Vale Dusty Hill - ZZ Top

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill’s passing is a sobering reminder of how the blues foundation of rock’n’roll is rapidly fading. He came from a generation that rejected the race-based sanitation of pop music, instead fully embracing the earthy electric blues of pioneers such as John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters.

Thank you Dusty for the music for working people cutting loose after the week’s work is done.

Good band.

It's pretty impressive how they managed to merge new wave stylings (synths) with their existing blues-rock sound to create a commercial phenomenon in the 1980s, given that in the 1970s they were very much a bawdy blues-rock band.

Their contemporaries either completely failed to manage the transition (Bad Company), sacrificed their rock elements before burning themselves out (J. Geils Band), or struggled for years to adapt (Aerosmith), but ZZ Top pretty much did it seamlessly and managed to remain relevant well into the 1990s. In that regard, they stand out.

RIP.

Their original line-up remained intact for 51 years. Surely that is some sort of record. Would definitely have to be the longest running trio.

I love all their stuff up to and including Eliminator. The mid 80s was a strange time and those albums were very much a product of that era in terms of production and overall sound. They experienced somewhat of a renaissance in the late 90s through to the present day.

Anyone a bit unaware of their power and tightness as a straight up blues/rock outfit needs to watch their Rockpalast 1980 concert. It really doesn't get any better.

Of course, Dusty was the iconic voice behind Tush.

Speaking of which, my 5 favourite ZZ Top songs:
1) Tush
2) Sharp Dressed Man
3) La Grange
4) Gimme All Your Lovin'
5) Legs

Very sad to hear about Dusty, I have all of the ZZ Top albums up to Recycler, I discovered them through their early 80's Rock/Blues songs like Legs and Sharp Dressed Man, but I also enjoy their earlier southern Blues songs like La Grange and El Diablo.

RIP Dusty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back