Vale Diego Maradona 1960-2020

Remove this Banner Ad

He inspired many in Australia to love this game. His comeback was against us in November 1993. ******* hell. Not suprised he is dead but what a hole he has left.

I am completely heartbroken. What a man. I will always be in gratitude for passively introducing me to this game.

I got to see the great man in action at SFS as a little kid. He was class that night.

I didn't get to see him at his peak, I wasn't old enough. I do vaguely remember him at the 94 World Cup before he was booted out. I reckon Argentina would've won it if he wasn't booted out of it.

A true legend of the sport, arguably the greatest of all time. The Napoli documentary showed what he went through there, and he prevailed winning their only league titles. His 86 World Cup performance will never be matched, only performance I've seen get close to it was Ronaldo in 2002 and that's levels below what Diego did.

Diego will be missed, he was a giant of the sport, and a flawed genius. But that's part of his mystique.

RIP great man.

Maradona has taken his seat next to God. They're both siting back chomping on Cuban cigars, sipping Cuban Rum and watching the world go by.

In Naples they used to sing:
"Oh mamma, mamma, mamma,

Oh mamma, mamma, mamma, do you know why my heart is beating?

"I saw Maradona, I saw Maradona, eh, mamma, and I'm in love."

His team mate Jorge Valdano said "He had the peripheral vision of an owl; the elegant nobility of a magician performing an illusion that tricks everyone; the power of a 4x4 to pull away, escaping; flawless passing to combine with teammates; lethal shooting, and a Napoleonic personality with which to go into the greatest battles."

It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's Diego Armando Maradona. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Maradona first, daylight second.

For decades? He was in Naples for 7 years. The mafia is worth tens of billions easily, but it is a stretch to say he was responsible for financing them.

You seriously think he cut ties with the mafia when he left Napoli? He was worth millions to them.

Somehow I don't think the mafia in Napoli was worth tens of billions in the 1980's, but whatever floats your boat.

You seriously think he cut ties with the mafia when he left Napoli? He was worth millions to them.

Somehow I don't think the mafia in Napoli was worth tens of billions in the 1980's, but whatever floats your boat.

Maradona was exploited by the mafia but lets be real here he was a drop in the ocean to them.

You seem to believe he was running the mafia.

Last edited:
Maradona was exploited by the maia but lets ve real here he was a drop in the ocean to them.

You seem to believe he was running the mafia.

Yeah the knock of Diego interacting with the mafia seems like a clutch at straws to lessen his cult of worship, particularly given his situation and the time in which he lived.

A lot more people have had a lot more dealings with the mafia with a lot less scrutiny about it too.

Lets face it, its not like Maradona was ever ordering hits or coordinating drug trafficking routes, he was just cozy with a lot of dodgy people....

Listen sonny, in Campania, especially at that time, no-one but no-one was immune to the influence of the Camorra, one of the oldest and largest organised crime syndicates in Italy with "branches" all over the world. You could not fart without their approval let alone run a pizza bar, a taxi, a cafe, local government etc etc etc. Maradona was a trinket to the Giuliano's, as he was to the Popes (he famously told Pope John Paul II to sell the Vatican's gold ceilings if he was so concerned with helping the poor), King Juan Carlos of Spain couldn't get enough of him.

You have absolutely no idea about Maradona's relationship with the Camorra. No-one refuses the advances of the Camorra , not the Police, the Politicians, the Priests not even Maradona. For you to matter-of-factly accuse Maradona of being part of that organisation and to make one of the most preposterous and embarrassing comments ever posted on Big Footy that Maradona "single handedly" financed the mafia shows just what a complete and utter fool you are.

Still miss Laszlo a lot as well 😢😢😢

Dino Zoff's reaction is priceless. Just that little collage of the 1986 and Valdano's quote "a Napoleonic personality with which to go into the greatest battles." just shows how far and away he was from any footballer that's ever played the game. He is the only Barcelona player which the Real Madrid fans have ever stood and applauded for at the Bernabéu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listen sonny, in Campania, especially at that time, no-one but no-one was immune to the influence of the Camorra, one of the oldest and largest organised crime syndicates in Italy with "branches" all over the world. You could not fart without their approval let alone run a pizza bar, a taxi, a cafe, local government etc etc etc. Maradona was a trinket to the Giuliano's, as he was to the Popes (he famously told Pope John Paul II to sell the Vatican's gold ceilings if he was so concerned with helping the poor), King Juan Carlos of Spain couldn't get enough of him.

You have absolutely no idea about Maradona's relationship with the Camorra. No-one refuses the advances of the Camorra , not the Police, the Politicians, the Priests not even Maradona. For you to matter-of-factly accuse Maradona of being part of that organisation and to make one of the most preposterous and embarrassing comments ever posted on Big Footy that Maradona "single handedly" financed the mafia shows just what a complete and utter fool you are.

Maradona was one of the wealthiest men in Napoli and spent the vast majority of his fortune on the finest drugs, wine and hookers, all supplied by the mafia. Clearly he LITERALLY did not fund the local mafia, only an idiot would take that literally and not an exaggeration, but he poured countless tens of millions into the local mafia. Maradona was not a Saint, he was arrogant, greedy and a criminal.

Maradona was one of the wealthiest men in Napoli and spent the vast majority of his fortune on the finest drugs, wine and hookers, all supplied by the mafia. Clearly he LITERALLY did not fund the local mafia, only an idiot would take that literally and not an exaggeration, but he poured countless tens of millions into the local mafia. Maradona was not a Saint, he was arrogant, greedy and a criminal.
Go play with yourself in private.

Never get tired of watching this goal! Love the Spanish commentary! Say what you want about his off field antics but Maradonna always made his feet do the talking and sometimes his hands (sorry English fans had to add that in) :)

R.I.P Legend!

Lets not forget the city of Napoli too what he done for the the people of Naples and the south of Italy he pretty much made Napoli the center of the world for seven years! Won them two scudettos they so desperately craved always being denied by their northern brothers. But it was Maradonna who delivered it to them! As a lasting tribute the city will rename their stadium to the Diego Maradonna stadium.

This goal against Juventus Wow! the technique to do that around the wall :oops: The moment Napoli fans knew Diego will take them to where they never had been before! To the Top!

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the 80’s. I had just started uni, I was full on playing club football and Maradona was playing his best football at Napoli. The Serie A was the best league in the world at the time with the worlds best players going there. Football coverage wasn’t what it is today so we had to rely on SBS highlights however that all changed when SBS (god bless Les Murray) started televising live games from Italy ever Sunday at midnight.
Well I could tell you for me and my mates all soccer nuts those 2 hours every Sunday we’re better than sex, well almost. The world outside could be on fire, we didn’t care because nothing else mattered for those 2 hours. Watching Maradona brought us so much joy. For me and my mates no other player comes even close to him. I felt a real sadness and shock when I heard the news because Maradona played a huge part in my life during a fantastic period of my life. So sad.
RIP Diego Maradona

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back