Vale, John Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire on John Kennedy Senior: I couldn’t have had a better first coach. Never had a person come into the room and say as much as him. I spoke to John Kennedy today and it was family, faith and football. He was the ultimate person, a great human.

He really was the quintessential “man among men”, respected by all, and equally revered. My mid to late fanatical teen years following our club had the great man at the helm, and I’ll be forever grateful. Particularly so with the post game finals memories I have of him in the rooms, greeting players as they walked back in having given their absolute all. An incredible leader and influence on those who themselves were to become leaders.

RIP Kanga.

Last edited:
Kanga's son is indirectly the reason he agreed to come to North as coach. When Ron Joseph approached the Kennedys about the coaching job, Kanga said there was no way he could take it on as he was caring for his son full time along with his wife. He went on to admit that it was getting beyond the two of them. RJ went away and quietly found the best possible care for the son, made all arrangements, and then gave that to the Kennedys as a gift with no strings attached. Kanga says that he and his wife were so incredibly grateful for this act of kindness from RJ that he simply had to offer his services to coach the club.
Thanks for sharing!
Another reason why Ron Joseph should have a statue erected at Arden St.
what a club all time great he is

What does Vale mean. I have started seeing it used in recent times , never noticed it being used in the context of someone dying prior.

He was the first North coach I can remember, hopefully, both clubs do his name proud today (but North more so).

As a kid growing up I got to see the Barassi years and the Pagan years
People would assume they would be my favourite eras because North won flags
But it was actually the Kennedy years I enjoyed most because what I've always valued most in footy teams is knowing they are giving their everything, and I always knew the players were giving their everything in those years
Schimma, Keith Greig, Matty Larkin, the Krakouer Bros Inc
Great times wandering down to the G on a Friday night and watching the team always digging in and having a go even when they were outclassed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back