Vale: Leonard Cohen

Great homage thread Horace. I remember when my sister brought "Songs of Leonard Cohen" home and I said "Geez that's not The Stones,Who or Led Zep!" but quickly fell in love with it and was a fan forever more. His use of,to me, unusual instruments such as Mandolin,Bouzouki and a range of percussion to go with his nylon string guitar changed me musically (I even learnt how to play mandolin reasonably well because of him.).
An album that hasn't been mentioned is "Death of a Ladies Man" ,canned by the critics but I really liked it. Made with "Wall of Sound" maestro and professional weirdo,Phil Spector, it was a very different sound for LC (album surely contains Zondor's favourite song- "Don't go home with your hard on").
It should be remembered too that in 2009 he played a concert at Hanging Rock and days later Black Saturday occurred and LC donated the proceeds of his concert to the bushfire appeal (I heard it was around $200k). A very good man in so many ways. Vale.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bit ashamed to admit that I know the cover versions of his songs better than the originals he did

Jeff Buckleys cover of "Hallelujah" and Straightjacket Fits version of "So long Marianne" spring immediately to mind

Great life story and will be missed

Back