Vale Diego Maradona 1960-2020

Remove this Banner Ad

2020, bloody hell.

It's always depressing to see people die before their time, but it's even more depressing if the person in question is an indisputable football legend.

I know it sounds trite, but yet again I have to remind people to appreciate their older loved ones for whom they are, because the time may come all too quickly when you will be unable to.

As for the man himself, he basically played as he lived - with enough audacity, courage and passion to last several lifetimes. One of the best 3 footballers of all time, allying peerless technical ability and vision with a devilish burst of pace that, allied with his penchant for the theatrical, made him utterly unplayable on his day. That astounding solo goal against England in 1986 pretty much encapsulates the best of Maradona in 30 seconds, and is a snapshot of brilliance that will echo throughout the ages. None of the troubles that beset the man prior to his untimely passing can ever detract from his brilliance.

RIP.

Think it was Robbie Slater that said in an interview that Maradona took the entire Socceroos team on a massive bender in Buenos Aires after they were defeated narrowly in the second leg of USA 94 qualification playoff.

Maradona suggested that drug tests were deliberately avoided during the series, stating that "to play against Australia, the Association gave us a 'fast coffee'" to drink before the match.

Think it was Robbie Slater that said in an interview that Maradona took the entire Socceroos team on a massive bender in Buenos Aires after they were defeated narrowly in the second leg of USA 94 qualification playoff.

That was when Paul Wade tried to mark Maradona out of both games - and failed. He got his shirt though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He inspired many in Australia to love this game. His comeback was against us in November 1993. ******* hell. Not suprised he is dead but what a hole he has left.

I am completely heartbroken. What a man. I will always be in gratitude for passively introducing me to this game.

Bought truckloads of cocaine and hookers from the mafia for decades. Countless millions down the drain, helped the mafia fund a lot of their activities.

For decades? He was in Naples for 7 years. The mafia is worth tens of billions easily, but it is a stretch to say he was responsible for financing them.

Last edited:
Saw the 86 world cup final live as a kid, recorded on the vhs and all. What a player, goat. Jose Luis Brown died recently as well.

Some apt quotes in there from the great man.

‘I gave my opponents a big advantage due to my illness. Do you know the player I could have been if I hadn’t taken drugs?’

Kinda frightening to imagine!

‘I am 53 going on 78 because my life hasn’t been normal. I’ve lived 80 [years] with the life I’ve gone through.’

IMO there's no way any modern day player could get away with his lifestyle today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back