snags

Debutant
Aug 22, 2000
At Forges then Poons
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray and Footscray
Sad to see the passing of doggies winger Denis Collins, have wonderful memories of the very quick and skillful no.15 tearing down the wing at WO.
Part of the Braybrook football factory, 'scruffy' played 100 games for the scraggers before heading to Carlton and later Richmond.
Brother Daryl(also from Braybrook) played alongside Denis in rd.1 1974,his dad Jack played for Fitzroy and later in a premiership at Essendon.
Denis died of a heart attack in WA on wednesday

Collins' last year with us was my first year as a member - 1977. When I read his name in the thread title an image of him instantly appeared in my head and 'scruffy' and 'scragger' came to mind. Happy memories of days gone by. R.I.P.

dc.jpg

:(A solid player with great PACE and good hands he loved playing at Waverley where he could use his great asset.

I also remember one night when he worked at the POWELL HOTEL with Gorden Casey where a great blue errupted in the Sportsman bar out the back. To gangs clashed over the billard table and there was billards balls and cues flying everwhere and Denis was tucking and weaving- great days.

Cheers
Algy

Great story in today's paper on why he missed the 1980 GF side for the Tigers. Let's just say, there was a girlfriend and the movies involved. ;)

:(A solid player with great PACE and good hands he loved playing at Waverley where he could use his great asset.

I also remember one night when he worked at the POWELL HOTEL with Gorden Casey where a great blue errupted in the Sportsman bar out the back. To gangs clashed over the billard table and there was billards balls and cues flying everwhere and Denis was tucking and weaving- great days.

Cheers
Algy

Good on you Algy, fond memories of the old 'Grunt and Growl' Daryl Collins used to work up there as well, and old Jack was a permanent in the front bar.The dark and dingy old Arena bar that had no natural light at all,and used to take 5 minutes for your retinas to adjust if you walked in from the carpark in daylight,and the 'Players bar' next door,where your eyes needed to adjust when you saw the clientele!

Saw most of Denis' 100+ games for us, a talented wingman/half forward, was disappointed when he left, but he left for the same reasons most of our stars left in those days. RIP Denis, too soon for a player of the 70s....

On a side note, how good does he look in that footy card wearing the traditional jumper, black shorts and those old socks (I've still got a pair somewhere!!!).

Fond memories of him dashing across the ground bouncing the ball. Not sure he ever looked for options ahead....simple loved running with the ball.:D

My other memory is of him being whacked by Robert muir when he played for Carlton. He went up and ruffled Muir's hair when he gave away a free kick....Muir turned around and gave him a big back-hander.

My father had something to do with Denis in regard to raising money for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. Can't remember what the deal was, but he said that Denis was quite a nice bloke.

Condolences to family and friends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty disappointed the club's website has no mention of his passing yet the Carlton site has a great article. Sad news.

Pretty disappointed the club's website has no mention of his passing yet the Carlton site has a great article. Sad news.
Yeah 100 gamer, not a 1-20 gamer, should be something on the website on him. They don't make footy players like real men these days as most now follow their mum looks and borrow her make up kit lol.

::confused:: Has there been anything on the websight, was there a death notice from the club? very disapointing if not.
When John Kerr died 2 years ago there was nothing on the websight and he was a premiership player.

I remember watching an exciting practice/demo match from Canberra (I think) in the 1970's live Footscray v Carlton where I'm pretty sure Dennis kicked the last Goal or Behind that got the Dog's over the line by 1 point.

An exciting winger who looked like (with his beard and long hair) he would be equally at home performing with Dr Hook in a concert as playing with the Dog's

RIP Dennis :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back