Vale Gordon Lightfoot

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO, Canada’s greatest songwriter (Neil Young fans may disagree - but anyway, Lightfoot always resided in Canada, whereas Young has lived in the U.S. for the last 56 years since 1967), Gordon Lightfoot has been one of only 2 Canadians (so far) featured in the country music potted history series (see posts # 696 - 702). As well as the two great songs already posted above, here’s 2 more - the first ‘Ribbon Of Darkness’ first brought him to prominence beyond Canada when Marty Robbins took it to # 1 in 1965, but here’s Lightfoot’s version -

The second ‘Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald’, was based on an actual event the year prior and is magnificent songwriting -

IMO, Canada’s greatest songwriter (Neil Young fans may disagree - but anyway, Lightfoot always resided in Canada, whereas Young has lived in the U.S. for the last 56 years since 1967), Gordon Lightfoot has been one of only 2 Canadians (so far) featured in the country music potted history series (see posts # 696 - 702). As well as the two great songs already posted above, here’s 2 more - the first ‘Ribbon Of Darkness’ first brought him to prominence beyond Canada when Marty Robbins took it to # 1 in 1965, but here’s Lightfoot’s version -

The second ‘Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald’, was based on an actual event the year prior and is magnificent songwriting -

Loved his voice and songs.
All my relatives come from the north shore of Lake Superior so when the Edmund Fitzgerald song came out, it really hit a chord.

Loved his voice and songs.
All my relatives come from the north shore of Lake Superior so when the Edmund Fitzgerald song came out, it really hit a chord.
It really is a gr8 song, I listened to the end which is an accolade of sorts from me

It really is a gr8 song, I listened to the end which is an accolade of sorts from me
Gitcheegoomee is a word I've literally been hearing all my life. I've swum in it, not long for long mind you. ;) Made the local wild forest lakes feel tepid by comparison. We always watched the big iron ore boats go out under the Duluth bridge, big ass boats.
It is a vast, brooding sea which brews up weather systems at anytime. I lost a cousin kayaking along the shore. One way or another everyone who lives up there's life if affected by Superior.
There's a haunting tone in the opening riff that does hearken back to the region.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back