Vale LIDGE

Remove this Banner Ad

I would also like to add my thoughts and prayers to Lidge, like many others in this thread have already done.

Although I never knew the man myself, and I obviously wasn't apart of what he did for the North Melbourne Football Club, I know all too well of the passion and love he felt for his beloved Kangaroos. He is still, 3 years after his untimely death, truely an inspirational man.

I too know what it is like to have such a passion for a football club, that it become a part of you. Not only metaphorically, but spiritually and emotionally.

I also know what it's like for that same passion to be threatened by financial insecurity. To have the unknowing feeling of will my club be alive in the future?

St. Kilda was borderline bankrupt by the end of 1986, and if not for a Save Our Saints campaign at Morrabbin Oval mid season to raise money, we would not have made it into 1987. Carlton tried to merge with us, take our players, our identity and our long and proud history. We kept fighting. The talk of relocation, mergers and folding altogether were persistent. And we kept on fighting. Everybody said we would "go to the wall". Yet we kept on fighting. And we eventually thrived financially. It took a hell of a long time to go from hitting rock bottom back in '86 to making a profit in 2009 and 2010 but we did it!

And so will North Melbourne. With the fighting shinboner example that Lidge displayed, not only will North Melbourne survive, you will thrive. It will take time, yes. You will experience heartbrake after heartbrake. But, in the end, you will thrive. The fighting spirit that Lidge displayed, much like that of St. Kilda supporters in the mid 1980's, is what will save the NMFC.

Just keep fighting. Keep Lidge's dream alive and well. Keep all of your dreams alive and well. Don't let the AFL dictate what North Melbourne is...don't become another Fitzroy.

Lidge, Rest In Peace mate. 40 was way too soon buddy. My condolences go out to his family, friends and Kangaroos supporters who knew and loved him very much.

They seem to have tried that on a few clubs, unsuccessfully, and they wonder why they're hated.

I would also like to add my thoughts and prayers to Lidge, like many others in this thread have already done.

Although I never knew the man myself, and I obviously wasn't apart of what he did for the North Melbourne Football Club, I know all too well of the passion and love he felt for his beloved Kangaroos. He is still, 3 years after his untimely death, truely an inspirational man.

I too know what it is like to have such a passion for a football club, that it become a part of you. Not only metaphorically, but spiritually and emotionally.

I also know what it's like for that same passion to be threatened by financial insecurity. To have the unknowing feeling of will my club be alive in the future?

St. Kilda was borderline bankrupt by the end of 1986, and if not for a Save Our Saints campaign at Morrabbin Oval mid season to raise money, we would not have made it into 1987. Carlton tried to merge with us, take our players, our identity and our long and proud history. We kept fighting. The talk of relocation, mergers and folding altogether were persistent. And we kept on fighting. Everybody said we would "go to the wall". Yet we kept on fighting. And we eventually thrived financially. It took a hell of a long time to go from hitting rock bottom back in '86 to making a profit in 2009 and 2010 but we did it!

And so will North Melbourne. With the fighting shinboner example that Lidge displayed, not only will North Melbourne survive, you will thrive. It will take time, yes. You will experience heartbrake after heartbrake. But, in the end, you will thrive. The fighting spirit that Lidge displayed, much like that of St. Kilda supporters in the mid 1980's, is what will save the NMFC.

Just keep fighting. Keep Lidge's dream alive and well. Keep all of your dreams alive and well. Don't let the AFL dictate what North Melbourne is...don't become another Fitzroy.

Lidge, Rest In Peace mate. 40 was way too soon buddy. My condolences go out to his family, friends and Kangaroos supporters who knew and loved him very much.

Quality:thumbsu:

Lidge and a couple of others are now honoured forevermore on Bigfooty with a special remembrance.

RIP.

Indeed they are. Well done to the poster who suggested it too.

Lidge and Toots are no doubt banging on about all things footy upstairs right now Asgardian.

happy 44th birthday lidge where ever you are. when north melbourne wins another grand final (i hope over the magpies) i hope you smile.

4 years ago today, hard to fathom how time seems to go quicker each year.

Abi asked me to post something,
not sure what to say other than she and the kids are regulars at North home games. Shane's young bloke Oscar has a quick wit and I am sure he will be posting some gold on here in about 10 years.

Go Roos

not sure what to say other than she and the kids are regulars at North home games. Shane's young bloke Oscar has a quick wit and I am sure he will be posting some gold on here in about 10 years.

Go Roos

The big bloke would have been pretty disappointed with Matty Campbell's non chase on Jetta this arvo.

Hope to see you at a game soon, Sticks.

PHARRO

Go Roos

Geez, that just blows me away. 4 years already? I still have his "Who's ya daddy?" pic on the fridge mate.

Thinking of you guys and, as the Phazz said, hope to see you in your Mick Nolan jumper at a game soon. Thoughts are of course with Abi and the kids as well.

I look forward to handing the mod reigns over to Oscar in about 11 years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a newbie around here I am reading flicking through all the different club boards and came across this and found it very moving, I hope I can humbly express my condolences to North people, it seems you lost someone very very special, someone who rightfully shouldn't be forgotten. Being a female myself I automatically think of Lidges wife and 4 children and what they have lost from their lives too, my heartfelt best wishes to them and I hope they have been able to find peace and happiness again.
Lidge is obviously one of those behind the scenes stories that most of us never get to hear unless you are involved in some way, it would seem he was a driving force in keeping North at home where they belong..good on him..he died young but achieved something truly worthwhile and important in his short life..thats something we would all like to be able to say when it's our time! His Kids must be so so proud of their Dads legacy, and they must miss him terribly.
Again humble, albeit belated, condolences to his friends on here.

i think for the april 21st game, the cheer squad should have something marking 5 years since lidges death. maybe say "Thanks Lidge"

cant believe it has been 5 years since lidge died. something tells me he help in the win against the lions. thanks lidge wherever you are.

I remember Lidge when he used to be a moderator on here. Considering I used to post a lot on here and respond to his trolling when he did troll and cop plenty of infractions, I actually miss him. Wow 5 years ago he passed away. Hope that his family are holding up ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back