Vale Herb Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

That is correct, only 5 of our 1954 premiership team are still with us and we'd certainly hear if anything had happened to Angus Abbey or Jim Miller.

As for Billy Leahy, not much is known. He trained with us over the 1934 pre-season and played in a few practice matches...

View attachment 1472562

View attachment 1472563

Made his debut in R2 as the 19th man but came on in the third quarter after Ken Lockart broke his collarbone...

View attachment 1472564

Incidentally, a strange/sad thing happened over at Princes Park on the same day...

View attachment 1472566

As for where Leahy ended up is largely a mystery, hence why he's one of the older players that the AFL is still after a DOD for. There is some suspicion that he moved interstate.
Hi Olivier

Billy "William" Leahy was my Grand Father ... I there are a few edit's I am happy to share with you on this thread Re; Death, date etc

Hi Olivier

Billy "William" Leahy was my Grand Father ... I there are a few edit's I am happy to share with you on this thread Re; Death, date etc

Hi there - I can answer the above thread with regards to my Grandfather -this info above is incorrect.

That would be greatly appreciated if you could indeed help fill in the blanks as this is a mystery that both the club and AFL have been wanting to solve for a very long time. Any info on DOB/DOD as well as middle names and place of birth would be greatly appreciated.

AFL records indicate that the William "Billy" Leahly who played for Coburg/Footscray was born on 07/03/1911 likely in Victoria but this could very well be wrong as we are constantly updating player records from that era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back