Vale Gough Whitlam former Cat#1 member

Remove this Banner Ad

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Just thought I would mention the late E.G. Whitlam was #1GFC member in the early-mid 70's, I don't think he was particularly interested in footy, but when he decided to be seen to support a club it was us. I remember seeing him towering over Polly, our coach at the time. Gough could have been a ruckman in his young day.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
found it

Just thought I would mention the late E.G. Whitlam was #1GFC member in the early-mid 70's, I don't think he was particularly interested in footy, but when he decided to be seen to support a club it was us. I remember seeing him towering over Polly, our coach at the time. Gough could have been a ruckman in his young day.
Never knew that.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HoopsAhoy

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Was he irregularly dismissed at the end of the 1975 season, perchance?
Nah his whole team got dropped. Although he was surrounded by quite a few no-hopers on his team who should have been delisted. One wonders who the talent scout/recruiting man was who picked them at the draft. :rolleyes:

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Nah his whole team got dropped. Although he was surrounded by quite a few no-hopers on his team who should have been delisted. One wonders who the talent scout/recruiting man was who picked them at the draft. :rolleyes:

I saw that picture last night on BayFM's facebook page and thought i'd claim it as my avatar. Possibly a a little like Paul Keating being the Pies #1 ticketholder in the mid 90's i think, but in any case seeing Whitlam and Geelong legend Polly Farmer in the same picture, i thought it poignant.

Rather ironically both men's tenures as leaders of their respective clubs/govenments started and ended at roughly the same time, as Farmer was coach from 1973-75, adding a bit of symmetry to the picture.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Some might also not know but in the early 60's a young trade union lawyer named Hawke ran for a seat in Corio (I think) 1963 Federal Election he lost but his young son was taken with the Cats and became a life-long Cat supporter. Later as an adult Steve Hawke wrote the biography of the great Polly Farmer, a good read if anyone is interested. Thanks Steve and all the best to you mate.

I changed my mind , just another political tart....:cry:

Nah...great man...but he was first and foremost a politician, and politicians (supposedly) have to do the baby kissing etc. stuff.

At least when he got into office he did act on his vision. Some of which was great (social/education) and some of which were a shambles (economic).

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Nah...great man...but he was first and foremost a politician, and politicians (supposedly) have to do the baby kissing etc. stuff.

At least when he got into office he did act on his vision. Some of which was great (social/education) and some of which were a shambles (economic).

Yep, I was just kidding. He was a great man (and a great political tart!)

leorex

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
did not know that
thanks for the post

question has to be asked now is why the GFC does not make an official statement
too close to an election or they in the club's media department started their holidays

Back