Vale George Michael

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, another giant of the 80/90s music scene is gone.

He had his issues and wasn't everyone's cup of tea but yhere was no denying his talent.

As someone only a few years younger than him I have enjoyed his music from the beginning.

Goodbye Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou thanks for the music.

He was a terrific, soulful vocalist, even when doing lighter stuff like WHAM.

He had a troubled life so unfortunately I'm not surprised that he passed on before his time.

RIP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Utter devastation. I can't remember being this affected by a celebrity passing before. All of my innocent heart, young love, my happy dance and closeted shoulder to cry on late at night, is in George Michael's music. Save a few Wham duds here and there, his discography is practically flawless, greatest hits through and through right up to the recent-ish White Light. His first three albums in particular are desert island for me. I've got multiple memories and experiences associated with each GM song and have watched his music videos at least 30 times each (the GH DVD used to be a perennial cheer-up "coffee icecream" thingy for me). A world without George is a loss of innocence for me. I've even avoided the news (including circumstances), just retreated to my room and listened to his music constantly all day long, every breath he recorded, again and again. I was devastated when his late 2012 shows were cancelled, and have been worried for him for years, but seeing "Star dies" on the news breaking with a pic of George in his prime killed a part of me today. What a boxing day bummer.

So so shtty that 2016 saved its worst for last. I loved, even adored, Bowie, Cohen, Prince, Jon Polito, Phife Dawg, etc. and Kiarostami was one of my biggest losses of the year (another strong influence in my formative years), but George Michael is a big chunk of my heart that was central to my teen and young adult years, a constant companion, the one and only George. Only 12 months ago "You Have Been Loved" played a central role in my deceased baby brother's chapel service, so that song was already laced with potency for me as it is.

Last edited:
Utter devastation. I can't remember being this affected by a celebrity passing before. All of my innocent heart, young love, my happy dance and closeted shoulder to cry on late at night, is in George Michael's music. Save a few Wham duds here and there, his discography is practically flawless, greatest hits through and through right up to the recent-ish White Light. His first three albums in particular are desert island for me. I've got multiple memories and experiences associated with each GM song and have watched his music videos at least 30 times each (the GH DVD used to be a perennial cheer-up "coffee icecream" thingy for me). A world without George is a loss of innocence for me. I've even avoided the news (including circumstances), just retreated to my room and listened to his music constantly all day long, every breath he recorded, again and again. I was devastated when his late 2012 shows were cancelled, and have been worried for him for years, but seeing "Star dies" on the news breaking with a pic of George in his prime killed a part of me today. What a boxing day bummer.

So so shtty that 2016 saved its worst for last. I loved, even adored, Bowie, Cohen, Prince, Phife Dawg, etc. and Kiarostami was one of my biggest losses of the year (another strong influence in my formative years), but George Michael is a big chunk of my heart, the one and only George.

Same, I havent watched a lot of the news covering GM's death, I tried to watch CNN's coverage earlier but Id rather listen to his music. Sad day, indeed.

Same, I havent watched a lot of the news covering GM's death, I tried to watch CNN's coverage earlier but Id rather listen to his music. Sad day, indeed.
It really did the trick as well. After 2 hours of misery, I had a massive playlist cranking the last couple hours and it was incredibly moving journeying back through the years of one's relationship to George's music. Will try and steer clear of the news for the next few days.

It really did the trick as well. After 2 hours of misery, I had a massive playlist cranking the last couple hours and it was incredibly moving journeying back through the years of one's relationship to George's music. Will try and steer clear of the news for the next few days.

CNN started talking about his arrests and personal life so I just switched off. I am more interested in his music, I wish I had the chance to see him live that voice was just perfect.

I will always remember his performance with Queen, Somebody to love.

GM was recently working on a documentary, I think they are going to release it next year?

I completely forgot about this duet

Some stories surfacing about his character - giving money to strangers, working anonymously at a homeless shelter, allowing free entry for nurses to shows etc. I am not a fan of his music so forgive me if this was common knowledge. Anyhow, a cynic may say that is easy to do when you have so much money but remember, there are many people who can afford that $5 for the charity on the corner but refuse to give. My read of the bloke is that he just wanted to blend in with society and go about his thing. It's sad to see someone like him die at such an early age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back