Toast Vale John Bingley

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive a Carlton supporter's intrusion, but I am a native Tasmanian who remembers John Bingley as a Tasmanian football legend. I particularly remember him kicking the winning goal for Tassie against Western Australia in our famous win in Hobart in 1970.

He had only the 8 games in a disrupted St Kilda career, but he played in the most memorable and celebrated game in the club's history. A great article from Russell Holmesby here:

His record in Tasmanian football is absolutely outstanding. I read somewhere that he is only one of two players ever to represent the NWFU, NTFA, TFL (as the three associations were until the 80s), play for the state and also play VFL football.

RIP to a champion.

Such sad news, and a damn shame when another premiership player passes. We don't have many left, think it's time the boys salute for these older legends of the club.

RIP

Such sad news, and a damn shame when another premiership player passes. We don't have many left, think it's time the boys salute for these older legends of the club.

RIP

Our immortals are disappearing one by one.

We do need to win another Flag soon. Itā€™s time to pass the baton and for our heroes to be able to see it happen.

Itā€™s why I love the ruthlessness of the club ATM. Club first, individuals second. Itā€™s time this club got it done. Itā€™s been far too long.

John Bingley only played 8 games for St Kilda, but these included important roles in the successful 1966 PF and GF wins.

John played a brief but crucial role in the history of our club. His timing was impeccable. The stopping role John played on Tuddy in the GF was as good as anyone could muster.

RIP John.

worked with a guy in the 1980's that knew the bingley family,i remember him mentioning he was wheelchair bound back then,8 down now plus the coach,RIP

Travelling to Canberra today we called in to a little pie shop at Yarck. Started talking to a wonderful lady who turned out to be Johnā€™s sister. 92 and as well as being Sainters we both grew up in Launceston. Small world. Had a great chat over pies and coffee, passed on our condolence's and left with a Go Saints. Funeral is Feb 2 in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back