Universal Love Vale Paul Dear - 1991 Norm Smith medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

We were all hoping for a miracle, but it wasn't to be.

I'll never forget the look of joy and disbelief on his face when he won the Norm Smith ..."It's a dream come true"

RIP

Hard to fathom this, what a player who played roles as either to short or to slow but was never either. Tough, skilful and committed. RIP Punka

Punka and Steve Lawrence were massive in the 91 finals series. We wouldn’t have won the flag without their contributions. Punka stepped up after Derm injured his knee in the first final at Subiaco.

Gary Ayres talks about Paul Dear on WA radio.

😥

Gary and Paul are the only two hawthorn players to have seasons where they won more Norm Smith Medals than Brownlow votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cherie and her 4 kids will all be on AFL360 tomorrow.
Bound to be a tear jerker, but anyone who's met Cherie will vow she's an absolute star so it doesn't surprise me that she's going to follow through with it as Paul and her had planned.

My SIL is mates with Tim Hargreaves - stories about how PD used to pick him up and drive him everywhere and impart his knowledge, most of which was ignored btw. Genuinely great guy and we are lessor for his absence. Love to his family.

I always loved Paul Dear. He wasn't the right size and he was not the greatest talent but he read the game well, had superb hands and a pretty reliable kick.. He was also versatile and could pinch hit in the ruck as well s play as a second or third forward or block a hole in the back half if necessary. He was your classic journeyman footballer. Tough, honest and dependable. I always had the impression he was a genuinely nice guy, so it is good to hear reports to that effect from people who knew him. I don't think anyone saw the NSM coming. He played out of his skin. I remember one period of play when we were getting plenty of scoring opportunities but scoring points. It seemed that every time the Weagles kicked the ball back in, PD marked it and sent it back. It must have been totally demoralising for the Weagles because they just had nowhere to go.

I always loved Paul Dear. He wasn't the right size and he was not the greatest talent but he read the game well, had superb hands and a pretty reliable kick.. He was also versatile and could pinch hit in the ruck as well s play as a second or third forward or block a hole in the back half if necessary. He was your classic journeyman footballer. Tough, honest and dependable. I always had the impression he was a genuinely nice guy, so it is good to hear reports to that effect from people who knew him. I don't think anyone saw the NSM coming. He played out of his skin. I remember one period of play when we were getting plenty of scoring opportunities but scoring points. It seemed that every time the Weagles kicked the ball back in, PD marked it and sent it back. It must have been totally demoralising for the Weagles because they just had nowhere to go.

well said - plus the freak's job on Lewis just towelled him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back