News Vale Darren McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

I have it on good authority that he passed away under very tragic circumstances over the weekend. I don't have any other details to share at this time.

Played 85 games and kicked 46 goals with Port in the SANFL from 1990-1998. Missed out on playing in the grand finals of Port's most recent "golden era" of the late 1980s and 1990s. Sadly I don't recall if he played in the 1997 grand final or the 1998 flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

****!!! I read the thread title a few times trying to get it to sink in. Darren would be younger than me, so hard to believe!

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I heard about this via 5AA on Saturday, very sad news. I haven't noticed anything put out or said by the club as yet, although the Magpies wore black arm bands on Friday night (not sure if his passing was the reason though).

He was one of the first players to give me an autograph when I first started regularly going to the footy as a 12 year old.

One of my favourites of that era. Very unlucky not to play in at least one flag. Good hard nosed wingman/mid who could fill in on a flank. Its tragic news.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Saw this in another thread the other. Haven't heard anything since. He must've been, what, early 50s at the most? Way too young. Pretty solid player. Shame he didn't get to 100 games...

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Have just caught up with the news as I was overseas when this happened.

Son of Ashley McKay a former Port player and the runner for Jack before Mick Armfield. I knew Darren well as he worked at the Port Club then went to the Seaton as manager.

That is sad news indeed.

Jack Grange

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One of my favourites of that era. Very unlucky not to play in at least one flag. Good hard nosed wingman/mid who could fill in on a flank. Its tragic news.
His father Ash was the runner during my days at maggies....very, very tragic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back