News Vale Frank Costa

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
:oops: Jeez...that's such awful news. Quintessential part of everything we built in recent memory, and will never be forgotten.

RIP Frank Costa.

Condolences to the family, friends and Geelong Football Club

He did amazing work for your club and the AFL in general and I’m sure his efforts will never be forgotten

Vale Frank Costa

Phill Hendo

Debutant
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Sad day. Condolences to the Costa family. Frank's outstanding work at the club and also his own very significant financial contribution when it was needed most saved the club. Was the driving force that brought Brain Cook and Mark Thompson to the club. Used if considerable influence to get the Kardinia Park redevelopment started. I am quite sure that without Frank, Geelong would not be an AFL club today.

As a life long Cat fan, I just want to say, Thanks Frank.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn't know him at all but just have a feeling of loss.

There was a time I thought I'd never see a premiership. He was a major part of bringing us 3 and turning us into a top club. Thanks for that, Frank, and everything you did for the club and City.

Travel well.

3uPmD68.jpg

FRANK Costa was afforded one last honour in his final days, with the long-serving Geelong president becoming the first non-player in the club’s history to be elevated to Legend status in the Cats’ Hall of Fame.

Costa, who served in the role from 1998-2010, along with CEO Brian Cook, saved the club from extinction, died on Sunday morning at the age of 83 following a battle with illness.

“Frank was a legend as a person and a legend of the club,” CEO Brian Cook said.

“He forged so many strong and lasting relationships through his warmth and authenticity.

“He will be missed by all that have been fortunate enough to know and love him.

“Our thoughts are with Shirley and the entire Costa family.”

No understatement to say without Frank the club would be right now:

Only 40,000 members
Playing all home games at Marvel Stadium

Legend status was the easiest call of all for the club.

Didn't know him at all but just have a feeling of loss.

There was a time I thought I'd never see a premiership. He was a major part of bringing us 3 and turning us into a top club. Thanks for that, Frank, and everything you did for the club and City.

Travel well.

3uPmD68.jpg

I felt the same this morning; didn't personally know the man but been supporting the club long enough to know what he did for the GFC and was really sad and as you said, a sense of loss upon reading the news

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
A giant of the Geelong Football club. A legacy of strength, leadesrhip, courage and determination. Vale Frank Costa.

Gordon Farkas

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it over the top to suggest we should have some sort of permanent tribute to Frank somewhere, possibly his initials on the jumper like some NFL teams do? Seems like a subtle but lasting tribute to his achievements and his legacy.

Seriously, the man deserves a statue out the front of Kardinia Park, like the one of Ted Whitten at Footscray, or Matt Busby at Old Trafford. Re-name the place Costa Park as well while we’re at it. A Great Man and a Great Australian.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams
Seriously, the man deserves a statue out the front of Kardinia Park, like the one of Ted Whitten at Footscray, or Matt Busby at Old Trafford. Re-name the place Costa Park as well while we’re at it. A Great Man and a Great Australian.

Costa, Cook, Wells, Bomber all deserve statues at some time imo.

All 4 were huge in us turning from Fitzroy 2.0 to the powerhouse we are today.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Vale Frank, the very epitome of a life well lived.
I rocked up to Frank's office once, looking for some apples to be donated to our Theatre company for opening night (the play featured apples)

Thought I would just see an underling, but I was ushered in to see him, and he asked how many apples we needed if we covered every performance.
It was 640! No problem-let's make it a pallet. What a wonderful kind person he was, to people from all walks of life.

I didn't even have to tell him he was married to my Mum's cousin Shirley (after all, this is Geelong)
Rest easy Frank.

Back