Universal Love Vale Paul Dear - 1991 Norm Smith medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible news.

I was so happy in 91 to be there to see him get his premiership medal. Just seemed like a ripping bloke and somehow he and ray jencke had missed the boat until then.

To top it off with the game of his life and the norm smith was dreamland stuff.

RIP great man. Thoughts with his family and friends.

Last edited:

Was also there for the 91 flag at Waverley. Terribly sad news and tragic for his family. Just hope that one day science can get the upper hand over cancer, but geeze, there’s a long way to go.

One of my favourite players as a kid growing up, very sad to hear this.

Just awful news - when I saw him on the Front Bar and he looked in good shape and good spirits I thought he may have had a chance to beat this bloody thing.

Rest in Power, legend. Thoughts go out to his family and anyone here who knew him.

I was exactly the same. Thoughts to his family and friends. I think there is a special Hawthorn place for players who play arguably their best game in a GF. Dear in 1991 vs Eagles, Langers in 2014 vs Swans and Schoey 2015 vs Eagles.

I one day hope to cross paths with someone happy enough to have that beaming smile on their face that he had in the post match interview in the rooms after the 91 GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An integral part of an amazing footy club during our glory years. Brute strength and power but had great skills to complement it. Sad loss for the Hawthorn community. RIP big fella.

For all the stars on our list during that period it would have been easy to make up the numbers on grand final day. The fact that he shone brightest will forever be in the memory of hawthorn supporters and players alike. A power of strenght and character my heart goes out to his family and friends and the hawthorn family. RIP mate its been a horrible week for our great club

Whilst we knew this day would come, it doesn’t make it easier to hear of his loss. My deepest condolences to the Dear family. My heartfelt thoughts, especially to Paul’s wife. She fought so hard to find an effective treatment for this insidious disease. For anyone who saw Paul Dear play footy, you know the grit and fight in his soul. Farewell, number 13. You will be sorely missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back