Vale Herb Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh no. Had a long life though, was still in good health last I heard a couple of year ago.

Vale Herb, one of, if not our greatest, full backs.

573768ee96ff29267ac535dd53592627cabe9c5b.jpg

I was fortunate to have interviewed Herb in the lead-up to the 2016 AFL Grand Final about his memories of playing in the 1954 flag. I recall his wit even for a person of his age then. He was one of a few who could say he got the measure of John Coleman - even though he happily admitted he kept a print of Coleman standing on his shoulders taking a big mark.

Vale

I had the great pleasure of meeting Herb at one of the club's "Footy Show" evenings during one of my visits to Melbourne around 20 years ago. He gave me an autographed photo that he had brought with him. A true gentleman and champion of the club. Memory eternal.

I was fortunate to have interviewed Herb in the lead-up to the 2016 AFL Grand Final about his memories of playing in the 1954 flag. I recall his wit even for a person of his age then. He was one of a few who could say he got the measure of John Coleman - even though he happily admitted he kept a print of Coleman standing on his shoulders taking a big mark.

Vale
Can’t find the quote but I am sure John Coleman said Herb was the best opponent he played against. Anyone can confirm?
RIP Herb Henderson

Can’t find the quote but I am sure John Coleman said Herb was the best opponent he played against. Anyone can confirm?
RIP Herb Henderson
I’ve read something similar too. I think statistically he is one of Coleman’s most effective opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Melbourne and Footscray approached the teenager to make the move to the big smoke for big time football. The Bulldogs won out thanks to the then secretary Roy Russell.

“I was an apprentice at a shoe factory that closed,” he said. “Roy said his brother-in-law had a business where I could finish my apprenticeship. I would never have gone down just for football. I would never have thought I was good enough.”

- Excerpt from ‘Sons of the ‘scary - Footscray’s Finest 50’.

“Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Melbourne and Footscray approached the teenager to make the move to the big smoke for big time football. The Bulldogs won out thanks to the then secretary Roy Russell.

“I was an apprentice at a shoe factory that closed,” he said. “Roy said his brother-in-law had a business where I could finish my apprenticeship. I would never have gone down just for football. I would never have thought I was good enough.”

- Excerpt from ‘Sons of the ‘scary - Footscray’s Finest 50’.
That’s interesting. I read somewhere else this week (probably on BF or a posted link) that he arrived at Flinders St station (Spencer St?) intent on joining Richmond but some Footscray officials got to him first and talked him into going out to the WO.

I guess both stories could be true.

That’s interesting. I read somewhere else this week (probably on BF or a posted link) that he arrived at Flinders St station (Spencer St?) intent on joining Richmond but some Footscray officials got to him first and talked him into going out to the WO.

I guess both stories could be true.

I do note that he says “Roy said”, a conversation which could very well have occurred at a train station, although he seems to be saying the deal was struck before he set off for Melbourne.

The train station story actually gets a run in ‘Unleashed - A History of the Footscray Football Club’:

“Herb Henderson had won a reputation playing for Mildura Imperials and, while several teams chased him, he caught the train from Mildura in early 1950 to try out with Richmond.

Footscray officials learned that they were about to miss out on a champion and, in a last-ditch effort, Clarrie Shields and Roy Russell set off for North Melbourne station. As the Mildura train pulled in — it’s last stop before Spencer Street — Roy jumped onboard and walked through the carriages shouting out for Herb Henderson. A young, gangly boy stood up, and Roy told him to grab his footy bags and get off.

When the train reached Spencer Street, Richmond officials hunted up and down the platforms looking for their star. By then Herb Henderson was out at the Western Oval, pulling his boots and jumper out of a potato sack for his league trial.”

Pointedly, there’s no footnote attributing that yarn in the book.

I do note that he says “Roy said”, a conversation which could very well have occurred at a train station, although he seems to be saying the deal was struck before he set off for Melbourne.

