News Vale David Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs are mourning the death of former player David Darcy.

David, the father of former Dogs’ captain and current Director, Luke, died on Saturday, aged 76.

David Darcy played 133 games and kicked 47 goals for Footscray in two stints, from 1963-66, and from 1968-71.

He represented Victoria four times, and also spent four seasons with South Adelaide in the SANFL, including two years as captain-coach.

David’s career at the Bulldogs allowed the Club to use the father-son rule to recruit his son Luke in the 1992 AFL Draft. Luke went on to enjoy a brilliant 14-year career in the red, white and blue.

The Club would like to express its sincere condolences to the Darcy family during this difficult time.

Very sad news. I never saw Darcy play, but my father was a big wrap for his ability. Best wishes to all who knew him

Just saw that on Twitter, condolences to the Darcy family. Glad to see that David saw the 16 flag before this happened. RIP

I used to admire David Darcy as a kid. Good mark and an excellent kick. Not a hard man in the Rick Kennedy mould but a straight down the line key defender.

At least that's how I remember him. It was a long time ago. I also recall he used to do drop kicks after we'd conceded a behind, regularly kicking 50-60 metres downfield. With the speed of the modern game the drop kick has now joined the place kick as a forgotten art.

Very sad to hear of his death.
It would have been great to see David alongside Luke in a photo when/if young Sam makes his debut for the club.

Sad new, I’m old enough to remember David playing
Played Footy and went to school with some of the Darcy's
Condolences to the Darcy family RIP

Very sad news. Condolences.

wondering if the gap in Davids footy was National Service if so did he go to Viet Nam ? as an ex vet
I don't recall anything about NS in relation to Darcy. He played for South Adelaide in 1967.

Darcy was one of a few very good backmen including John Hoiles and John Jillard who stood out in the lean mid to late 60's. He was a skilful, poised player who marked and kicked well. I remember feeling sad when, at the height of his career, he left to play with South Adelaide. Then I felt happy when he returned a year later to bolster a faltering team. Wore No 15 if my memory serves me well. Condolences to family and all concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy was one of a few very good backmen including John Hoiles and John Jillard who stood out in the lean mid to late 60's. He was a skilful, poised player who marked and kicked well. I remember feeling sad when, at the height of his career, he left to play with South Adelaide. Then I felt happy when he returned a year later to bolster a faltering team. Wore No 15 if my memory serves me well. Condolences to family and all concerned.

Correct young fella , No15 , was one of my favourites.
Was always immaculate when he ran out on the ground , good looking bloke too !
Ran into blokes like Peter Hudson , Doug Wade , Royce Hart ——-

I read in the HS that they will be wearing them against Brisbane. I think it's because they are on channel 7 on Saturday night.

Great question. There better be a good reason why they were missing.

From the club.

Hi

Thank you for your email.

The Western Bulldogs players and staff will wear black armbands this Saturday against the Brisbane Lions to recognise the passing of former player David Darcy. An unfortunate oversight meant that this did not occur last night and the Club has contacted the Darcy family.

Kind Regards,

Western Bulldogs Membership Department

* all to do with Channel 7, but nice that they have informed the family.

It was a terrible oversight. If I could remember it while watching the game someone should've been able to beforehand. Nothing malicious but still disappointing.
Wouldn't call it terrible. It was a forgivable lapse in protocol.

These are unusual times: Based in a hub. New routines. Lots and lots of logistic stuff having to be re-invented for the changed circumstances. All this with reduced staff. On top of that we were travelling away from the hub for the first time to play in Adelaide so even more complexity to manage.

Not hard to see how it could be overlooked.
Ideally it shouldn't have happened but it did and they apologised. We move on.

From the club.

Hi

Thank you for your email.

The Western Bulldogs players and staff will wear black armbands this Saturday against the Brisbane Lions to recognise the passing of former player David Darcy. An unfortunate oversight meant that this did not occur last night and the Club has contacted the Darcy family.

Kind Regards,

Western Bulldogs Membership Department

fu** all to do with Channel 7, but nice that they have informed the family.

Another ex-bulldog, John Bradbury, who played from the late 50's to early 60's also died late last week and was reported in the media but haven't seen anything about it by the club either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back