Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Scodges

Debutant
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees, Everton
It’s rumoured that David Granger passed away this afternoon. Does anyone have any news about this? Obviously I hope it’s not true.

Last edited:

Dave will be largely remembered for some intemperate on-field actions but he was one of the most spectacularly talented athletes to play for Port. A high-flying powerful mark, mercurial skills and yes a huge physical on-field presence. We probably would not have won the 1981 premiership without him.

He will always be a Port Adelaide legend.

I will always remember him as this hulking giant of a man when as a kid I asked for his autograph for my duffle coat at Adelaide Oval. I had David 18 Granger on the back.

I did see him a few years back near the Woodville/Port Rd corner. He was a shell of the man that I remembered. Just quietly he still scared me.

One of those players who was unbeatable when he decided to turn it on. I am sure there was a reserves Grand Final when Port were down by plenty at 3 quarter time and he turned it on and we won. 1980 if I remember correctly.

Got to know him over the last 5-6 years after he became a regular at my shop. Very funny, very personable but also very troubled. Was a good guy. Great sense of humour. Will miss him. And what a footballer he was! RIP Big Dave!

I will always remember him as this hulking giant of a man when as a kid I asked for his autograph for my duffle coat at Adelaide Oval. I had David 18 Granger on the back.

I did see him a few years back near the Woodville/Port Rd corner. He was a shell of the man that I remembered. Just quietly he still scared me.

One of those players who was unbeatable when he decided to turn it on. I am sure there was a reserves Grand Final when Port were down by plenty at 3 quarter time and he turned it on and we won. 1980 if I remember correctly.

It was the 1980 reserves grand final. Glenelg were 44 points up at three quarter time 13.12 to 6.10. Coming home with the breeze, Port Adelaide kicked 9.6 to a solitary point by Glenelg in the last quarter to win the Reserves Premiership by 15 points, 15.16 (106) to 13.13 (91). David Granger kicked 5 goals (I counted 7 at the game but I was delirious ;))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA football's complex cult figure David Granger dies - InDaily

Controversial. Cult hero. Complex. David Granger, the footballer and the man, was all this.

Often misunderstood but rarely under-appreciated as a powerful footballer, Granger is one of the most-remembered names from the Port Adelaide premiership teams of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

In fact, the popular corruption of his name to “Grave Danger” says so much of a man who stiffened the backs of opponents and fans as soon as he stepped over that white line of football fields in the SANFL and VFL.

His name is forever on the No.18 locker at Alberton, in recognition of his 103 senior games with Port Adelaide from 1975-1982.

The image of that No.18 on the back of a man who could have modelled for Greek mythological statues will never fade nor fall from the memory of thousands of Port Adelaide fans who admired Granger as the epitome of tough, uncompromising football, and a team-first mentality, regardless of the personal sacrifice that came with looking after his mates, on and off the field.

Granger was as Port Adelaide – loved or loathed. There was no middle ground.

At Alberton, many will worship the memory of a player who made his team-mates “walk taller” knowing he had their backs and his fans admire the strength, courage and beauty of his football.

So much of David Granger is untold and misunderstood. But never under-estimated is how, in the right circumstances, he could play the most powerful games in the most difficult role on the football field.

SA football's complex cult figure David Granger dies - InDaily

Controversial. Cult hero. Complex. David Granger, the footballer and the man, was all this.

Often misunderstood but rarely under-appreciated as a powerful footballer, Granger is one of the most-remembered names from the Port Adelaide premiership teams of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

In fact, the popular corruption of his name to “Grave Danger” says so much of a man who stiffened the backs of opponents and fans as soon as he stepped over that white line of football fields in the SANFL and VFL.

His name is forever on the No.18 locker at Alberton, in recognition of his 103 senior games with Port Adelaide from 1975-1982.

The image of that No.18 on the back of a man who could have modelled for Greek mythological statues will never fade nor fall from the memory of thousands of Port Adelaide fans who admired Granger as the epitome of tough, uncompromising football, and a team-first mentality, regardless of the personal sacrifice that came with looking after his mates, on and off the field.

Granger was as Port Adelaide – loved or loathed. There was no middle ground.

At Alberton, many will worship the memory of a player who made his team-mates “walk taller” knowing he had their backs and his fans admire the strength, courage and beauty of his football.

So much of David Granger is untold and misunderstood. But never under-estimated is how, in the right circumstances, he could play the most powerful games in the most difficult role on the football field.

Haha - reading that story, I used the perfect picture to change my avatar to.

Loved watching him play ... just such a divisive character! My only personal contact with him was on the golf course, playing a round in front of his group at Patawolonga. I sliced my ball onto his fairway & nearly hit his group. They were faster than us, so we waited on the next tee to let them through. As they come up to us, I saw marching toward me was none other than Drave Ganger himself!

My first though was "oh sh!t, I am in big trouble!" But no! He walks up to me, sticks his hand out, shakes my hand, and says "hi, Dave. Thanks mate." He was as nice as pie. I told him I was a Port tragic, and a big fan, and he just dipped his head with a smile. We all hit our tee shots together, they thanked us again, and went on ahead.

My brush with Grave Danger.

RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back