😢

Brilliant post. In memory of SPUD what a great rule for a truly immense icon. Great way to honour his memory.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back