Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is in this era Social Media drives News and the Traditional Fourth Estate are attempting to stay relevant by seeking out the lowest common denominator to attract a dwindling readership and advertising dollar.
You do realise you are basically calling all of us in this thread the 'lowest common denominator', right?

We are all interested in this event. We're even posting about it on an anonymous internet forum.

You can bet your last penny that Fox Footy's rating were up last night.

Are all the people who tuned in due to Frawley's passing the 'lowest common denominator'?

for the media he was one of "us" not "them", so it's understandable that someone in the media treating him now as a "them" would be jarring to a few. jargon jargon jargon something something something they took our jobs

You do realise you are basically calling all of us in this thread the 'lowest common denominator', right?

We are all interested in this event. We're even posting about it on an anonymous internet forum.

You can bet your last penny that Fox Footy's rating were up last night.

Are all the people who tuned in due to Frawley's passing the 'lowest common denominator'?

To this case?

Not at all; it’s a generalisation

Let me go to news.com.au tonight and find an example

Brb...

3AW has quoted Police in each news bulletin since 11am saying that Police have confirmed they are treating this as self harm and it has not been recorded in road toll figures. Report is definitive (I am assuming correct). Age and Herald Sun using similar language.

Is there anything online? I can't seem to find any direct quotes that explicitly mention it was suicide. Happy to stand corrected.

Is there anything online? I can't seem to find any direct quotes that explicitly mention it was suicide. Happy to stand corrected.

"There were no other passengers in the vehicle. Police have told 3AW the crash is being treated as case of self-harm and the state’s road toll figure was revised down by one to 197 on Tuesday morning."

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

There were no other passengers in the vehicle. Police have told 3AW the crash is being treated as case of self-harm and the state’s road toll figure was revised down by one to 197 on Tuesday morning.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally think VicPol should be releasing that info themselves rather than second hand, and in a few days time - but that's just me.

The problem is in this era Social Media drives News and the Traditional Fourth Estate are attempting to stay relevant by seeking out the lowest common denominator to attract a dwindling readership and advertising dollar.
whilst i agree the practice of profiteering of other peoples misery is morally bankrupt i don't believe its a new phenomenon that arrived with social media, these same "news agencies" (and i use the term VERY loosely) have been using the same modus operandus for a long time, before the arrival it was simply the jungle drums and grapevines they were racing to bring their reporting to you. the social media has just sped up the process.

whilst i agree the practice of profiteering of other peoples misery is morally bankrupt i don't believe its a new phenomenon that arrived with social media, these same "news agencies" (and i use the term VERY loosely) have been using the same modus operandus for a long time, before the arrival it was simply the jungle drums and grapevines they were racing to bring their reporting to you. the social media has just sped up the process.

Social media has accelerated the process and removed whatever room there was for actual news and ongoing coverage and analysis of events tho.

Personally think VicPol should be releasing that info themselves rather than second hand, and in a few days time - but that's just me.
Totally agree.
Not only that, this claim better be 100% spot on, and not just a "likely" cause, as this could not only cause family more grief, but ruin a potentially vital insurance claim, with police jumping to such a conclusion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Age would never have printed what they printed two days ago 20 years ago or before.

That is a newspaper that has gone from 2 kilograms of weight on a Saturday in the late 1980’s to niche reading on a Saturday

The article in yesterday's Age was accompanied by all of the mental health/suicide organisations helplines. If they believed it was simply an accidental crash, those helplines would not be quoted.

They have been quoted many times now - what more do you want to hear? VicPol has confirmed that this road death is not being counted in road toll figures as it is being treated as a self harm issue. Been in media everywhere.

Fair point, a government bureau should not be using a private media channel to exclusively perform their comms.

The article in yesterday's Age was accompanied by all of the mental health/suicide organisations helplines. If they believed it was simply an accidental crash, those helplines would not be quoted.
They have been quoted many times now - what more do you want to hear? VicPol has confirmed that this road death is not being counted in road toll figures as it is being treated as a self harm issue. Been in media everywhere.

KC's post above pretty much hits the nail on the head of my point.

In an age now where we need be vigilant about the news we consume, sets a dangerous precedent IMO.

Not accusing 3AW of anything sinister and the circumstances since have become clearer, I just think there should be a better approach to disseminating info regarding high profile fatalities, irrespective of circumstances. Not saying its right, just my opinion.

KC's post above pretty much hits the nail on the head of my point.

In an age now where we need be vigilant about the news we consume, sets a dangerous precedent IMO.

Not accusing 3AW of anything sinister and the circumstances since have become clearer, I just think there should be a better approach to disseminating info regarding high profile fatalities, irrespective of circumstances. Not saying its right, just my opinion.
Don't necessarily disagree. I've been in the industry for many years. Many, many years. When I do speaking gigs I usually hold up my mobile phone and say that in my 35 years in and around the media that is the single thing that has changed the way we report news. Whether the radio, TV or press report it or not it is on social media immediately. Everyone on BF knew it was spud hours before the info was released as the Police had trouble finding all the family.
So no matter how long the Police wait to confirm the identity anyone who wants to know, will know. I am surprised a little at the suicide claims coming up so early. Police may say they are not treating the death as suspicious which is code for suicide. From what I can see here they actually said the death would not be counted in the road toll as this was being treated as self harm. (This is as reported in the media so I don't know how they gave this message - in media release or a spokesperson).
I suppose all we owe people is respect and the truth. Never easy to balance and I do understand the want of some people for respect meaning silence on some issues, but I think that option has now passed given the rapid fire communications options.
By the way my understanding is that 3AW did not break the news - they kept to the Police embargo.

Have to think of mates like Dunstall & Lyon, Brayshaw, no matter how you feel about them. To have such a great mate, whether you knew how bad he was suffering or not, to go like that will weigh very heavily on them the same as family.
Heart goes out to all at St. Kilda B & F tonight too.

Last year a mate of mine rode his bike into a B double at very high speed. There's been plenty of speculation about whether or not he meant it and its a ****ed thing to contemplate. Personally I think its highly unlikely but not impossible. (He might have realised he ****ed up and he wasn't gonna save it and then determined not to survive (cos he didn't want to be physically ****ed for the rest of his life) which is very different in my opinion.) Some people think he did tho and its really ****ed them up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back