Vale Gabo

Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Recent very sad news of the passing of Big Ray Gabelich, well known for THAT run at the 'G'.

Putting aside all footy bias, always sad to lose one of the icons who has been part of the game since I was a tacker.
Onya Gabo and go for a quick run towards the goals in heaven.

Condolences to his family and his fans.

R.I.P

I am old enough to have seen Gabo play in his last year 1966. All I remember is that he was pretty big guy, but more of a gentle giant. Wayne Richardson told the story last night that Gabo was having weight problems in 66 and Bobby Rose had played him in the 2nds for a few games, and had said to him if he could get his weight dwon from 23 stone to 21 stone he could play! Of course he played in the 1966 GF.

My other memory of Gabo is at Vic Park, Rd 10 1970 v St. Kilda. This was the greatest comeback ever from a half time deficit before Hawthorn's St.Kilda comeback last year. We were about 55 pts down at half time and ended up winning by 7 pts. As we were leaving the Sherrin Stand you could imagine all the supporters were pumped and I looked next to me and saw Gabo with his friends and he was punching the air. Everyone around him went up another cog when they saw him doing that and pretty soon we were all doing it and about four or five guys started chanting GABO GABO GABO! it was a magical moment and it brought a tear to my eye last night recalling that moment when I heard the news.

RIP BEAR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back