Toast Vale Murray Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

That 58 flag stopped the Demons run to equal our 4peat. They could have won 6 on the trot. I think, in perspective, he was the most important captain of his time. A true hero, not just of the club, but the VFL as a whole.

RIP Murray. Thanks for everything on and off-field. A real testament to him that despite retiring at 27 he's still so fondly remembered for his on-field efforts.

Without Murray, I'm not alive today. My dad was born in early July (2 weeks later than he was due) in 1959, and my pa was a lunatic Pies fan. Go figure... ;)
The ultimate celebration. Good to know your pa also kicked a goal that day. Do you know what position he was. Hahaaa!

That 58 flag stopped the Demons run to equal our 4peat. They could have won 6 on the trot. I think, in perspective, he was the most important captain of his time. A true hero, not just of the club, but the VFL as a whole.
My late father was at the 58 GF with his under 18 club. Always spoke very highly of ‘The Weed.’

Last edited:
Tried to find his famous run in the 1964 GF on Youtube but couldnt find it. It was a classic, up there with Manassa's 1977 GF replay run and Mick McGuanes 1994 7 bounce goal of the year.

here you go - from about the 6 min mark

PS - switch off after Gabo's goal, you may become somewhat sad - I did from standing room in the old Northern Stand :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back