Vale John Madigan

Remove this Banner Ad

Swerving Irv

Senior List
Dec 2, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
He passed away today aged 54, after a short two year battle with cancer. One of the few good people to have served Victoria in a political position in recent years. Quiet, hard-working and humble.

Requiescat in pace John.

Always sad when this curse takes a life particularly at a relatively early age.

I do have a bit of an issue with those whose politics are driven by their religiosity though.
I have no doubt that John Madigan's religious principles guided him to be the honest and good man he was. I share similar beliefs to him.

I have no doubt that John Madigan's religious principles guided him to be the honest and good man he was. I share similar beliefs to him.
That’s the problem. From McManus forward you lot believe you have a right to tell the rest of us how to live our lives. Remove from women reproductive and birth control choices. Remove from all of us end of life decisions. Et al.

Live your lives the way you want, but get the phark out of the lives of the rest of us.

Oh! And Harradine was a pestilence.

You wouldn't even be able to tell me at what point life begins, jog on you miserable cretin.
So, despite it being a highly contested issue among people who actually possess the intellect and credentials to know you, applying your religiously addled mentality, know better.

Take your religious zealotry and need to force it on the rest of us and get the phark out of our lives you sanctimonious menace.

The whole rights of the unborn business is bollocks. For the "pro life" religious fundies abortion is about control over women and little else. Imagine how they'd react to a bunch of women telling them what they can and can't do with their bodies? Alongside the conservative NTTAWWTter I can think of fewer more self loathing creatures than the anti abortion female, they warrant pity.

Anothern anti-abortion single issue polly elected on preferences bite the dust. The DLP he was a member of really had no other purpose. Unlike the old days where they had two other purposes, A.) Keep the ALP out of power at all costs and B.) Try and turn the entire union movement in this country into a Catholic led lame duck arm of the Catholic fascist state their dear leader Bob Santamaria was desperate to establish.

In the end they succeeded with taking over the Clerk's Union, the Ironworker's and the Shoppie's union (which their political sons and daughters still run today as a Catholic fiefdom, albeit one with control of a multi multi multi billion dollar super fund.

But the 'unionists' of this tradition have nothing to do with the modern DLP/NCC, instead forming the core of the right faction of the Victorian ALP, which topically, Somyurek split from to form his own rival right faction.

So the DLP chugs along as it always has since Santamaria dumped it and their union operation in the early 80s to focus his energy on 'the culture wars', that is, as a directionless Catholic's only conservative party whose only real policies revolve around abortion, more funding for their schools and promotion of that 1920s Catholic economic policy created to rival progressive economic policy. Only issue is that the ideas underpinning distributism are clearly aimed at peasants in 20s and 30s Europe. Doesn't bother these clods. Madigan may have been a nice man, but it was an indictment on the system he was ever in parliament.

The most polite thing I can say about him is that he was loyal to the ideals of the Democratic Labor Party.

Nah. Even used them and their limited resources to get into parliament the gave them flick to sit as an independent.

Was funny seeing him being pitched as a traditional labor parliamentarian during his term, the kind you don't see any more etc etc. While it is true very few ALP MPs at any level have risen from the shop floor and Madigan was indeed a blacksmith, he was very much an sole trading rural blacksmith who'd usually be a Mcewenite National voter.

EDIT: Just realized you probably referring to their anti woman/ga/anything non catholic agenda, not their thin pro worker façade or attempts to claim themselves as the 'real' workers party

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole rights of the unborn business is bollocks. For the "pro life" religious fundies abortion is about control over women and little else. Imagine how they'd react to a bunch of women telling them what they can and can't do with their bodies? Alongside the conservative NTTAWWTter I can think of fewer more self loathing creatures than the anti abortion female, they warrant pity.
don't waste your time. he's a dead set turkey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back