Boxing Vale Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Greatest boxer of all time! Long live the greatest!

aliphantomsignedphoto1colour1.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Seriously? See a thread about his passing as a time to take a swipe?
Every past athlete that dies will get a thread on the main board? No you say only ones you consider elite at their sport. This poster simply does not agree. Completely reasonable.

And to everyone saying GOAT. What weight division was he in? Did he ever fight others in different weight divisions? I am curious

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My dad missed my birth because he was watching Ali v Norton 2 and my love of boxing started from that day.

Quote: I’ll tell you how i ‘d like to be remembered: As a Black man who won the heavyweight title who was humorous and who never looked up to him a man who stood for freedom, justice and equality and i wouldn’t even mind if folks forgot how pretty i was.

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Wasn't a fan personally. I mean sure he was great at his chosen sport but he bragged way too much for my tastes. His head seemed constantly up his own arse. I prefer my sportsmen and women to be a little more humble.

I see him as the sporting version of Kanye West in terms of arrogance.
Wow. Dont understand "trash talk"??. Ali was the master of this.
It was not arrogance and even if it were, he had a right to be arrogant. Out of boxing, he was extremely humble.

Greatest athlete? I don't think so, Greatest boxer, yes. RIP, Cassius Clay
I read somewhere that if aliens ever wanted a perfect human specimen , you would give them Ali.

Grew up loving that man.

RIP. :'(

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wasn't a fan personally. I mean sure he was great at his chosen sport but he bragged way too much for my tastes. His head seemed constantly up his own arse. I prefer my sportsmen and women to be a little more humble.

I see him as the sporting version of Kanye West in terms of arrogance.

He was taking the p!ss. Trolling to use the modern vernacular. Ali was a massive fan of legendary professional wrestler Gorgeous George and admitted he borrowed heavily from his persona. Its absolutely hilarious that in 2016, the gullible are still falling for it

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Every past athlete that dies will get a thread on the main board? No you say only ones you consider elite at their sport. This poster simply does not agree. Completely reasonable.

And to everyone saying GOAT. What weight division was he in? Did he ever fight others in different weight divisions? I am curious

What on earth are you on about? He said he had his 'head up his arse', not really appropriate for a thread about his death.

Am getting down Norman Mailer and Hunter Thompson's pieces on the Zaire fight right now.
Read Norman Mailer's "The Fight" , all about his time in Zaire covering the Rumble in the Jungle.

Back