Vale, John Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Kanga

He’s been in the media only weeks ago re Legend status, and particularly around his coaching of our 90s stars.

On Sunday Night Hawthorn we’re going to honor him by wearing their V jumper in the game against us. Sad times. But how fitting its the week we play the hawks.

Josh also plays his 250th tonight too. Eery

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to put into words my feelings on Kanga. He started coaching North when I had just really started following football & barracking for North so he was the first coach I 'knew". He always struck me as the perfect grandfather (for my age) that you could ever want. Stern taskmaster & pushed you so hard but that was because he loved you and wanted you to wring every last bit of potential out of yourself so you could reach your best.
Seemed the absolute loveliest man in addition to being a master motivator.
Vale

A minute's silence before the game this week is a given.

Every premiership coach since 1966 either was Allan Jeans, Tom Hafey, Ron Barassi or John Kennedy OR a someone who played for one of them OR a someone who played for someone who did.

Four grandfathers of football coaching. And only one is left. ☹

A minute's silence before the game this week is a given.

Every premiership coach since 1966 either was Allan Jeans, Tom Hafey, Ron Barassi or John Kennedy OR a someone who played for one of them OR a someone who played for someone who did.

Four grandfathers of football coaching. And only one is left. ☹

Also, every grand final from 1965 - 1981, at least one of these four was coaching, and they shared every premiership but one from 1966 - 1977.

Many of my favourite footy memories come from that 85 season. The tie with the Hawks, smashing Essendon at VFL Park, smashing Collingwood at Vic Park and how can we forget "the required effort" of the 6 goal comeback to beat Carlton in the Elimination Final. Thanks for the memories Kanga

Can see 3 free kicks here would have won the game. Different game back then;

Will make for an interesting game this weekend. Teams tend to lift that extra 5-10% on occasions like this and he made a major contribution to both clubs over his 50+ years involvement in the game.

RIP John

A couple of my favorite Kennedy post match quotes when he was coaching us:

After getting dudded by the umpies in a game (quelle surprise!): "As a rule, I don't comment on the standard of umpiring after games and today I definitely won't be doing so."

When Clarko kicked the winner after the siren in his debut game: "I couldn't bring myself to watch the kick but I knew it'd gone through as the crowd roar was a North Melbourne sort of roar."

Maybe not verbatim but as good as I can recall 30 odd years and 30,000 odd beers later.

Last edited:
Many of my favourite footy memories come from that 85 season. The tie with the Hawks, smashing Essendon at VFL Park, smashing Collingwood at Vic Park and how can we forget "the required effort" of the 6 goal comeback to beat Carlton in the Elimination Final. Thanks for the memories Kanga

That elimination final against Carlton is one of my all time favourite memories of being an Ardent Roo.

My avatar is from that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back