Vale Darryl Sutton

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Darryl Sutton who played in North's 1977 Premiership has died aged 64. Darryl was a super star sportsman at School in Tasmania, Darryl played his junior football at the Glenorchy football club & played in their 1975 Premiership team with a 17yo Rodney Eade & coached by Peter Hudson. He ended his football career coaching the North Hobart club in 1986. His career at North Melbourne speaks for itself. A fantastic athlete who could play at either end of the ground. The 1977 premiership was a fitting highlight for Darryl & his family.
Darryl suffered dementia in his later life.
Its a sad loss for his family, friends those of us who saw him through school sports, club sports, & the VFL.

RIP Darryl. Very sad news. Seeing him fly for marks and spoil from five deep in big finals during the 70's left a lasting impression on me. Sincere condolences to all of his family and close friends.

64's way too young!

Darryl-Sutton-1-muutws6uqhyf25rlrmba844tje599ox3wqyoxskj1s.jpg

RIP Darryl. Very sad news. Seeing him fly for marks and spoil from five deep in big finals during the 70's left a lasting impression on me. Sincere condolences to all of his family and close friends.

64's way too young!

Darryl-Sutton-1-muutws6uqhyf25rlrmba844tje599ox3wqyoxskj1s.jpg
Too young indeed. Saw Crackers Keenan tweet it out, and of course he spelled it "vail".

Just yesterday came across the last quarter of a game vs South at Arden St in 1980 on youtube. He was instrumental in repelling some late South attacks in a 3 point win. Really liked him as a player in those great teams. What would be the modern equivalent? Sammy Wright?

And wasn't it Sutton that was on the end of a famous Barassi spray caught on film?

And wasn't it Sutton that was on the end of a famous Barassi spray caught on film?

Question is WHO didn't ever cop a spray from Barras?

Some serious BLEEPINg going on there..

Yes. Way too young. Wishing comfort to his family and friends. A part of North Melbourne history!

Considering my father copped a bout of pneumonia late last year and already has traces of dementia but still remains healthy, kicking along strong makes you wonder how seriously depleted Darryl was in recent times (16 years younger than my old man) and I happen to work at the same logistics company back in 1998 where Sutton worked. So you can say I've been touched by this sad news. :( R.i.P. to the two time AA, Darryl Sutton.

Last edited:
Sad news, RIP Darryl, i clearly remember him taking some hangers, at least on a par with the great Malcom Blight.

Took a Trevor Barker like hanger at VFL Park I recall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The very first game I ever attended was a few days before my 7th birthday at Moorabbin in 1979. We were expected to smash St.Kilda, but we just snuck over the line by 3 points when a North shot that snicked the post was missed by the goal umpire and wrongly paid a goal. As soon as the siren went I jumped the fence and sprinted as fast as my 6yo legs could go to the first North player I could find and give him a pat on the back. That player was #5 Darryl Sutton. Wandering out of the ground with my Dad (a Saints fan) I said it was the best day of my life and, much to my Dad's annoyance, I was thereon a Roo for life.

Vale Darryl Sutton.

Last edited:
I'm too young to have seen him play but it's always a sad event when a Shinboner dies. Sounds like a ripping player who has died too soon and in sad circumstances. Lost my grandfather to a long battle with Alzheimer's at the end of last year so I know how hard it is on the family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back