Toast Vale Michael Gudinski

Remove this Banner Ad

A day of great sadness with the passing of Michael Gudinski. His extraordinary contribution to Melbourne for music and to our beloved St Kilda Football Club should be celebrated.

Of course also Australia and the world for music but he along with his fellow St Kilda supporting mate, Molly they made Melbourne the city of music from the early 70's to the late 90's . They of course didn't stop in the late 90's but the live music pub scene of that timeframe was the heyday era.

As a fifty year old bloke that hung onto the coat tails of his older siblings in the early to mid 80's and managed to get into places that parents of today would squeam about I'm so sad about his passing. My days of going to pubs watching bands was a very happy part of my life growing up in bayside Melbourne and he absolutely drove that scene. Pubs from Frankston to the city along beach road were full of sweaty punters rocking along to bands thanks to his and Molly's relentless promotion.

He bought Australian music to us through Mushroom then international acts through Frontier. What a legacy. If you're my age and you think of St Kilda FC you think of our many playing legends but I believe you also think of the entertainers who have supported us through thick and thin.

Michael Gudinski served Australian music, he supported Australian musicians and he will be greatly missed by supporters of Australian music.

Michael Gudinski served our football club, he supported our football club and he will be greatly missed by the supporters of the St Kilda football club.

Vale Michael Gudinski. Life was better for all of us because you were enjoying yourself bringing music into our lives. Please have a word with footy God's about our Saints being due!

It wasn’t only Melbourne, the live pub scene was strong even throughout regional Australia back in the day. I’m not sure about Melbourne now but it appears to be pretty much a dead duck these days wherever I visit.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Very sad about Michael Gudinski. What a great influence he had on modern Australian music. Incredible. But he also had an effect on the Saints, working behind the scenes to improve things.

My best mate and best man at my wedding became a Saints fan because of me when he moved to Melbourne. He came from a very successful business family and met lots of influential people in Melbourne. He was quite excited to meet Michael Gudinski because of a great music passion he had. In one of their meetings they got around to talking about the Saints. This may have been 5-7 years ago. We weren't going well and Michael told my mate that he was working together with some other successful businessmen and passionate Saints fans to gradually take control of the Saints . They were trying to give the regime of that time a chance, but were getting ready. No names were given at the time, and my mate said it was in confidence.

As things unfolded over the next period it became apparent that a quiet and bloodless takeover took place with the Bassats front and centre. And what a takeover it has been. My great mate sadly passed away three years ago and I often think back to his Gudinski conversations. Finally a bit of behind the scenes stuff has worked for the Saints, because it hasn't always been so. Various coups etc have ended badly. Groups working against each other.

I think this one was a good one. And Michael Gudinski was in it to a fair degree. Unless he had a rival group that got outdone and I have it wrong. But I don't think so. Pity that he won't be about if we can win that elusive second flag.

Vale MG.

Very sad about Michael Gudinski. What a great influence he had on modern Australian music. Incredible. But he also had an effect on the Saints, working behind the scenes to improve things.

My best mate and best man at my wedding became a Saints fan because of me when he moved to Melbourne. He came from a very successful business family and met lots of influential people in Melbourne. He was quite excited to meet Michael Gudinski because of a great music passion he had. In one of their meetings they got around to talking about the Saints. This may have been 5-7 years ago. We weren't going well and Michael told my mate that he was working together with some other successful businessmen and passionate Saints fans to gradually take control of the Saints . They were trying to give the regime of that time a chance, but were getting ready. No names were given at the time, and my mate said it was in confidence.

As things unfolded over the next period it became apparent that a quiet and bloodless takeover took place with the Bassats front and centre. And what a takeover it has been. My great mate sadly passed away three years ago and I often think back to his Gudinski conversations. Finally a bit of behind the scenes stuff has worked for the Saints, because it hasn't always been so. Various coups etc have ended badly. Groups working against each other.

I think this one was a good one. And Michael Gudinski was in it to a fair degree. Unless he had a rival group that got outdone and I have it wrong. But I don't think so. Pity that he won't be about if we can win that elusive second flag.

Vale MG.

He's always been a huge promoter and supporter of the club. It's not just a disaster for his family it's a disaster for the Saints family. As Bob Murphy said yesterday, the Saints were the rock and roll club, a big part of that was musicians didn't have much chance to take up another club when Gudinski was around. It's really sad that he won't be around for another flag. He deserved to see a second one more than any one.

Noticed Ed Sheeran was wearing what lloked like a St Kilda tie at last night's memorial. If not an official one it was certainly the colours. Nice touch

Michael Gudinski converted a lot of musicians to the Saints over the years. He would have loved the tie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back