VALE Eddie Van Halen

Remove this Banner Ad

Joey JoJo Shabad

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Eddie Van Halen, considered one of rock music's greatest guitar players and a founding member of the hugely successful rock band named after him and his drummer brother, died of cancer on Tuesday, his son said on Twitter. He was 65.

"I can't believe I'm having to write this but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning," Wolfgang Van Halen, a bass player who played with his father in the band, said in the tweet.

One of the greatest guitarists of our time.

He was very unique as a player. Really changed the way people approached the instrument after VH1 came out and influenced a whole generation of guitarists.

There was a documentary series a few years ago about he evolution of heavy metal music. Van Halen featured in one of the episodes and they said that back in the 70s, David Lee Roth would tell Eddie to turn his back to the audience because it was full of other guitarists watching him to see what he was doing and I guess DLR wanted the unique sound for them.

Man, 2020 has been some depressing year, huh?

I knew he had problems for a while, but this is still terrible news.

Needless to say, a revolutionary guitarist who brought pull-offs and hammer-ons into the conscious of millions of aspiring guitarists.

I would say the DLR era is my favourite, because EVH seemed to be at his creative and songwriting peak then. That said, Hagar's soaring vocals made highlights of a few songs in his oeuvre (Dreams, Right Now, Why Can't This Be Love, Runaround).

The song I'm listening to now:

RIP, One of my favourite musicians.

There's not much I need to add about him as a guitarist that hasn't already been said but as I've gotten older i've really appreciated the stuff he did with Hagar and the way he reinvented the bands sound is something only the all time greats can do.

Last edited:
One of two reasons I play guitar. The man was a legend and undoubtedly the most influential guitarists of our generation. Only recently been listening a lot to "Van Halen", "Women and Children First", and "Fair Warning". So much gold on those albums! Really feels like a piece of me has died along with Eddie. Vale legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to hear about his passing was a one of the greats. Push comes to shove is personally one of my favourites. I also heard Billy Corgan had the most trouble learning this guitar solo.

Also just remembered he played that electrifying solo on beat it. Shows you how big he was when the king of pop calls for your duties.

One more thing I was a big Queen fan when I grew up. When I heard 'starfleet' by Brian May I always thought it sounded like top jimmy then I realised eddie did play guitars on brians starfleet project.

Eddie's death was mentioned on the ABC Classical Radio station this morning.
Eddie's parents, who had musical tastes in the classical field, gave Eddie the middle name Lodewijk in tribute to Beethoven's Christian name. Eddie kept this family tradition going my naming his son Wolfgang, after Mozart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back