The train station story actually gets a run in ‘Unleashed - A History of the Footscray Football Club’:

“Herb Henderson had won a reputation playing for Mildura Imperials and, while several teams chased him, he caught the train from Mildura in early 1950 to try out with Richmond.

Footscray officials learned that they were about to miss out on a champion and, in a last-ditch effort, Clarrie Shields and Roy Russell set off for North Melbourne station. As the Mildura train pulled in — it’s last stop before Spencer Street — Roy jumped onboard and walked through the carriages shouting out for Herb Henderson. A young, gangly boy stood up, and Roy told him to grab his footy bags and get off.

When the train reached Spencer Street, Richmond officials hunted up and down the platforms looking for their star. By then Herb Henderson was out at the Western Oval, pulling his boots and jumper out of a potato sack for his league trial.”

Pointedly, there’s no footnote attributing that yarn in the book.
The pre-draft, pre-zoning days were like the Wild West. There are so many colourful stories of subterfuge and even outright treachery. We didn’t always feature on the winning side of those episodes either.

is there anyone who lives near VUWO who wants to do us all a favour?

Drop in a box of black tape marked to the attention of Ameet Bains with a note saying “looks like you ran out of black tape - here’s some more, so the boys can pay proper respect to club legend Herb H on the weekend”.

Even a few rolls of black PVC tape from the local Two-Dollar store would get the message across. I’m happy to reimburse the cost if that’s an issue.

Hopefully he’ll take it on board.

Drop in a box of black tape marked to the attention of Ameet Bains with a note saying “looks like you ran out of black tape - here’s some more, so the boys can pay proper respect to club legend Herb H on the weekend”.

Even a few rolls of black PVC tape from the local Two-Dollar store would get the message across. I’m happy to reimburse the cost if that’s an issue.

I'm two hours away, but tbh I'm that annoyed that I'd I didn't have work commitments dogwatch, I'd run the errand.

I can not believe, for a home game, with many past players in attendance, and with SIX DAYS since Herb passed away, they couldn't organise not just the black armbands, but a prematch tribute. I reckon my teenage daughter could have thrown together a video/photo tribute.

There's even colour Herb in the 54 GF highlights:

Plus the recently discovered "Coleman" film:

And plenty of photos of him in action or posed:

images (20).jpeg

images (21).jpeg

images (22).jpeg

And I'm sure the club has these and more in original copies and digitised.

There's (allegedly) a media team.

How hard can it be?

I'm two hours away, but tbh I'm that annoyed that I'd I didn't have work commitments dogwatch, I'd run the errand.

I can not believe, for a home game, with many past players in attendance, and with SIX DAYS since Herb passed away, they couldn't organise not just the black armbands, but a prematch tribute. I reckon my teenage daughter could have thrown together a video/photo tribute.

There's even colour Herb in the 54 GF highlights:

Plus the recently discovered "Coleman" film:

And plenty of photos of him in action or posed:

View attachment 1470618

View attachment 1470619

View attachment 1470620

And I'm sure the club has these and more in original copies and digitised.

There's (allegedly) a media team.

How hard can it be?

Has anyone contacted the club via social media? That’s apparently how you get things done these days. Failing that, I will go to Whitten Oval after work tomorrow and drop off the tape.

Has anyone contacted the club via social media? That’s apparently how you get things done these days. Failing that, I will go to Whitten Oval after work tomorrow and drop off the tape.
As far as I am aware Mantis, all the club posted on FB was a few paragraphs and the same Whitten/Sutton/Henderson photo I posted above.
Game was on 6 August. They had the whole week.
In the same period, they posted:
  • multiple Sam Darcy posts (understandable)
  • a ton of retro round posts of current players, past players, the 97 game at VUWO, photos from the 90s
  • Daniel game #150 (also understandable)

But they couldn't recognise, at a home game, along with peak Brian Lake, probably the best full back the club has ever produced

Several people have also commented about no recognition of Herb on a FB post after Saturday's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back