Vale Garry Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously what's going on everyone dying of cancer?
Genetically modified food? its just to prevalent these days something's changed. Sad to hear.

Genetically modified food? its just to prevalent these days something's changed. Sad to hear.

Radiation from Electronics maybe.

Vale to to Garry Sidebottom, I wonder if there will be some flowers placed at the Bus pick up point today.

Not sure what type of cancer the man suffered from .. but its a rare family that has not been touched... its unfortunate that we focus purely on one type of cancer in the pink round as there are so many deaths across so many versions.

RIP and all the best to his family

RIP. I saw him take one of the greatest marks I have ever seen when he played for us. It was in a Reserves (in those days) Grand Final I think (one of the GFs when we won 3 seconds flags in a row??). Was up on someones shoulders and reached out with one hand and grabbed the ball and pulled it to his chest. It was up there with Gary Senior's over Pert, but Sidebottom held on to it! ;)

I was fortunate enough to be invited to train with St Kilda under Jesaulenko in the early part of season 1980...My memory tells me Sidebottom was Captain ..

Be that as it may, Sidey was a real lair....laughing and mucking up at training...particularly during the 400's we had to run after training in the Morrabin mud....but in general training...well....he could play....no doubt about it.

Never really got to know him...and he was no inspiration...but he was a major memory of my time there....never had a frown on his face...

I hope he didn't suffer too much.....RIP ....

Colourful stint. Left behind on PF day and hit with a full can playing for St Kilda at Moorabbin against the 'Awks.

Sidebottom entered football folklore when he missed the Geelong team bus to play in the 1981 Preliminary Final against Collingwood due to a breakdown in communications. His team-mate Peter Johnston took his place at the last minute, despite being told earlier he had not been selected, and went on to play despite having half a chicken and a bucket of chips along with a strawberry thickshake for lunch, and having smoked half a pack of Winfield Blue cigarettes on the way to VFL Park.

R.I.P.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to train with St Kilda under Jesaulenko in the early part of season 1980...My memory tells me Sidebottom was Captain ..

Be that as it may, Sidey was a real lair....laughing and mucking up at training...particularly during the 400's we had to run after training in the Morrabin mud....but in general training...well....he could play....no doubt about it.

Never really got to know him...and he was no inspiration...but he was a major memory of my time there....never had a frown on his face...

I hope he didn't suffer too much.....RIP ....
A week really is a long time in footy. ;)

RIP. I saw him take one of the greatest marks I have ever seen when he played for us. It was in a Reserves (in those days) Grand Final I think (one of the GFs when we won 3 seconds flags in a row??). Was up on someones shoulders and reached out with one hand and grabbed the ball and pulled it to his chest. It was up there with Gary Senior's over Pert, but Sidebottom held on to it! ;)

When I think of Sidey I always recall what I think was his first match for us, in a night pre-season game at VFL Park where he took a juggling one handed mark in the goal square holding his opponent off with his other hand/arm. He was considered the great forward hope for us in a period where our backline was a force but we struggled to kick goals and never really had a gun forward focal point. Terry Bright being the best of our forward options from those 1980-81 years.

Living longer so more chance of developing. Apply occams razor and it becomes very simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back