Vale Graham "Polly" Farmer (10.3.1935 - 14.8.2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately I never got to see him play, but his list of achievements and highlights would be the envy of all, whether you played or not.

A genuine legend. RIP Mr. Farmer

Ah okay, didn't realize that. I wasn't aware he had been ill, I realize he had some financial problems in the past few years, but not health wise.
Hopefully he is now at peace.

Did you ever wqtch him play, he was before my time, but old time footy fans have told me he was a real game changer and an All time Great

Lived in the same street, was selling Vanguards (a car of the 50s), my brother & I waved to him as he was going home, he squirted us with the garden hose when we walked to the beach ... were only kids from up the street, but he was friendly & we loved it, everyone knew Polly, you didnt have to follow East Perth, we didnt.
Saw him play often, the East Perth side of the mid to late 50s was a power house, handballing to Kevin McGill was the forerunner of the Farmer/Goggin era of the 60s.

Can recommend the book by Stephen Hawke, its on my book shelf:
;)

Wrong time to challenge your earlier remark of Polly & Nick.
His boys Brett & Dean played WAFL footy.

I watched a lot of Polly's games for the Cats and a few interstate games. He remains the best ruckman I have seen. People rightly point to his use of handball changing the game but he was also a clever and accurate kick. He also had wonderful visions and footy IQ.

He also remains a peerless palmer of the ball to his rovers.

People will rattle on about his battles with Nichols. They were really no contest other than the latter would try every filthy trick against him.

Has sadly passed away aged 84 today

Career highlights

Club
5× WAFL Premiership: 1956, 1958, 1959, 1969, 1971
VFL Premiership: 1963
3× Sandover Medal: 1956, 1957, 1960
7× East Perth Best and Fairest: 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961
2× Geelong Best and Fairest: 1963, 1964
West Perth Best and Fairest: 1969
2× Simpson Medal (Grand Final): 1959, 1969
Geelong Team of the Century
West Perth Team of the Century
East Perth Post War Team of the Century

Representative
Tassie Medal: 1956
National Football Carnival Championship: 1961
3× All Australian: 1956, 1958, 1961
2× Simpson Medal (Interstate): 1956, 1961

Overall
Australian Football Hall of Fame – Legend Status – (Inaugural Legend)
AFL Team of the Century
Western Australian Team of the Century – (Vice-Captain)
Indigenous Team of the Century – (Captain)
10 time club best and fairest!? Who does that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the power of a legend is that you could never have seen them play or heard them speak and yet the mere mention of their name has a presence about it.

Polly Farmer is up there with any of the greats of Aussie Rules in that sense, as well as the likes of Bradman.

RIP to a genuine champion.

In bold print, "AFL Legend Passes Away".

The best footy product from WA that I have ever seen, revolutionised the game with his handball distribution.

Will be forever remembered for his humble presence (no tickets on me, I remember where I came from), footy skills and the beautiful Polly Pipe (Graham Farmer Freeway).

A proud product of Sister Kates.

RIP Polly.

No other player in the history of our game had such a direct impact with a change on how the game was played.

Farmer had his own idea what a ruckman’s role was in an Australian Rules Football match and went about it with supreme focus and an attacking mindset.

An amazing career. A wonderful footy story starting in his childhood.

Do yourself a favour and read a good biography of him.

An immortal of the game.

Forever etched in history as one of the true greats.

Last edited:
Lived in the same street, was selling Vanguards (a car of the 50s), my brother & I waved to him as he was going home, he squirted us with the garden hose when we walked to the beach ... were only kids from up the street, but he was friendly & we loved it, everyone knew Polly, you didnt have to follow East Perth, we didnt.
Saw him play often, the East Perth side of the mid to late 50s was a power house, handballing to Kevin McGill was the forerunner of the Farmer/Goggin era of the 60s.

Can recommend the book by Stephen Hawke, its on my book shelf:
;)

Wrong time to challenge your earlier remark of Polly & Nick.
His boys Brett & Dean played WAFL footy.
Thanks for the heads up Stephen, I'll check it out.

Legend of the game, his two sons were handy players but had a helluva lot to live up to.
One played for West Perth (Brett) and Dean for Claremont iirc.

RIP Polly, true legend of the game and his people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back